Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

New member here... I have been watching discussions on how to get CarPlay working on a 2016 Pilot EX-L.... decided to finally pull the trigger and try a little DIY. Here is what I purchased:

39542-TG7-A14​
Black-Box Assembly (Clarion)​

Was a bit more involved than I expected... had to use my original screen. But I got it all back together... and now I’m stuck after entering the PIN:

I can’t figure out how to get past entering the PIN. If I turn off the ignition, I’m prompted for the radio PIN again. Cannot access any other screens or turn on the radio.

What am I missing? I’ve checked and rechecked all of the connections on the back of the HU.

I’m kind of stuck... any advice? Thanks in advance for your wisdom and expertise.

- John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have continued to tinker for the last 1+ hour, and I think my situation isn't quite as dire as I had feared. Turns out, everything works once the code is entered -- but the volume was really low and I didn't hear the audio playing. So after a bunch of searching, I found a Youtube video that explained how to go to the diagnostics and developer menus:

To enter the diagnostic menu press the green power button, menu button, and brightness setting button at the same time. Diagnostic menu will pop up in about 2 seconds
To my surprise, this worked -- and when I exited it, I was able to access the normal radio interface. I was even able to get CarPlay working on my phone.

But it seems there is still a problem, because when I turn off the ignition -- the whole cycle starts again. Meaning I have to reenter the anti-theft code, go into the diagnostics menu, and exit again. Annoying hoops to jump through, of course.

I feel like I'm SOOO close -- in fact I may just go ahead and button everything back up before I lose the light entirely -- I feel like this is successful enough that I'm not going to have to reverse the install.

Any tips on fixing this? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Digging through the 400+ posts on the big thread on this topic... finally found the answer to this behavior. It was a link to this YouTube video:

In a nutshell, there is a second Developer menu to set “In-line Diag Setting” to Completed.

Awesome forum... only thing that is missing is a consolidated sticky how-to with relevant pics and YouTube videos. Thanks for the great resource!

- John

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi blackbird714, glad to read you were able to solve your conundrum. I just installed a 2017 head-unit (A12) in my 2016 EX-L and know how challenging such a situation can be when you have your whole dashboard pulled apart.

So I noticed a few software changes going from A11 to A12 but nothing too significant other than of course CarPlay.

Can you tell me what different features you have found in A14 compared to your original A11?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts