Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pilot has recently started losing complete power when I come to a stop. Everything turns off (radio, air conditioning) it a complete loss of power. It is usually for less than a second. This morning when it did it, it flashed a brief huge orange error message on my screen for a brief second, but as I was looking at the road, I only caught a glimpse of it. I am not sure what it said. Whatever it was, it didn't leave a permanent check engine or other indication that there was a problem. Have any of you guys had a similar experience or have any idea what I need to tell the dealership, aside from what I just told you guys?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, many 2016 or 2017 Pilots are having this issue, including ours. Neither American Honda Corp. nor dealerships were really acknowledging the issue. The dealer is going to say they “can’t replicate” and don’t see error codes. When our dealership service dept. b.s.’d us about it being an issue with the battery and/or starter (after no test indicated those were actually issues), we sold ours back to avoid getting stuck with a lemon. I have not gotten anywhere yet trying to get Honda to compensate us for additional losses. Nothing short of class-action lawsuit and massive recall will likely change their tune.

I encourage you to check out some of the other conversations on idle-stop/“start-stop” and to file a complaint at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/. And check all the other similar complains at NHTSA.

Luckily, it looks like Honda is at least pretending to look into the real problem, and has provided an advisory (very funny that they jump right into how we “should be able” to restart after it shuts down in middle of traffic, not how to prevent car from blacking out in first place):

NHTSA ID Number: 10163414
Manufacturer Communication Number: APaS07302019905
Summary
Dealer Message - American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (AHM) is investigating certain 2016-2017 Pilot Tourings or Elites with a customer complaint of a no auto re-start condition after going into an auto idle stop. Customer should have been able to re-start the vehicle by placing the gear into the Park position and pressing the Start button. To better understand the cause of this condition, AHM would like to inspect the vehicle prior to you attempting a repair of any kind.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My Pilot has recently started losing complete power when I come to a stop. Everything turns off (radio, air conditioning) it a complete loss of power. It is usually for less than a second. This morning when it did it, it flashed a brief huge orange error message on my screen for a brief second, but as I was looking at the road, I only caught a glimpse of it. I am not sure what it said. Whatever it was, it didn't leave a permanent check engine or other indication that there was a problem. Have any of you guys had a similar experience or have any idea what I need to tell the dealership, aside from what I just told you guys?
The wife had similar experiences when auto idle stop would kick in on our 2016 Touring. I installed a new battery and it seams to have stopped. Does your Pilot have idle stop and does it still have the original battery?

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you have Touring or Elite, it might be the battery. Mine didn't show anything on screen until one day the car just wouldn't move from my driveway. It would turn over but then choke and die. Honda gave me a new battery and it has been fine since. My symptom was the headlights would briefly dim when woken up from start/stop.

·
Registered
276 Posts
my car is coming up to 4 years next month, should I wait for the symptoms or buy a replacement battery now. for those that replaced the battery, when did you acquire your car and whats the milage on it

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
2016 owners should definitely be replacing factory batteries at this stage. If you act before it fails, you won't be stuck on the side of the road for a couple of hours. 2017 owners will start to need replacements soon.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I've had mine since Oct'15. Don't have those symptoms but it's definitely time to replace battery with another quality AGM battery. Was thinking of getting a RedTop or a Bosch. Any recommendations? I'm in Florida so don't really need high CCA as it doesn't freeze over here. Ty.... Battery time folks. Some people have had their dash lights go wonky and it was resolved by replacing the battery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2016 owners should definitely be replacing factory batteries at this stage. If you act before it fails, you won't be stuck on the side of the road for a couple of hours. 2017 owners will start to need replacements soon.
100% agree. I’d had trouble starting my Touring for a while until I replaced the battery with Autozone Duralast Platinum. Now it starts on the first push. Btw I permanently disabled the Auto-Annoy a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'm getting a Champion AGM battery from PepBoys for $160. Good reviews... Made in Germany. I've had great luck with Bosch in the past. Hopefully it serves me well and I can avoid any electrical wonkiness the Pilot tends to exhibit when the battery goes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I saw this after a battery replacement. Turns out the battery connector was loose. The dealer tightened all the connections and everything has been fine since. I have doubts that what I experienced is what others are dealing with, but checking the terminals is a quick thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have ran into the same exact problem as original poster.
This is a 2016 Pilot Touring AWD (ZF-9 transmission).
Bought in July 2015. We have just 22K miles on it...

The car stopped in the middle of a busy highway, with my 5 year old, strapped in the child seat, as the car it was slowing down before a stop.
Then, because it was on the hill, it started rolling back!

Had to engage hand brake, turn emergency signals, wait for several minutes.... while hoping that nobody hits us from the back..

A horrifying experience to say the least. Sorry for re-iterating details...

The car had given us zero indication that the AGM battery that's installed , is running out of service.
There were no problem starting the car... ever. No problem restarting it after engine-shut off feature...

The car had had 'Auto engine off' button turned off at the time.

After 3-4 hours of diagnosis at the dealership. We are told it is 'the battery', and are given 300 $USD replacement option....

So a couple of questions to the members of this knowledgeable community:

1) Will we negatively affect service record if I tell them I will replace the battery myself?
In other words, if the car starts behaving same way in say 1.2 years from now (after 5 K miles with our rate of driving)… will they tell me 'your replacement was no good'?...

I actually do not plan to replace myself.. .even though I would like a better quality battery, if is critical to the safety of the moving vehicle..., so just a question.

2) If the dealership diagnostics is, indeed, correct. Then it would be mean that Honda Pilot's electronics was running some safety-critical computation, without checking if the power source to support that computation is healthy enough for the job...

A question here, why would they not have some self-checking every time a car starts, or periodically when it runs, that power sourcing is good enough shape to support safety critical computation?
Is that outside of the realm of design for passenger cars?

3) Dealer said that, the cars log indicated that there was a low voltage during the self-shutdown event.
But then, there was nothing on the car panels saying: 'see dealership immediately, something was wrong with voltage...".. Nothing, no warning signs...
So it seems that the car's safety system, did not think the even was critical/significant enough in the first place...

My question here is: are there any indicators that I can check on a reasonably infrequent basis (and without complex/expensive tools), that the car had reached this dangerous state, before I drive it?

I just cannot imaging this happening again, when I am on a highway while slowing down, or, worse yet, while navigating slow, curvy mountain road, going uphill...

My car was for a service and oil change at the same dealership in June (so this is less than 3 months ago), and there were no issues/warnings/reports.. nothing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have any of you tried to read the computer codes? I would like to know the codes its throwing. Go to Amazon and get same day delivery for $99 on a BlueDriver OBD2 reader that sends all data from ALL MODULES including engine and transmission.
I'm loving this thing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We have ran into the same exact problem as original poster.
This is a 2016 Pilot Touring AWD (ZF-9 transmission).
Bought in July 2015. We have just 22K miles on it...

The car stopped in the middle of a busy highway, with my 5 year old, strapped in the child seat, as the car it was slowing down before a stop.
Then, because it was on the hill, it started rolling back!

Had to engage hand brake, turn emergency signals, wait for several minutes.... while hoping that nobody hits us from the back..

A horrifying experience to say the least. Sorry for re-iterating details...

The car had given us zero indication that the AGM battery that's installed , is running out of service.
There were no problem starting the car... ever. No problem restarting it after engine-shut off feature...

The car had had 'Auto engine off' button turned off at the time.

After 3-4 hours of diagnosis at the dealership. We are told it is 'the battery', and are given 300 $USD replacement option....

So a couple of questions to the members of this knowledgeable community:

1) Will we negatively affect service record if I tell them I will replace the battery myself?
In other words, if the car starts behaving same way in say 1.2 years from now (after 5 K miles with our rate of driving)… will they tell me 'your replacement was no good'?...

I actually do not plan to replace myself.. .even though I would like a better quality battery, if is critical to the safety of the moving vehicle..., so just a question.

2) If the dealership diagnostics is, indeed, correct. Then it would be mean that Honda Pilot's electronics was running some safety-critical computation, without checking if the power source to support that computation is healthy enough for the job...

A question here, why would they not have some self-checking every time a car starts, or periodically when it runs, that power sourcing is good enough shape to support safety critical computation?
Is that outside of the realm of design for passenger cars?

3) Dealer said that, the cars log indicated that there was a low voltage during the self-shutdown event.
But then, there was nothing on the car panels saying: 'see dealership immediately, something was wrong with voltage...".. Nothing, no warning signs...
So it seems that the car's safety system, did not think the even was critical/significant enough in the first place...

My question here is: are there any indicators that I can check on a reasonably infrequent basis (and without complex/expensive tools), that the car had reached this dangerous state, before I drive it?

I just cannot imaging this happening again, when I am on a highway while slowing down, or, worse yet, while navigating slow, curvy mountain road, going uphill...

My car was for a service and oil change at the same dealership in June (so this is less than 3 months ago), and there were no issues/warnings/reports.. nothing.
In terms of the Honda configuring which warnings fire the check engine light, I would say I'm a bit surprised why some serious warnings may only ever throw a check engine light once if ever. Let's say you get a check engine light, you do something to try to fix it, and clear the check engine light. What I noticed is that there are codes that wont fire the check engine light again once you clear it. The code will still be thrown, but the check engine wont light again.
My suggestion would be what I stated in another response, get a OBD2 reader and check often.
I have BlueDriver bluetooth reader that has an iOS and Android app and I just constantly leave the reader plugged in and now I use the mobile app to check issues with the car.
It has live data so you may be able to read the voltage maybe.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Not sure if it is everywhere, but my dealership gives a 100 month replacement warranty. That’s hard to beat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, common issue with 16 and 17 models. I have a 16 touring, had 12k miles on it when this started. Nearly got me killed when it stalled out at expressway underpass. Wouldn't restart and once it did all was well as if nothing ever happened. Of course dealership can't replicate or see any error code but stated my battery was faulty and needed replacement. Search idol stop issues and you will find many more stories. They switched to different idol stop mechanics in 18 and issue resolved. I HAVE to manually turn off idol stop every time I get in the car or issue repeats itself. Dealership can't turn off the feature. File a report with NHSTA and Honda. This is a dangerous issue and needs a proper recall. A fellow owner who uses same oil change shop had hers seize up while traveling 70mps down the interstate... These are new and expensive cars and has changed my strong view of Honda reliability

1 - 16 of 16 Posts