Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2016 pilot ex brand new in 2015. Fell in love with it. It is now sep 2019 and i am at 78,000 mi. I first started seeing the emission systems issue at around 65k mi but it would come and go. I actually took my car to the dealership around 65k mi early 2019 to address a recall about ceiling clips, i also mentioned the emissions message but of course the error went away. I was then told it was most likely a sensor issue. I went on to drive for months without any noticeable performance issues with the error message coming and going still. Fast fwd to August 2019, emissions message now lights up constantly. I'm now told it's the fuel injectors by the dealership and they all need to be replaced= $1800. I didn't ok the service and drove off saddened that I'd have to spend so much on an expensive repair i didn't expect so soon. I am flying out for a week but when i get home im calling Honda to hopefully get some help with this issue. I only hope i can have a fraction of the luck that some of you have had that are outside warranty. Thx for sharing your experiences and advice guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I actually have a 2016 Honda Fit with the same issue. This seems to be common to both Pilots and Fitzs.

I am gauging interest in a class action lawsuit against Honda because of this defect. I have posted a similar message on a Honda Fit Forum.
What I'm wondering is, have you had to deal with this issue, either in or out of warranty, and do you have an interest in pursuing this via a class action lawsuit. Thanks,
Nick T
I am totally SO interested in a class action lawsuit. What info do you need to include me? I have a 2016 Pilot and my fuel injectors are causing a TON of issues because of the stupid "Earth Dreams super efficient engine." I think it's crap, and I want someone to be held accountable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
but when i get home im calling Honda to hopefully get some help with this issue. I only hope i can have a fraction of the luck that some of you have had that
I just took mine in for this issue, and I got a report back stating Per service bulletin 18-025 the vehicle fails the a/f cylinder test and the injectors have to be replaced. My Pilot has 44,000 miles on it - it should need NOTHING!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I can't believe the number of reported issues here. I have a 2016 Honda Pilot Elite with 68,000 miles. Emissions systems light and 5 other warning lights came on over the weekend when we were on a trip 200 miles from home. We were a little paranoid, but drove home fine over 2 mountain passes. I took the car into the dealership this morning and was told that all the fuel injectors need replaced. We have the extended warranty and the dealer says it is covered. In answer to a couple questions I saw: (1) Warranty was purchased from the dealer. Cost of the extended warranty looks similar to the cost of replacing the fuel injectors, so pick your poison. As this vehicle is far more complicated than my 2004 Honda Accord that is still rolling with over 230k miles, I purchased it for peace of mind. (2) I drive my Pilot with the "Eco" system off. I find I get better gas mileage without it. Go figure!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just took mine in for this issue, and I got a report back stating Per service bulletin 18-025 the vehicle fails the a/f cylinder test and the injectors have to be replaced. My Pilot has 44,000 miles on it - it should need NOTHING!
So i called Honda NA customer care, i told them how many miles the pilot has (80k), the rep told me, if i take the car to the dealership and they can diagnose a faulty fuel injector system, then it will be covered. I haven't called the dealership back yet since i refused the service a couple weeks ago, and im not sure how they will address this. Will post update once i do

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am totally SO interested in a class action lawsuit. What info do you need to include me? I have a 2016 Pilot and my fuel injectors are causing a TON of issues because of the stupid "Earth Dreams super efficient engine." I think it's crap, and I want someone to be held accountable.
Count me in! I have this issue for nearly 1 year. My car was 46k miles when it first popped and now 59k miles without a solution.They made software update first, then run diagnosis and finally find the injection system problem. American Honda offered to cover only 25% of the cost. They are offering A18-025 service bulletin procedures, which was issued by Honda because of a chronic problem but offering to cover only 25% of the cost.I asked American Honda to send a written answer for my case, they refuse it. One last thing, even with injection system replacement, they don't guarantee that "Emission System Problem" light will not come back for a certain miles. This is a great example for a terrible customer relations service!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Count me in! I have this issue for nearly 1 year. My car was 46k miles when it first popped and now 59k miles without a solution.They made software update first, then run diagnosis and finally find the injection system problem. American Honda offered to cover only 25% of the cost. They are offering A18-025 service bulletin procedures, which was issued by Honda because of a chronic problem but offering to cover only 25% of the cost.I asked American Honda to send a written answer for my case, they refuse it. One last thing, even with injection system replacement, they don't guarantee that "Emission System Problem" light will not come back for a certain miles. This is a great example for a terrible customer relations service!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2016 pilot has been at the dealer for 6 days to replace the fuel injectors- they are in back order- which tells me this is a growing problem! We bought the extended warranty- thank goodness but still have a $600 bill bc the fuel joints they have to “break” to get to the fuel injectors are not covered! This is ridiculous. Please add me to any class action law suit or recall information.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Was anyone in California able to get this repaired for free (power train warranty or not?). My pilot just hit 50k miles and popped up and went away. Hoping to take it in next time it shows and try and get it replaced for good while still under power train warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This makes my stomach hurt. My 2016 Pilot that I bought used with 64,000 on it is now in the shop with this very problem. My extended warranty is through the Warranty Group. I'm on a full week of waiting for approval. I have the premium warranty so I am hoping this is covered. BUT what is worse is the dealership is telling me that it could be WEEKS before they even have the parts to fix this problem. Once they "fix" the injectors have your cars been ok? Should I be looking to off load this pilot? It's said - my old 2004 Pilot has 215,000 on her and she runs amazingly good. It was why I purchased another Pilot. I had no problems with my '04. Defiantly looking for guidance and interested in the class action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Writing this post makes me so depressed. We bought a Honda Pilot EX 2016 for my wife only a month ago from a Hyundai dealer. It is at 62k miles and we put 350 miles since we bought it. The check engine and emission light came on 3 days ago. We took it to the dealer right away and I was searching online in the meantime and found this thread. I was told today that one of the cylinders is misfiring and all fuel injectors need to be replaced with an estimated cost of $1700. The car is still at the dealer waiting for a response from me. I called Honda America. They told me there is no recall and warranty is over, yes I knew those, but I had trusted the Honda brand. My 2011 Crosstour is at 147k and we never changed the fuel injectors there. I tried to tell them this is happening way too early for a Honda. The lady on the phone was sympathetic to my cause and forwarded to the service to see if they can help under a "goodwill" assistance, but nothing guaranteed. They will get back to me in a few days while we are out of a car. What is really sad and disappointing to me that we had put all of our savings for a down payment and a loan to get this "reliable" car so that the baby can be safe on the highway. It replaced my wife's Toyota Matrix 2004, which didn't have ABS breaks. Now, I feel like a failure as a father to waste family's money in what I thought was a great deal. I would be happy to join if there is any class-action lawsuit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I actually have a 2016 Honda Fit with the same issue. This seems to be common to both Pilots and Fitzs.

I am gauging interest in a class action lawsuit against Honda because of this defect. I have posted a similar message on a Honda Fit Forum.
What I'm wondering is, have you had to deal with this issue, either in or out of warranty, and do you have an interest in pursuing this via a class action lawsuit. Thanks,
Nick T
YES ! I have proof they covered up their Probable cause - TSB 18-025 version from Apr 7, 2019 . . . "The injectors were installed improperly at the factory and/or contamination was introduced to the fuel system that is affecting the flow". This was version 2. Version 3, April 6,1019 . . .Probable cause - Debris from the high pressure pump or the fuel injector machining process can cause internal wear or clogging inside the injector". NOTE CHANGE OF WORDING !

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I had known this we would not have purchased two used 2016 pilots.One with the less mileage 48,000 just came up with the emission problem. The other one has 80,000 and no problems so far. But it might have already been changed out. It had 60,000 when we got it. I’m in for the lawsuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I had known this we would not have purchased two used 2016 pilots.One with the less mileage 48,000 just came up with the emission problem. The other one has 80,000 and no problems so far. But it might have already been changed out. It had 60,000 when we got it. I’m in for the lawsuit.
Writing this post makes me so depressed. We bought a Honda Pilot EX 2016 for my wife only a month ago from a Hyundai dealer. It is at 62k miles and we put 350 miles since we bought it. The check engine and emission light came on 3 days ago. We took it to the dealer right away and I was searching online in the meantime and found this thread. I was told today that one of the cylinders is misfiring and all fuel injectors need to be replaced with an estimated cost of $1700. The car is still at the dealer waiting for a response from me. I called Honda America. They told me there is no recall and warranty is over, yes I knew those, but I had trusted the Honda brand. My 2011 Crosstour is at 147k and we never changed the fuel injectors there. I tried to tell them this is happening way too early for a Honda. The lady on the phone was sympathetic to my cause and forwarded to the service to see if they can help under a "goodwill" assistance, but nothing guaranteed. They will get back to me in a few days while we are out of a car. What is really sad and disappointing to me that we had put all of our savings for a down payment and a loan to get this "reliable" car so that the baby can be safe on the highway. It replaced my wife's Toyota Matrix 2004, which didn't have ABS breaks. Now, I feel like a failure as a father to waste family's money in what I thought was a great deal. I would be happy to join if there is any class-action lawsuit.

Update: I have been communicating with Honda America and they offer to assist with the repair, my new quote is $898 plus tax. It is still a lot for a 3 year old car, and hurts to make that payment after owning it for a month, but Honda didn't budge. They said, there is no recall, we don't have to assist with it.

In one of the posts, there was a recommendation to make post on nhtsa website. You should consider doing that. I entered my post and experience and this was the response:
---------------------
What happens next?

Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you.

Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at www.SaferCar.gov with your family, friends and others in your community.

Will my vehicle be recalled?

When a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a car or item of motor vehicle equipment creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that car or equipment. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.
-----------------

If there are enough number of complaints, I assume Honda will be pressured to issue a recall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2016 pilot ex brand new in 2015. Fell in love with it. It is now sep 2019 and i am at 78,000 mi. I first started seeing the emission systems issue at around 65k mi but it would come and go. I actually took my car to the dealership around 65k mi early 2019 to address a recall about ceiling clips, i also mentioned the emissions message but of course the error went away. I was then told it was most likely a sensor issue. I went on to drive for months without any noticeable performance issues with the error message coming and going still. Fast fwd to August 2019, emissions message now lights up constantly. I'm now told it's the fuel injectors by the dealership and they all need to be replaced= $1800. I didn't ok the service and drove off saddened that I'd have to spend so much on an expensive repair i didn't expect so soon. I am flying out for a week but when i get home im calling Honda to hopefully get some help with this issue. I only hope i can have a fraction of the luck that some of you have had that are outside warranty. Thx for sharing your experiences and advice guys.
Just heard back from my case manager from Honda NA, they decided to offer a one time 50% off the cost of repairs ~$1800 under their "good will program." The case manager had been going back and forth with the dealership that diagnosed my car to see if they were ok with the repair. Just in case anyone wanted to try it, i was using the $15 redline fuel injector cleaner from o'Reilly auto parts for like 4 full tank refills and it cleared my emission system error by the time i heard back from Honda. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I'm sure I don't even have to say why I'm writing this right now. Yes, the dreaded Emissions Indicator light on our 2017 Honda Pilot on Tuesday evening, 11/19/19. We had been noticing a hesitation when we stepped on gas when we first started the car for a few months and when we had it in for our last oil change to the dealer they couldn't find anything wrong. (I would think the service departments at Honda dealerships are well aware of this issue and that's the first place they should have looked even though there is no error warning.)
They said that it was the Fuel Injection system and will have to replace all 6 injections for a cost of $1,700. (Jaw dropping). We had already authorized the service before I found this site and called the Honda Corporate Office to open a complaint. Our vehicle is now sitting at the dealership with the work complete and we have been told that it will take about a week to make their decision.
The person I spoke to on the phone made it sound like it's my problem because I didn't buy the extended warranty when we purchased our vehicle used at a different dealership other than Honda. (Our vehicle has 48,000 miles on it.) The vehicle was purchased with low miles and still was under the 36,000 mile/3-year warranty in addition to the 5-year Power Train warranty at time of purchase. Who would think that a "quality" vehicle like the Honda Pilot would have a problem like this, right?
I'll keep you posted on what the outcome is but, since I'm not technically what they call "LOYALTY" customer, my expectations are low that they will even cover any of this. I'm not planning to become a "LOYALTY" customer after this all shakes out. Shame on you Honda for chastising the customer for a failed system. I will be reporting this up the channel complaint system so that maybe a recall will be issued to help others.
I appreciate all the work/complaints already filed as this may help our case. I don't know right now.
Thanks

101 - 120 of 130 Posts