Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a new set of tires put on my wife’s 2016 Pilot and they told me the right front strut is going out. Their supplier didn’t have one and I can’t find any except at the dealership, and we know how expensive they are. Anyone know what’s so special about these that I can’t get a strut for this now 3 year old vehicle? Will the strut from a 2015 work?

·
Registered
332 Posts
So I got a new set of tires put on my wife’s 2016 Pilot and they told me the right front strut is going out. Their supplier didn’t have one and I can’t find any except at the dealership, and we know how expensive they are. Anyone know what’s so special about these that I can’t get a strut for this now 3 year old vehicle? Will the strut from a 2015 work?
If your shop concluded its failing because its leaking, you might look into getting Honda to cover at least part of the cost. Unless the vehicle is routinely driven fast on rough roads with a heavy load, it would be unusual for a strut to fail that quickly unless it was defective in the first place.

I suspect that the lack of an aftermarket part suggests none of the usual vendors have tooled up to build them because nobody needs them yet.

If its not leaking, I would let it ride for a while unless you can feel the car sagging on that corner during heavy braking. I was on 15-year old struts for a while when I got my Pilot. I hated the ride, but it never felt unsafe or wobbly.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Always get second opinion. Applies to most thing in life but def here. Not sure where you are but stay away from Mavis Discount tire or anything connected with them for sure. A lot of shops have bad apples sometimes takes time to find a good one.

I went there just for Inspection on my 2012 right before selling it and they tried to say my rear shocks were completely rusted out when I just replaced them 2 months ago with Honda OEM smh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update...got a second opinion and yes the right front strut is going out. They told me it's leaking. Is it even worth going to the dealership to try and get it replaced under warranty? Is there a TSB out that would cover this because a strut on a 3 year old car should not be leaking.

·
Registered
332 Posts
They told me it's leaking. Is it even worth going to the dealership to try and get it replaced under warranty?
If it was me, I would talk to the service manager at the dealer. You can state with high confidence that struts (especially Honda OEM struts that are unusually expensive) are expected to last longer. If its the case, also state that the car has never been off-pavement, excessively loaded, etc. If he won't help, talk to the general manager.

You need a new strut installed, and you need an alignment done after its in. You should get it all for free, but if they will pay for the strut and the alignment and you pay for the installation labor, that's not an awful deal considering you got 3 years from the original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts