Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha! FAR from it, but I do know how to use Google. :)
UPDATE: They made a mistake and put me down for 6 sets of fuel injectors --> the new repair total is consistent with others who are posting here. zroger73, I owe you a beer.

And American Honda is going to pick up a portion of the bill (I'm out of warranty). So if you have this problem, call them!! Worst they can say is 'no'...

·
Registered
93 Posts
UPDATE: They made a mistake and put me down for 6 sets of fuel injectors --> the new repair total is consistent with others who are posting here. zroger73, I owe you a beer.

And American Honda is going to pick up a portion of the bill (I'm out of warranty). So if you have this problem, call them!! Worst they can say is 'no'...
I just LOVE happy endings!

·
Registered
14 Posts
All of our stories sound so similar. 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L w/RES AWD purchased brand new in August 2015, currently has 66,000 miles. The Check Engine / Emission Systems Problem lights came on a couple of months ago when it was super cold in Ohio (like -10). I chalked it up to being the weather. The lights went off after a day or two and didn't reappear until a few weeks ago. I've been complaining about a "hesitation" issue with my Pilot for the past two years - I'm wondering if it's related. I purchased an extended warranty (not through Honda). Just got a call from the dealer that it is indeed the fuel injectors that need replaced. The warranty covers everything but a $307 pipe. I'm irritated to pay that amount, but doing it to be done with this. Question for those who've done this replacement - did you switch fuel grade after replacement? I'm considering switching to premium to keep this from happening again in 40-60k miles. Disclaimer: I did have to be a jerk with my dealership to get this handled.
Would like to know who your warranty is through? I’m in your same position.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At 24,000 miles, check engine light - emissions. Was the fuel injectors. Luckily under factory warranty then. Now 84,000 miles ..... light on again... fuel injectors. Service bulletin about this issue. They know this is a defect and want me to cover part of the repair!!!!!!!!! This is my second pilot (still own the 2003, 244,000 miles, no issues) Will file a complaint with Honda as well as the BBB, and our state. Never again will I buy another honda as the company has gone down the tubes and does not provide a good/safe product or honor any issues they are clearly aware of. BEWARE TO THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM ALREADY..... IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!!!! btw my service advisor said they changed the fuel injector for the 2018's on because they knew of this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just LOVE happy endings!
UPDATE: Got the service done yesterday. Honda said they were covering 40%. But somehow my bill was considerably less than I thought it would be. Not sure how that happened, since when Honda is involved the invoice becomes a lot more generic, but I'm not complaining. At least not about that part.

The kicker: As I'm standing there waiting to pay, they're on the phone with another guy whose Pilot with 63,000 miles on it has the same problem.... this isn't going away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2016 Pilot with 42,000 miles - Emissions system light went off last week. Brought it into the Honda dealership and they want to charge $1900+ to replace the fuel injectors.

Honda customer service says they won’t help because we “have no loyalty with Honda” because we don’t get it serviced through them. I’d love for them to logically explain to me how loyalty is a factor when it comes to a faulty part that they installed on the vehicle and is a known issue.

If they think I didn’t have loyalty before, I sure don’t have it now and refuse to purchase another Honda in the future.

I’d love to start calling Honda out on Twitter about this fuel injector issue if there were enough other people on board.
I've the same issue with 2016 Honda Pilot 52500 miles. Got the Emissions System Problem message on the dashboard. This morning, 08/15, went to Honda Dealer and was told that the Fuel Injector Set and Fuel Joint Pipe set are having problems and need to be replaced, the repair estimate is $1200. Accepted it and getting it done. But now I see a good number of 2016 Honda Pilot owners are facing this issue. I'm interested in pursuing this issue with Honda

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've the same issue with 2016 Honda Pilot 52500 miles. Got the Emissions System Problem message on the dashboard. This morning, 08/15, went to Honda Dealer and was told that the Fuel Injector Set and Fuel Joint Pipe set are having problems and need to be replaced, the repair estimate is $1200. Accepted it and getting it done. But now I see a good number of 2016 Honda Pilot owners are facing this issue. I'm interested in pursuing this issue with Honda
Definitely call them - they need to keep hearing about the problem, and you just might get a break on the bill: 800-999-1009 will get you to Honda corporate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the Emissions System Problem warning light come on my 2016 Pilot Touring at 49,500 miles. Car has also been in a few times cause of problem with idle stop start where car completely stalls after take foot off brake and put it on gas pedal. Have to put car in park, press brake, and restart the car. Dealer did a software update for that in October 2017, but started having the problem again recently so brought it in again. Dealer didn't find any new software updates so Honda told dealer to replace fuel injectors which they are doing tomorrow. Fuel injector replacement covered by warranty.
You are lucky to have you 2016 Pilot covered by warranty. Do you have an extended warranty? If not, how did you get the warranty applied at 49,500 miles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fuel Injector Replacement at 45,000 Miles

Purchased 2016 2WD Touring Pilot 2.5 years ago, brand new from a Honda dealership in Fort Worth, Texas. Two weeks ago we had to have it towed to the dealership. It wouldn't drive and the message board read "Transmission System Problem." Later that day we were informed it needed fuel injector replacement and the cost would be $1912.

We have Geico mechanical breakdown coverage and my deductible is $250. They sent out an inspector two days later to examine the car before they could authorize repair. The dealership service tech said this is a common problem and they were going to refer to Service Bulletin 18-025 for the repair. Apparently the first 33,297 2016 Honda Pilot 2WD's produced and the first 68,026 4WD 2016 Pilots are completely covered for free repair for 15 years or 150,000 miles. Our 2016 Honda Pilot was around the 50,000th off the production line, and it is not covered after 3yrs or 36,000 miles.

Our service advisor said this problem is so common that the parts are on national backorder and it would be 5 days before they would arrive.

I emailed Honda's national customer support center and complained. Their response was a 70 percent reduction in the bill. So essentially, they saved Geico $1000 on the cost of the repair. Thanks Honda! We were without our car for two weeks, paid the $250 deductible and $380 for a cheap rental car. Geico said they will reimburse us $80 towards cost of the rental car. Honda said they will give us $0 towards the rental car.

Honda's powertrain warranty is for 5 years or 60,000 miles. Fuel injectors are not covered. If you have to have your car towed because it will not move, shouldn't that issue be considered part of the powertrain? Nope!! When the message board says "Transmission System Problem," could you assume that's a powertrain issue? Nope!!

Fuel injectors….Big problem with the 2016 Pilot….Honda knows about it and is not taking care of the customer. This will be our family's last Honda.
Where did you get the information about -- " Apparently the first 33,297 2016 Honda Pilot 2WD's produced and the first 68,026 4WD 2016 Pilots are completely covered for free repair for 15 years or 150,000 miles "? Did Honda tell you in an email or do they have any information online somewhere?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You are lucky to have you 2016 Pilot covered by warranty. Do you have an extended warranty? If not, how did you get the warranty applied at 49,500 miles?
No, I don't have an extended warranty. If I recall correctly (this happened about 1 year ago), I think they covered it under warranty because I had brought the car in several times for the auto idle-stop stalling problem. Not sure. I obviously wasn't going to question them why if they said it was covered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Honda Pilot 2WK Touring; 54,000 miles; 'Emissions System Failure' light comes on, then Transmission System Failure', and car goes limp! Barely made it off the side of the road going 3mph in a 2-year old, bought brand new vehicle. Same issues as everyone else. Guess what dealership says, no recalls, out of 36,000 mile factory warranty and $1060 to repair. We have also been loyal Honda customers as well as my in-laws..In all, we have owned 6 Hondas over the years. Take to only Honda dealership for regular maintenance. What will happen in two more years. Will I need fuel injectors again? another $1060 dollars? This is unacceptable! All other Honda's we've owned we have had no problems. Have the injectors been updated since the originals were installed in 2016 or will I get a new set of faulty products put in my car? They need to do a RECALL!!!! and repair for FREE! Fuel injectors should last the life of the car, especially when the maintenance scheduled is followed.

What do we do to get a RECALL started? How many complaints do there need to be? Where do we file or complain?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello gang,
Looks like I too now have the dreaded "Emissions System Problem" error light coming on in the center view screen of my cockpit dash. I took the 2016 Pilot down to my HONDA Dealership and they were able to pull the following error code - P219A/B for fuel injectors. They then informed me that this would require the replacement of all 6 fuel injectors as they were sold as a set and not as individual parts. A quick look on a HONDA website shows that Honda Part No: 16010-RLV-315 is indeed a set of 6 injectors. They price my dealership was quoting was 3 hours of labor at $120 per hour and parts of about $1100. The website I obtained my part number from is a certified HONDA dealership with an online store and they list the set of 6 injectors with a price of $377.35. This is a huge discrepancy. The old HONDA Part Number was (16010-RLV-305) and it states the following exactly "Not avail. Individually". Not sure if I can post the HONDA website that I got the price from but if you Google the web you can find several HONDA dealerships that have online storefronts and they don't charge the extorsion prices my dealer wants to charge.
  • 2016 Honda Pilot - 5Dr AWD EX-L
  • Last 6 digits of my VIN: xxxx007180
I quickly have done a little research and found this website and this post (a few other post on the PILOTEER website also cover this same issue.) I too have owned several other Honda's and all of them have never required fuel injector replacement even after they surpassed 200,000 miles. I believe that the number of complaints in this one forum post warrant that each of us pursue the matter in the following manner in order to document the issue in manner that can allow the proper oversight body to investigate and document the problem.
  1. File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to document that there is an issue.
  2. File a complaint with your respective State Attorney General's office so that they may document that an issue is present and if sufficient cases are documented, may warrant some action on their part.
  3. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. They have some ability to protect consumers but must be able to show a pattern... Documenting your experience with detail, error codes, and mileage is the first step we need to take. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/GettingStarted?NextQID=234&Url=#&panel1-9&SubCategoryID=0#crnt
  4. File a complain with The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). I firmly believe that a fuel system problem caused by faulty injectors could have a potential to cause the car to not operate normally and if this happens at highway speeds in busy traffic what are the potential outcomes? https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
I did find one complaint filed with the NHTSA concerning the exact issue we are having. It is located at the following URL. There are two documents if you visit the site, the original owners letter to American HONDA and the reply from the NHTSA indicating that they have entered the information and are reviewing the complaint. This was dated February 12, 2018. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/HONDA/PILOT/SUV/AWD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello gang,
Looks like I too now have the dreaded "Emissions System Problem" error light coming on in the center view screen of my cockpit dash. I took the 2016 Pilot down to my HONDA Dealership and they were able to pull the following error code - P219A/B for fuel injectors. They then informed me that this would require the replacement of all 6 fuel injectors as they were sold as a set and not as individual parts. A quick look on a HONDA website shows that Honda Part No: 16010-RLV-315 is indeed a set of 6 injectors. They price my dealership was quoting was 3 hours of labor at $120 per hour and parts of about $1100. The website I obtained my part number from is a certified HONDA dealership with an online store and they list the set of 6 injectors with a price of $377.35. This is a huge discrepancy. The old HONDA Part Number was (16010-RLV-305) and it states the following exactly "Not avail. Individually". Not sure if I can post the HONDA website that I got the price from but if you Google the web you can find several HONDA dealerships that have online storefronts and they don't charge the extorsion prices my dealer wants to charge.
  • 2016 Honda Pilot - 5Dr AWD EX-L
  • Last 6 digits of my VIN: xxxx007180
I quickly have done a little research and found this website and this post (a few other post on the PILOTEER website also cover this same issue.) I too have owned several other Honda's and all of them have never required fuel injector replacement even after they surpassed 200,000 miles. I believe that the number of complaints in this one forum post warrant that each of us pursue the matter in the following manner in order to document the issue in manner that can allow the proper oversight body to investigate and document the problem.
  1. File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to document that there is an issue.
  2. File a complaint with your respective State Attorney General's office so that they may document that an issue is present and if sufficient cases are documented, may warrant some action on their part.
  3. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. They have some ability to protect consumers but must be able to show a pattern... Documenting your experience with detail, error codes, and mileage is the first step we need to take. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/GettingStarted?NextQID=234&Url=#&panel1-9&SubCategoryID=0#crnt
  4. File a complain with The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). I firmly believe that a fuel system problem caused by faulty injectors could have a potential to cause the car to not operate normally and if this happens at highway speeds in busy traffic what are the potential outcomes? https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
I did find one complaint filed with the NHTSA concerning the exact issue we are having. It is located at the following URL. There are two documents if you visit the site, the original owners letter to American HONDA and the reply from the NHTSA indicating that they have entered the information and are reviewing the complaint. This was dated February 12, 2018. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/HONDA/PILOT/SUV/AWD

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have filed my NHTSA consumer complaint as of today. The process was easy and the website takes you through each stage including the ability to upload documents and images. Remember, the NHTSA is about collecting data to ascertain if there is a widespread problem with a car component. Have your VIN, date, and mileage available to enter. If you have a HONDA service ticket with the error code that the car captured then this is great also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Honda revised TSB 18-025 on May 29, 2019 and now says that the probable cause is "debris from the high pressure pump or the fuel injector machining process can cause internal wear or clogging inside the injector."

If that's accurate, if it's going to happen it's going to happen no matter what type of fuel or additive you use.
Thank you for this.. I had this problem just yesterday. I specifically asked if their was a TSB and they said NO!!! I will be discussing this with HONDA DEALER on Monday to go over my concerns and why they, as a certified HONDA DEALER, did not pull up the TSB even after I made the direct inquiry. This could have ended up costing me over $1000+... THANK YOU !!!!!!:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also had this same issue - it started at 33K miles but with this being my 4th Honda in 19 years, I never imagined it would end up being such a big issue or I would have had it looked at immediately under warranty. The light would usually go off after a day or so. I had an appointment at 41K miles that I made on a Thursday but they couldn’t get me in until Monday. By then the light was off so there was nothing they could diagnose. It came off and on again and I was finally able to get it in at 44k miles - fuel injectors for $1575.
IF THIS HAPPENS, DON’T AUTHORIZE THE WORK UNTIL YOU CALL HONDA AND OPEN A CASE.
Without this forum, I would have just paid it and been very upset. I saw how someone had the work done and only got a future service voucher so I did not authorize any work. One of the first things Honda asked was if I had - when I told her no, she said “good, that makes it much easier for us to work with you”. It took about 5 days for the case to be finalized but in the end they knocked the bill down to $511. I’m still not happy that a car with low miles had a major repair already but i’m thankful to have gotten the bill reduced by 2\3!
Now I have to deal with the other issue that was happening for about the last 7k miles
but the light it wasn’t on while it was in for repair - the keyless start system problem. It also goes on and off after a day or so. I mentioned it to the advisor when she said to let them know if I had any other problems and she acted like it was a known issue - nodded her head and said “yep, we have usually just had to replace the start button on those”. Very frustrating that it is yet another issue with this vehicle. I drove my last Pilot for 100k miles and had 0 issues!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, wanted to add that they gave me the same spiel about only usuing top tier gas and not gas from Costco or Kroger. I’m a little nervous about getting gas there now but also feel like it isn’t really the issue. I noticed a sticker on the Costco gas pump the other day that said it was top tier gasoline so it makes me wonder if they are using it as an excuse to cover their subpar parts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also, wanted to add that they gave me the same spiel about only usuing top tier gas and not gas from Costco or Kroger. I’m a little nervous about getting gas there now but also feel like it isn’t really the issue. I noticed a sticker on the Costco gas pump the other day that said it was top tier gasoline so it makes me wonder if they are using it as an excuse to cover their subpar parts
In this particular instance, the HONDA Dealership is completely and utterly wrong. The clogging of the fuel injectors is singularly caused by a manufacturing defect where metal shaving are being washed down the fuel line and clogging the injectors.. The default fallback for any dealer is to blame fuel as the main culprit.. This FORUM is invaluable in pointing owners to verified problems and solutions. I have already had 4 items on my car fixed due to TSB's... All of which the dealership DID NOT NOTIFY me about. DO NOT EVER RELY ON THE DEALERSHIP TO SEARCH OUT A TSB ON YOUR BEHALF... Although I am not outright condemning then, they DO have a financial interest in diagnosing and repairing your car without ever looking up a TSB.. I see this as a big conflict of interest... IMO....

81 - 100 of 130 Posts