Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having this issue where the driver side reverse light lens is loosely attached to the bumper? When I push it with my fingers, one side of the lens moving inside and when I release it, it gets back to the position but not snug enough. And I see a cardboard thin gap between the lens and the bumper.

I will post some pictures when I get down to the issue this afternoon.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I backed into something a while back and the pssanger side light is now loose. It is attached to the molding by 3 screws. Two are decently secured, but one is a flimsy loop or plasti molded to the bumper skirt. That broke off. The lamp is now secured at that end by duct tape. I refuse to by a new molding to fix this, and I just haven't gotten around to getting some adhesive or putty to repair it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't remember backing into anything unless someone back into me in the parking lot etc. Anyhow you are absolutely right the three screws that hold the fixture to the bumper two of them are broken in my case a good one and a skimpy one. And now its held by one single screw. I got a quote from the dealer for $200 including labor and they don't have the parts at hand and need to be ordered. I am thinking of removing the lamp and then putting some adhesives to hold it in place and mount the lamp once found its good.

Not sure how to remove the wiring to the lamp. Any idea, I don't want to break the lamp or anymore plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't remember backing into anything unless someone back into me in the parking lot etc. Anyhow you are absolutely right the three screws that hold the fixture to the bumper two of them are broken in my case a good one and a skimpy one. And now its held by one single screw. I got a quote from the dealer for $200 including labor and they don't have the parts at hand and need to be ordered. I am thinking of removing the lamp and then putting some adhesives to hold it in place and mount the lamp once found its good.

Not sure how to remove the wiring to the lamp. Any idea, I don't want to break the lamp or anymore plastic.
Ouch! Someone either hit you or maybe damaged in transit prior to your purchase. (not one of the things I would be looking for during a walk around). $200 sounds a bit steep. But, it depends on your DIY skills and comfort level. I imagine the part itself is ~$75?

If you are pretty crafty and want to attempt to save some money, you could remove the unit from your Pilot (I haven't looked but the lights are typically a "push tab and pull type" of socket), unscrew the cracked piece, and epoxy the parts back together (maybe epoxy a "backing" piece to add a little strength). You might want to remove both sides so you can make sure the angles of the pieces match the good one.

Or, you could buy the part and have the dealer install.

·
Registered
187 Posts

I replaced my backup lights with LEDs, super bright now, and the wiring just unplugs from the housing. Slide under your rear bumper and you can see both light assemblies, just unplug the wires and go for it.:smile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
This exactly happened to mine but I have a 2107 Pilot. 1 of the screw tab broke and the piece that belongs to the bumper broke also. How would I go about fixing this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone having this issue where the driver side reverse light lens is loosely attached to the bumper? When I push it with my fingers, one side of the lens moving inside and when I release it, it gets back to the position but not snug enough. And I see a cardboard thin gap between the lens and the bumper.

I will post some pictures when I get down to the issue this afternoon.
I have this issue with my 2018 Pilot. There was a gap, like a hole where reverse light should have been fitted properly. The reverse light was hanging loose. I took it to the dealer. They wanted $815 to repair this. They are trying to blame me saying it must have been damaged by me. I didn’t damage it. No one bumped into me. There are no scratches, dents on bumper. Is this a defect by Honda? We’re you able to resolve this with Honda?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same issue with my 2016 EX-L. It was basically hanging by one screw just barely. I bought gorilla tape and gorilla glue and made a patchjob repair on it. It's hanging tight now - for how long.... well, that's another issue altogether. The attachment bracket to the bumper is made from just about the thinnest piece of plastic that I think could be manufactured - really shoddy there. vibration, bumps, cold weather, etc and that 3rd attachment point is going to break putting stress on the other 2 until they fail. Very poor design there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue with my 2016 EX-L. It was basically hanging by one screw just barely. I bought gorilla tape and gorilla glue and made a patchjob repair on it. It's hanging tight now - for how long.... well, that's another issue altogether. The attachment bracket to the bumper is made from just about the thinnest piece of plastic that I think could be manufactured - really shoddy there. vibration, bumps, cold weather, etc and that 3rd attachment point is going to break putting stress on the other 2 until they fail. Very poor design there.
Fully agree. The bracket is made cheaply, and is thin. Bad design lends itself to this problem also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fully agree. The bracket is made cheaply, and is thin. Bad design lends itself to this problem also.
Yeah... I'm actually thinking that since I have a bunch of tape left over, maybe I should just go ahead and tape the crap out of it to attach it to the bumper instead of trying to make the repair look nicer... I'd rather just have it last. I also upgraded to the LED backup lights since it's so hard to see behind this beastie... they are about $25 at the local auto parts store... they do work nice but not sure I'd spend that much again for the slight improvement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah... I'm actually thinking that since I have a bunch of tape left over, maybe I should just go ahead and tape the crap out of it to attach it to the bumper instead of trying to make the repair look nicer... I'd rather just have it last. I also upgraded to the LED backup lights since it's so hard to see behind this beastie... they are about $25 at the local auto parts store... they do work nice but not sure I'd spend that much again for the slight improvement.
UPdate--I was able to get this reparied at a local mechanic for around $150. He just put extra brackets and screws to the black bumper frame to hold light in place. Hopefully this will do the trrick, he says it has few screws to hold tight. He also said the exhaust is right next to this bracket, so that heat also lends itself to this broken issue. So bad design, bad quality bracket (very thin plastic) all contribute to the problem! I sent an email complaining about the design issue to the Honda North America President.

·
Registered
19 Posts
UPdate--I was able to get this reparied at a local mechanic for around $150. He just put extra brackets and screws to the black bumper frame to hold light in place. Hopefully this will do the trrick, he says it has few screws to hold tight. He also said the exhaust is right next to this bracket, so that heat also lends itself to this broken issue. So bad design, bad quality bracket (very thin plastic) all contribute to the problem! I sent an email complaining about the design issue to the Honda North America President.
$150 is a lot... I spent about $15 on the glue and tape and about 30 minutes fiddling with it - let it dry overnight and then mounted it back up. Did the LEDs at the same time... but... if for $150 it lasts for a while, that's still money well spent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts