Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm officially another victim of the fuel injector problem on the 2016 Honda Pilot. Sitting at 70K miles with no warranty looking at a $1600 repair bill from the Honda dealership. Dang! -- there went my new couch for Christmas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sure this is frustrating, but realistically, your best option is to have the injectors replaced and keep driving it.

I can almost guarantee that the actual number of vehicles affected by this issue is low enough that it is a lot cheaper for Honda to lose a few hundred customers than to absorb the parts and labor cost to replace the injectors. I don't see this becoming a voluntary recall since the only symptom seems to be an emissions system warning which doesn't present a significant safety issue.
How long would injector replacement last? I had mine replaced in Jan and here in Nov. Same prob. I use top tier gas.. I slowly pull out the gas pump after putting gas in. Helllllp! So so frustrating and just not fair for me to be paying this out of my pocket

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am extremely disappointed in my 2016 Pilot. Just hit 66,000 miles and sure enough the dreaded emission error. The dealer wants $1,500 to replace all injectors and fuel joint pipe. My neighbor down the street has the exact same Pilot with the exact same issue. Coincidence I think not. I had an Odyssey that was very reliable for 12 years however, this Pilot will be my last Honda and won't be shy about telling everyone I know how disappointed I am.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am extremely disappointed in my 2016 Pilot. Just hit 66,000 miles and sure enough the dreaded emission error. The dealer wants $1,500 to replace all injectors and fuel joint pipe. My neighbor down the street has the exact same Pilot with the exact same issue. Coincidence I think not. I had an Odyssey that was very reliable for 12 years however, this Pilot will be my last Honda and won't be shy about telling everyone I know how disappointed I am.
While I can certainly understand the disappointment, I have two comments:

1. You think Honda is bad? I assure you that the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

2. Owners on the Pilot and Ridgeline forums have been reporting that Honda has been covering some or all of the cost for new injectors on a case-by-case basis that is influenced by factors such as time, mileage, service history, and how many Honda's you've previously owned.

·
Registered
164 Posts
2017 Pilot Touring. Reaching 42K miles.

Got multiple lights and warnings last week for the first time. Took it to dealer and they said nothing critical and to come back as soon as I can get some time (was not able to drop off the car that day). Two days later, on the way to the dealer, all warning went away. The dealer reported back that there was misfire code and they cleared it and to report back if the problem resurfaced.

It did! A couple of days ago got the same symptoms. Today dropped off the car at the dealer. They reported back their diagnosis: cylinder misfire codes, root cause fuel injectors. They are going to replace the injectors (under Honda Care warranty).

Upon inquiring more about the problem, the service advisor said that Honda is aware of the problem. They have seen it often but is not widely prevalent (paraphrasing here). The replacement fuel injectors are improved injectors and thus is the resolution to this issue by Honda.

Will update if I learn anything new

BTW, I have seen multiple reports of this issue here in this thread around 41K mileage. Interesting!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just chiming in that our Pilot, a 2016 EX AWD no-nav, had this issue, twice. Once at like 3500 miles, and again at like 17000. Replaced under warranty each time. Hasn't happened since. Now have 70,000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are having the same issue at 54k miles. Our repair estimate is 2400$ which is higher than most I’ve read on this thread! I did not authorize our dealership / service department to do any repairs but I complained about the estimate and they said they are putting in paper work to ask the “ppl above” to help cover the costs. My question is whether or not I should leave this up to them, or is it better if I also put in a request myself?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are having the same issue at 54k miles. Our repair estimate is 2400$ which is higher than most I’ve read on this thread! I did not authorize our dealership / service department to do any repairs but I complained about the estimate and they said they are putting in paper work to ask the “ppl above” to help cover the costs. My question is whether or not I should leave this up to them, or is it better if I also put in a request myself?
Update: I just heard back from my service / dealer (that was fast) that Honda will help pay for this repair. I’ll update with more $ details after the work is done. Grateful for this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm officially another victim of the fuel injector problem on the 2016 Honda Pilot. Sitting at 70K miles with no warranty looking at a $1600 repair bill from the Honda dealership. Dang! -- there went my new couch for Christmas.
I had the same issue for 2016 Pilot(52,000 miles) in Aug, 2019. Paid $1250 and I immediately bought Extended Warranty from Honda Dealership for $1528(4 years/48 months). I always had issues with 3 of my 4 Honda cars. I somehow feel Hondas are overrated compared to other brand cars. I had 2005 Honda Odyssey and I spent atleast $10,000 in repairs even before I drove 100,000 miles. Luckily, I had extended warranty that paid almost $7000 out of it. On the whole, my experience says that Honda cars are not as great as many people believe them.They have stylish cars but not as reliable as Toyotas are.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same issue for 2016 Pilot(52,000 miles) in Aug, 2019. Paid $1250 and I immediately bought Extended Warranty from Honda Dealership for $1528(4 years/48 months). I always had issues with 3 of my 4 Honda cars. I somehow feel Hondas are overrated compared to other brand cars. I had 2005 Honda Odyssey and I spent atleast $10,000 in repairs even before I drove 100,000 miles. Luckily, I had extended warranty that paid almost $7000 out of it. On the whole, my experience says that Honda cars are not as great as many people believe them.They have stylish cars but not as reliable as Toyotas are.
You're right. Honda has fallen to merely "average" over the past couple of decades while Acura is swimming at the bottom of the reliability ratings pit with Volkswagen and Alfa Romeo. The most reliable brands are now Toyota/Lexus and Mazda.

Fortunately, Honda is beginning to realize where they went wrong and plans to do something about it. That doesn't help right now, but over the next several years we will hopefully see Honda climbing back to the top.

Reliability isn't a top priority for me because I normally don't keep a vehicle past the factory warranty period, although I do prefer avoiding the inconvenience of warranty repairs. Because I trade often, resale value is important. If quality doesn't improve, resale value will sink, too, which will force me to look at other brands.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts