Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has already been addressed, wondering if anyone has experienced this sound while reversing. It happens virtually every time I parallel park in from of my house. 1-3 metallic clanking sounds. Need to get it resolved or an answer before I hit 36k!

Thanks, appreciate any input

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Apologies if this has already been addressed, wondering if anyone has experienced this sound while reversing. It happens virtually every time I parallel park in from of my house. 1-3 metallic clanking sounds. Need to get it resolved or an answer before I hit 36k!

Thanks, appreciate any input
Is there any way to get a recording of the sound?
What part of the car does the sound come from?

·
Registered
268 Posts
If it happens when applying the brake in reverse it’s probably the brake pads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it happens when applying the brake in reverse it’s probably the brake pads.
Thanks for responding. I do live on a slight incline so I definitely have my foot on the brake when I'm backing into the curb. Please see YouTube link in previous post to see video. Turn up your volume and you'll hear the sound at 00:04. Thank you

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Thanks for your reply, I've uploaded a video to You Tube which can be found here:

Sound occurs at 00:04 in the video, and seems to be coming from the front end.

Thanks again
I heard it. Hate to speculate. Maybe someone will have a definite answer.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Speculate away, I've been doing that my whole life ha ha
Lol, ok. Pure speculation...,
As @Cbayman said, with your foot on the brake, the brake pad experiences more friction in reverse causing them to grab and pop instead of sliding smoothly.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hard to tell from your video but that doesn’t sound like brake pad click. Almost sounds like something hitting one of the disk brake shields. Will it occur in reverse without touching the brake? See if you can narrow it down to one of the wheels.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hard to tell from your video but that doesn’t sound like brake pad click. Almost sounds like something hitting one of the disk brake shields. Will it occur in reverse without touching the brake? See if you can narrow it down to one of the wheels.
My first thought is brake pad shift leading to click as described in video. Try shifting into reverse and removing foot smoothly from brake pedal completely and see if it makes the sound.

Could the disk brake shield getting tapped or rubbed too. You can check for that by removing suspected wheel and turning rotor by hard to check for rubs. Also good time to check the caliper bracket bolt torques and other suspension items that might be loose or making the noise.

I had one axle on 06 Pilot that was making the brake pad click noticably for me which went away when I changed pads and the caliper spring clip guides that are on the caliper bracket - I was careful to apply the Honda recommended moly paste where Honda specified also, that will dampen any squeaks or clicks too. So, if you dont find anything loose or rubbing, changing pads and guide clips might fix it too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts