Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm closing the rear gate tonight and I notice there is a bunch of rust underneath where your fingers go to find the gate button. How is there rust on a 2016 already and how is it on a spot of the car that should be basically protected from the elements??? And what can I do about it???

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You can complain to Honda to no avail probably. Do you have any type of extended warranty? There's no way there should be rust. The dealer probably won't help, but I'd start there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There have been some issues with water getting inside the liftgate. This was happening on my 2017 EX. I took it to the dealer and they said they found a deteriorated seal around the taillamps and they replaced or repaired it. I will be looking for signs of rust now on mine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can complain to Honda to no avail probably. Do you have any type of extended warranty? There's no way there should be rust. The dealer probably won't help, but I'd start there.
I have never heard of an extended warranty of any sort which would cover rust, factory backed or aftermarket.

Honda provides a rust perforation warranty for 5 years or unlimited miles. That would not usually cover rust on a body panel unless there was an underlying defect in the part or the paint.

Best to take it to a dealer and have it documented and looked at.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have never heard of an extended warranty of any sort which would cover rust, factory backed or aftermarket.

Honda provides a rust perforation warranty for 5 years or unlimited miles. That would not usually cover rust on a body panel unless there was an underlying defect in the part or the paint.

Best to take it to a dealer and have it documented and looked at.
I figured "bumper to bumper" might cover if it's a defect. I mean it has to be a defect of some kind.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll get a pic on here tonight. I assume it has to be a defect as well. I have a hard time imagining it's ever even been wet where the rust it. I have the honda warranty to 120,000 miles I think, and I know that doesn't cover rust, but if it's rusting because of a defect in the lift gate, that seems like a gripe worth talking to them about. I shouldn't have rust on a 2016 yet right???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Join the club. I was under my Pilot last week to change ATF, and was very displeased to see the state of some of the suspension and underbody components. Odd thing is that other parts looked brand new? I live in Atlanta, damp but no salt whatsoever.

Bad QC?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this a place I should be finding rust? It doesn't seem like this area ever gets wet. Could it be rusting internally some how? I'm already getting discoloration on the paint below it where the rust is dripping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There was an issue in early 3rd gens with water getting inside the tailgate. As mentioned above, Honda warrants rust perforation for a period of 5 years with unlimited mileage to the original owner. If there’s also corrosion inside the tailgate it may be covered by warranty. That area of the tailgate gets exposed to quite a bit of moisture while driving on wet roads. It could also be surface rust. If bare sheet metal was exposed by a scratch or factory defect, you most likely wouldn’t have noticed until the rust appeared.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I'm closing the rear gate tonight and I notice there is a bunch of rust underneath where your fingers go to find the gate button. How is there rust on a 2016 already and how is it on a spot of the car that should be basically protected from the elements??? And what can I do about it???

Thanks for any help.
The rust is caused by the plastic "ledge" rubbing against the painted surface of the tail gate. When plastic is molded, it can have a rough or sharp edge. It rubs against the tailgate and over a period of time it allows rust to start forming in that spot. I've already been through this with Honda. American Honda won't do anything about this. The actual warranty is "rust perforation or defects in material or workmanship". This is a material/workmanship issue. I took this issue up with the Better Business Bureau in my area and after filing a complaint the local dealer agreed to take care of the problem. Honda DOES NOT participate in the arbitration process here in New York State. My logic was, if you by a defective toaster in Wal Mart do they tell you to take it up with the manufacturer? When the local dealer was held responsible for not doing anything the BBB got involved. If that doesn't work for you, post something on Yelp, Facebook, or a Google review. Social media goes a long way now days. I retired as an automotive quality engineer and during my career I took GM to arbitration several times...and always won. Don't let the dealer tell you than they can't do anything about it. American Honda won't do anything about it either. There is NO reason to have rust in this area, it's reminiscent of quality issues circa 1970's. The Honda cars you're buying here that are made in the USA are of USA quality we had before the Japanese imported better cars. Now that they're being made here you're getting American Quality. This will probably be my last Honda based on their initial response to my problem. Kudo's to the dealership for stepping up to avoid the response from American Honda.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yikes...that is all-bad for a new car. The leaking problem has been a known fault on 3G Pilots. A service technician mentioned a TSB on clogged tailgate drains which lead to water collecting inside the tailgate. Throughout the vehicle, there is a systems of channels and drains to prevent water intrusion. Here is a link to a guy with a similar problem (albeit a Ford Explorer owner)

Even though its a different car, the drainage systems in cars and trucks all work on the same principle. That is to divert excess water away from the vehicle. The main defect you need to look for is damage to ANY of the rubber gaskets and seals around windows and doors. Look at EVERY possible spot with a bright flashlight. Don't rule out any tiny cracks or pits in these seals, they will wick (or draw) water inside the vehicle via capillary action.

If all else fails, there are specialized services that will come to you and fix the leak. They use specialized fog machines and borescopes to locate where the seal has failed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts