Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My 2016 pilot suffered the dreaded Christmas tree light on dashboard with a diagnosed fuel injector issue at 57k miles.
After tons of back and forth on who should cover it, I found a the tsb that said Honda extended warranty to 10yr 150k and they (begrudgingly) accepted.
My question now, the service advisor is saying following replacement of the injectors, I’ll need new spark plugs and need to perform a valve adjustment for a simple $900.

I don’t recall reading this on the forums and tried to do a search but nothing as far as it being performed.

Do y’all know if this is just a ploy to get me to spend more money?

I can do the spark plugs on my own, but never done valve adjustments. It sounds like a pain.

thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Valve adjustment at 60k mi??? I call that bull shit...

Ask them to replace your polen filter instead...
You can ring Honda Canada or USA to verify with them,. But I'm 100% positive that replacing injectors won't touch the valve train.. and if Honda's need valve adjustment before 100k miles, I'm done with them...

I'm with you on milking you before you leave...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hi all,
My 2016 pilot suffered the dreaded Christmas tree light on dashboard with a diagnosed fuel injector issue at 57k miles.
After tons of back and forth on who should cover it, I found a the tsb that said Honda extended warranty to 10yr 150k and they (begrudgingly) accepted.
My question now, the service advisor is saying following replacement of the injectors, I’ll need new spark plugs and need to perform a valve adjustment for a simple $900.

I don’t recall reading this on the forums and tried to do a search but nothing as far as it being performed.

I can do the spark plugs on my own, but never done valve adjustments. It sounds like a pain.

thanks!
Tell them if new spark plugs and a valve adjustment are needed after replacement of the injectors, then it should say so in the tsb and Honda should pay for it. If the injectors needed replacing due to getting carbon clogged, I could see replacing the plugs. But if it's an excessive carbon problem, adjusting the valves won't help nor would it be required. Sounds like they're just on an emotional vendetta because you found the tsb they didn't tell you about.

Valves don't need adjusting at 57k miles. It's not that difficult but it takes time. The rear bank is harder. It's just tedious, checking with a feeler gauge, setting the lock nut, check again, check the no go gauge, etc. Mostly by feel on the rear bank as it's difficult to see back there. But it's not something you'll need to worry about for another 57k miles.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Definitely BS... I just had my injectors replaced at just shy of 60k miles and I know that the sparkplugs were good because I had inspected them just prior to the service. Honda covered everything and my dealership mentioned nothing about sparkplugs or valves. I don't know why they would balk at the cost because Honda is reimbursing the dealership under the service bulletin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input!
Service advisor recommended that adjusting the valves and spark plugs would decrease the carbon buildup to lead to another injector failure.

Im definitely not having them do the maintenance on the principle alone of fighting me tooth and nail of covering the warranty. Heck I’d bring it to another dealership for a second opinion if they didn’t charge me 160$ for diagnosing the issue.

think I’ll just do the spark plugs myself after the injectors are replaced. Aren’t the iridium ones good until 90-100k ish?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
The spark plugs should last to at least 100k miles. Valve adjustment isn't done until the first timing belt (~100k) but most people don't have to adjust the valves until 200k.
The injectors should be an updated part which shouldn't be as prone to failure.
Their logic may not be completely wrong, but I wouldn't do it. They are likely trying to recoup some of the money that they didn't get by replacing your injectors for free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely BS... I just had my injectors replaced at just shy of 60k miles and I know that the sparkplugs were good because I had inspected them just prior to the service. Honda covered everything and my dealership mentioned nothing about sparkplugs or valves. I don't know why they would balk at the cost because Honda is reimbursing the dealership under the service bulletin.
They are "balking at the cost" because Honda is only going to pay them what it costs for them to do it so they get no markup on the parts or labor or any other bs charges they try to throw in for us retail customers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,

thanks!
I never heard that at all , mine just shuddered and Check light came on , limp mode
I was at 34k , injectors and gaskets galore all covered at no cost , go to a better dealership

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
279 Posts
wonder why these are failing, what is the TSB number and what does it say? They probably want to do the additional work because it will be needed eventually in the next few years. Might as well knock it all out at once that is unless you feel confident doing it yourself, then I would wait. Pull a plug and check it, looks good, keep running.

·
Registered
868 Posts
wonder why these are failing, what is the TSB number and what does it say? They probably want to do the additional work because it will be needed eventually in the next few years. Might as well knock it all out at once that is unless you feel confident doing it yourself, then I would wait. Pull a plug and check it, looks good, keep running.
My plugs looked great but I was still getting the P0430 code and I did not want to ruin the cat converter. I was going to replace the injectors myself but fortunately the service bulletin came out and my 2016 was covered. The injectors are not failing and it is just carbon buildup on the nozzles that affects the spray pattern resulting in poor combustion. I am sure that they could be cleaned but they would have to be removed from the engine to do it so the labour costs, new seals and gaskets would be almost as expensive as just replacing them with new ones.

·
Registered
868 Posts
They are "balking at the cost" because Honda is only going to pay them what it costs for them to do it so they get no markup on the parts or labor or any other bs charges they try to throw in for us retail customers.
That is the reason why I hate going to dealerships. That is why it is important to know your vehicle and have an good understanding of what is required to repair it. Way too many people get sucked in to unnecessary repairs and I am not surprised that a lot of them are not covered under warranty.
There are still some good dealerships out there and I was fortunate to have found one nearby. Dropped the car off at 10AM and they called at noon to say it was ready and they even refunded me the cost of a new start/stop switch that I had purchased from them back in July.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
That is the reason why I hate going to dealerships.
A lot of dealers really seem to be exploiting this whole valve adjustment / timing belt / transmission fluid change gravy train. too. The general public doesn't really understand how lousy warranty work pays a dealer compared to retail work like valve adjustments, etc. A tight exhaust valve (tight intake valves are rare) could cause a misfire and this would be indirectly related to the fuel injector complaint, but it's unlikely at that low mileage and a hot compression test could rule it out anyway.

People talk about these engines as if adjustable valves and a timing belt are negatives. This Honda SOHC valvetrain holds a factory adjustment for a really long time. Hydraulic valve adjusters cause lots of problems way before this Honda valvetrain will give you any problems. +1 on staying informed and understanding how engines and cars work.

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
No need to replace the spark plugs or get a valve lash. That dealership is being petty because you caught them trying to make a buck off of you when they knew the warranty was extended. Now they are trying to get money out of you to be spiteful. Have them replace your injectors under warranty and never go back to that dealership again. I would also leave a bad review about them on Google. I left a bad review about a Goodyear on Google and within a few hours the manager called me and made everything right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

thanks!
I had the same incident too. The dealership told me it was going to be 1700$ to fix the injectors with labor. So, I read about it before on here because I was getting the Xmas tree lights on dash. If you ask them for a one time service repair they may help you. There is a key phrase you must say, but it amounts to them servicing on the house or at a steep discount. In my case I covered half the cost.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I had the same incident too. The dealership told me it was going to be 1700$ to fix the injectors with labor. So, I read about it before on here because I was getting the Xmas tree lights on dash. If you ask them for a one time service repair they may help you. There is a key phrase you must say, but it amounts to them servicing on the house or at a steep discount. In my case I covered half the cost.
I am assuming that your Pilot did not qualify for the extended warranty. If it is a 2016 model, it should have been fully covered and I hope that it is extended to cover later models too as they are having similar issues. They should be refunding you what you had to pay out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am assuming that your Pilot did not qualify for the extended warranty. If it is a 2016 model, it should have been fully covered and I hope that it is extended to cover later models too as they are having similar issues. They should be refunding you what you had to pay out.
It is a 2016, but the warranty expired two months previous to the incident; however, I brought the vehicle in 2x for the Christmas tree problem,
So that’s how I justified them fixing it beyond the warranty.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It is a 2016, but the warranty expired two months previous to the incident; however, I brought the vehicle in 2x for the Christmas tree problem,
So that’s how I justified them fixing it beyond the warranty.
The warranty on the injectors is for 10 years or 150k miles in the Service Bulletin A20-100 which is attached. I would be going after the dealer for your out of pocket.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts