Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Wanted to get some feedback in regards to what prices I should expect to pay to have this done at the dealership. My car is at 43K miles and I received maintenance code A36.

The service advisor said I do not need to change my transmission fluid since I did that at 34K miles at their recommendation. He said he does not know why the '3' code flashed. He said it is an error.

On a side note - they are swapping out my fuel injectors at no cost due to code P0430 and the software update not causing the emissions system check light to go away.

It is approx $200 for the transfer fluid change and $200 for the rear diff fluid change. Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Maybe for the rear diff if they need to drop the spare like previous generations and the fluid is more expensive. The Transfer case takes 10 mins to do and uses gear oil, nothing special. You could do this yourself for well under $100 including the little hand pumps.

I believe most on the forum would recommend a transmission drain and fill at this time, I'm not sure why the dealer would say no to that service. @Nail Grease has some pictures of ~20k mile 6 speed fluid that will help you understand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not good with cars at all and I would not know where to start.

In regards to the transmission fluid, it is probably because I changed my transmission fluid 9K miles ago at the recommendation of the service advisor. I guess they would look like absolute crooks if they recommended I change it again? That was my guess...

They dont call them the stealership for nothing!

·
Registered
4,285 Posts

In regards to the transmission fluid, it is probably because I changed my transmission fluid 9K miles ago at the recommendation of the service advisor. I guess they would look like absolute crooks if they recommended I change it again? That was my guess...

Well you didn't say that! I don't think you need to do a transmission fluid change at this point.

If you don't have the expertise, tools, space to do the work you are kind of stuck. You can shop around but the rear diff needs a special fluid for the torque vectoring hardware and I don't trust most independent shops to use the appropriate fluid.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Tranny Fluid should be changed at 30K.......Unless your doing a lot of towing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts