Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So had the family in the vehicle on the way to Miami. Pilot has 62k miles on it. All of a sudden the pilot just stalls all kinds of warning lights come on, car will not go past 2000rpms. Almost caused me to get rear ended on the freeway. We could have died!! Got it into a service center and they are saying it's the camshaft (broke somehow)and sensor. I purchased this pilot 2 years ago as a CPO. How crazy is honda for covering the camshaft but not the pulley or sensor that broke from the result of the cam breaking?!? They literally said its collateral damage and won't be covered!! I've never owned a Honda before and will absolutely be the last time. As soon as I get it back from the service center I'm buying a Telluride or Pallisade unless someone here has a better idea?!? Sorry for the rant just so appalled with the service I received from what I thought was a respectable brand. Why buy CPO?!? Please tell me someone has had a better experience!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sorry, but what makes you think that another manufacturer is going to be any better? They all suck these days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because this isn't my first service issue with vehicles. I've owned many Chevys and have had nothing but positive experiences. Hell even my new Ram truck has had great service. I've even had stuff that was out of warranty get taken care of by other manufacturers. This vehicle was purchased under the understanding it had a great warranty and reputation. I've seen a ton of posts on similar issues on these pilots.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At this point there no hurting trading it in. Maybe consider looking at a Highlander? Korean cars look good, but I don't think the fit and finish compares to their Japanese counterparts. I've been in a Palisade where it sounded like there was air getting into the cabin from some cracks.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
You have a CPO contract. If you think the interpretation of the contract is incorrect, talk to Honda. We can't help you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd be frustrated as well. It sounds to me like the camshaft sensor and pulley aren't covered but probably would be if the dealer would contact Honda. Are you at an out of town dealer, or a dealer you don't do regular service with? They aren't going to go out of their way to help, you will need to call Honda yourself. That would be the reality at basically every dealer, they are only going to do the covered warranty work unless it's worth their while.

Also worth noting, if you mention to them you plan on never going back to the dealer, or trading it in for a different make, what reason do they then have to help you?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I might try another dealership. Some seem to help more than others. One things for sure, I wouldn't let them fix it at this point. I'd give the job to an independent mechanic if Honda wouldn't help me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be frustrated as well. It sounds to me like the camshaft sensor and pulley aren't covered but probably would be if the dealer would contact Honda. Are you at an out of town dealer, or a dealer you don't do regular service with? They aren't going to go out of their way to help, you will need to call Honda yourself. That would be the reality at basically every dealer, they are only going to do the covered warranty work unless it's worth their while.

Also worth noting, if you mention to them you plan on never going back to the dealer, or trading it in for a different make, what reason do they then have to help you?
I haven't told them that.... I did call Honda Care and they were no help. They don't care that the covered part is what caused all the extra damage. They kept saying its written in the CPO warranty that incidental damage isn't covered. So basically it's like an engine rod goes through your hood, they fix that, but let you pay the body shop?!? That sounds insane! I would have no paid the extra to have a CPO if I would have know it to be the case. The description in the warranty booklet is so vague it basically let's them out of all liability

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
HTH does a camshaft break? What? Somethings a miss here.
You did say they said a broken camshaft?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Family member had a drive belt break. It lodge and twisted under the crankshaft pulley, breaking into the timing cover, which caused the timing belt to break which caused bent valves. A real mess. Crazy stuff can happen but its extremely rare.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would consider the pulley and sensor powertrain items that should be covered. I believe incidental damage is acts of God or nature type issues. That being said, a 2016 is a first model year so you know what they say about buying that.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,404 Posts
Don't go on a rant at the dealer about how you have had better experience with other brands, etc. That does nothing constructive and will only make the dealer hate you. Also a warranty is essentially a contract, so the fact that other manufacturers have fixed out of warranty stuff for free makes no difference. It's not expected and therefore you can't use that experience to somehow get the Honda dealer to help you out. They will fight you at every turn. My suggestion is to go back to that dealer and ask as many questions as you can. If you need to call Honda to have them fight on behalf of you that is fine. At least they are covering something. If you lower your expectations you might be pleasantly surprised.

Unfortunately stuff does happen even with reliable brands.

I also find it slightly amusing that Ram and Chevrolet have been more reliable than this Honda. It just goes to show you the experiences people have with different car brands are so different you can't really trust word of mouth.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry for your experience. One could make the argument for the sensor being part of the powertrain, so not sure why they aren't covering it. J35 engines are usually very reliable, and a broken camshaft ranks up there with winning the lottery as far as the odds. Might have still bent some valves though if the camshaft sheared and you lost a couple cylinders; if it was still running then evidently some of the cams were still working.

Funny that you say you've had positive experiences with Chevys, and one astronomically unlikely event happens with a Honda, and they are to be shunned. My Traverse was always having things break on it despite my meticulous maintenance, and the timing chains finally wore out (common problem) so I traded it in for the Pilot. My wife's Equinox has been plagued with the (well-known) oil burning, the (well-known) rusting doors, the (well-known) issues with the cam phaser solenoids, and the check engine light is on right now because the air injection system is having problems. Surprise, surprise, Equinox and P0411 code comes back with LOTS of Google results from other Equinox owners having problems. Got the letter from GM about the oil burning issues, and when I went to the Chevy dealer, they mis-diagnosed it as a different (but also well-known) cause than the problematic piston rings. They danced their way out of doing anything about it though, saying we weren't covered, and the letter about the piston ring special service, despite having our VIN on it, doesn't apply somehow, even though the redesigned piston rings came after our build date.

So you see? Everyone's experiences are different. My 2004 CR-V, 2008 CR-V, and 2015 Pilot have all been extremely reliable.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
"I also find it slightly amusing that Ram and Chevrolet have been more reliable than this Honda. It just goes to show you the experiences people have with different car brands are so different you can't really trust word of mouth."

I find that difficult to believe actually.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I find that Copart is a great place to see the life of vehicles.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I just looked at the 2019 CPO Warranty (you said you purchased 2 years ago) so I believe this may be correct. The only thing I found in writing for What is Not Covered regarding other damages is copied below. There are plenty of Not Covered clauses in the warranty but NONE that say what Honda has told you.

Covered parts damaged as the result of the failure of a non-covered part.

That is the opposite of what they are saying that those items damaged BY a covered part are not under the warranty.

I honestly believe you need to escalate your concern with Honda of America and have them show you in writing where they can refuse to repair those items damaged by a covered part. I found the copied sentence on page 17 of this on line CPO Warranty guide.

2019 CPO Warranty

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
The OP has "owned many Chevys" and "had nothing but positive experiences", but wants to replace his Honda with a Hyundai or Kia?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts