Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an Emissions System Error on my pilot 2016 EX L AWD with 40k miles. Looks like this is common on the pilots. Is this covered under the warranty? Some people say it is but some people are saying that they have paid $1500+. I find it silly that i’m having this issue at only 40k miles...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got an Emissions System Error on my pilot 2016 EX L AWD with 40k miles. Looks like this is common on the pilots. Is this covered under the warranty? Some people say it is but some people are saying that they have paid $1500+. I find it silly that i’m having this issue at only 40k miles...
UsmanA...when you go to the Honda dealer, there is a bulletin at all dealerships regarding this specific issue. You can purchase the OBD code reader yourself, or any Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts (I forget which one) does free error code readings for you. Tell them to print out the receipt with the error code and you can take it to the dealer. A well informed customer is their worst enemy. But in the end, I would not pay for it as long as the P0430 code comes up. I hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
As long as the dealer can pull a P0430 code, it will be covered under an extended warranty from American Honda 7 years/70,000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick update on this, I took mine to the dealership this morning. They looked at it and it indeed was the same issue. They found the code and they said it’s under warranty and they are fixing it now. Replacing all the fuel injectors

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
As long as the dealer can pull a P0430 code, it will be covered under an extended warranty from American Honda 7 years/70,000 miles.
Do you have a copy of the extended warranty or a warranty number? No issues here but I want to stay informed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a copy of the extended warranty or a warranty number? No issues here but I want to stay informed.
i don't at the moment, but i can post it when i get my copy of the receipt. I'll ask my service advisor for a warranty number as well. stay tuned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the emission warning light come on on xmas day...I will take my 2016 pilot to a car shop first for OBD code reader. Will use this post as helpful tips.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Can you find a document (TSB) showing that from Honda? Everyone so far are going by warranty allowed per state as below:

Injector coverage:
  • 3/36 new vehicle limited warrant in all states
  • 7/70 California emissions warranty in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington
  • Up to 8/120 if you have a Honda Care vehicle service contract
They are not covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a quick update on this, I took mine to the dealership this morning. They looked at it and it indeed was the same issue. They found the code and they said it’s under warranty and they are fixing it now. Replacing all the fuel injectors
That's great news. I hope they also replaced your fuel rails and gaskets as well. Glad you got it fixed!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you find a document (TSB) showing that from Honda? Everyone so far are going by warranty allowed per state as below:

Injector coverage:
  • 3/36 new vehicle limited warrant in all states
  • 7/70 California emissions warranty in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington
  • Up to 8/120 if you have a Honda Care vehicle service contract
They are not covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty.
The catch to this is that the P0430 code has to be pulled and that code can't be for like an O2 sensor...it's not covered. The P0430 code has to be pulled for the emission problem, and it has to come up as a cylinder misfiring, and it tells you which cylinders are going bad. My dealer did not have the "memo", and I really doubt that you will get it since it is proprietary and it is an in-house communication. Just curious...are you NOT in one of the states you listed above? That makes more sense to me...

·
Registered
221 Posts
@Hache - you said the repair is covered under an extended warranty from American Honda 7 years/70,000 miles.

After doing some research, you are correct for the 2017 Pilot - injectors and fuel rails are covered for 7/70k but ONLY in certain states. Here is the document for 2017 Pilot - https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL04915.pdf

The 2016 however, is 7/70k ONLY for the fuel rails (in certain states). The injectors are 3/36k. Here is the document for 2016 Pilot - https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL04460.pdf

Not sure why this is or if Honda would apply the 2017 warranty to a 2016.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't speak to a 2017 Pilot...only the 2016 since this is what I own and this is what I had a problem with. And you are probably 100% right in that this issue is only covered in certain states. My experiences are for New York...and unfortunately I don't know about other states and how this matter will play out in other states. My injectors AND rails (and gaskets) were fully covered in New York and I was told by the dealer that American Honda is aware of this problem and thus extended their coverage for this issue ONLY - I might have been somewhat premature in making my statements into a blanket statement as I am now learning that this issue can be handled differently in other states. I was also told that this issue only affects a limited number of their 2016 Honda Pilots (and they couldn't tell me why) - some may experience it while others will not. Seems to me like Honda fully knows what is going on with this issue and even though they haven't issued a recall, my dealer told me that they are honoring the repairs associated with the P0430 code and the misfiring pistons free of charge for 7 years/70,000 miles and is extending warranties - in my guess New York, for this issue. Me and my father have the same exact Pilot (purchased 2 weeks apart from the SAME dealer and manufactured in the same state) and we have the same mileage and he has yet to experience it. I am only going off what the dealer told me and he did not mention anything regarding 2017 Pilots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Hache - you said the repair is covered under an extended warranty from American Honda 7 years/70,000 miles.

After doing some research, you are correct for the 2017 Pilot - injectors and fuel rails are covered for 7/70k but ONLY in certain states. Here is the document for 2017 Pilot - https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL04915.pdf

The 2016 however, is 7/70k ONLY for the fuel rails (in certain states). The injectors are 3/36k. Here is the document for 2016 Pilot - https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL04460.pdf

Not sure why this is or if Honda would apply the 2017 warranty to a 2016.
I can't speak to a 2017 Pilot...only the 2016 since this is what I own and this is what I had a problem with. And you are probably 100% right in that this issue is only covered in certain states. My experiences are for New York...and unfortunately I don't know about other states and how this matter will play out in other states. My injectors AND rails (and gaskets) were fully covered in New York and I was told by the dealer that American Honda is aware of this problem and thus extended their coverage for this issue ONLY - I might have been somewhat premature in making my statements into a blanket statement as I am now learning that this issue can be handled differently in other states. I was also told that this issue only affects a limited number of their 2016 Honda Pilots (and they couldn't tell me why) - some may experience it while others will not. Seems to me like Honda fully knows what is going on with this issue and even though they haven't issued a recall, my dealer told me that they are honoring the repairs associated with the P0430 code and the misfiring pistons free of charge for 7 years/70,000 miles and is extending warranties - in my guess New York, for this issue. Me and my father have the same exact Pilot (purchased 2 weeks apart from the SAME dealer and manufactured in the same state) and we have the same mileage and he has yet to experience it. I am only going off what the dealer told me and he did not mention anything regarding 2017 Pilots.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had this issue too, on my 2016 Honda Pilot EX. Fortunately, I have the extended warranty of 100k or 7 years, when i was at 72k miles. It was weird the Honda tech said that its fortunately covered in the 7 years but only up to 80k miles... where I have no proof where he got that. Frankly i didnt care as long as it was covered.

They changed my injectors and recommended I use premium fuel now. Which i will not because its my fault because I used to use fuel system cleaner after oil changes, and just got lazy. I will be doing this from now on to prevent this from happening. I suspect this happens a lot due to the econ mode on the car, due to the restriction on the car the build up is more prevalent because you dont burn out or spit out as much of the carbon build up when you dont open up the throttle once in a while.

BTW on Youtube ProjectFarm recommends you use Chevron with techron or Seafoam. I love that channel on YT.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had this issue too, on my 2016 Honda Pilot EX. Fortunately, I have the extended warranty of 100k or 7 years, when i was at 72k miles. It was weird the Honda tech said that its fortunately covered in the 7 years but only up to 80k miles... where I have no proof where he got that. Frankly i didnt care as long as it was covered.

They changed my injectors and recommended I use premium fuel now. Which i will not because its my fault because I used to use fuel system cleaner after oil changes, and just got lazy. I will be doing this from now on to prevent this from happening. I suspect this happens a lot due to the econ mode on the car, due to the restriction on the car the build up is more prevalent because you dont burn out or spit out as much of the carbon build up when you dont open up the throttle once in a while.

BTW on Youtube ProjectFarm recommends you use Chevron with techron or Seafoam. I love that channel on YT.
The type of fuel that you use has NOTHING to do with this issue.
Fuel system cleaner has NOTHING to do with this issue.
eCON mode has NOTHING to do with this issue.
Carbon build up has NOTHING to do with this issue.

As you will read in the attached TSB, "debris from the fuel injector machining process or high pressure fuel pump can cause internal wear or clogging in the injector." This is why this issue occurs and why the injectors and fuel rails need to be replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts

As you will read in the attached TSB, "debris from the fuel injector machining process or high pressure fuel pump can cause internal wear or clogging in the injector." This is why this issue occurs and why the injectors and fuel rails need to be replaced.
True to some extent. but if you read the tsb it specifically states debris can cause internal wear or clogging in the injector.. Doesn't mean its the only reason. Besides I never got this until reaching 72k miles on my car. That being said you are right to some extent but you are leaving out the key detail it can cause it.. I specifically asked my Honda Tech guy about it and said my injectors had a lot of carbon buildup and along with this TSB. Im well aware of it.

The debris thing would make perfect sense if like some of the others in the forum had this issue early in the 30k miles range. My case makes sense that it could be a combination of this and carbon build up based on the years, load and mileage. So to say it has NOTHING to do with the carbon build or any of the others is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts

I wonder why this TSB is not listed for 2016 models. My 2016 has the dreaded P0430 code and my injectors/rails were replaced.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Read here / 2016 EX-L AWD. Post #99

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wonder why this TSB is not listed for 2016 models. My 2016 has the dreaded P0430 code and my injectors/rails were replaced.
2016 Pilot is in TSB 19-072. They pulled it a while back when they had the parts shortage, and just recently updated and released it again.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts