Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all first post, I am an UBER and LYFT driver and this is my second Honda Pilot, first was a beloved and old well maintained 2008 EX-L total loss in a head on wreck, my new is a 2016 EX-L.
anywho bought it as a second owner vehicle with no accidents, and only 46K on the clock, used with minor parking lot dings and scratches.
the HONDA DEALERSHIP performed basic stuff to get it to pass a MSI(Maryland State Inspection) we only need one inspection for purchase, not yearly like some states. the car was sound except for a few minor things needing attention, the rear washer hose broken and the XM Antennae crapping out for bad signal (both fixed under warrentee by dealer).

I drive mixed driving, primarily city, and some longer trips averaging about 140-200 miles per day. the car has been decent thus far, and yes I do miss the older tech easier to use aspects of the first gen (RADIO VOLUME BUTTON MISSING @#$%^&%$ !!!!!) but, it seems better on fuel by about 15-20%, and I have gotten an honest 22.7-23MPG on longer runs with the ECO button used. it handles way better in tight corners as well, but it rides like crap on bad city streets.

I blame the auto magazine writers for giving us stiff seats , stiff suspensions, and low profile tires that take road bumps like a mack truck.. all because they like a "flat handling vehicle that can manage quick changes of directions under high speed maneuvers." and here I thought we were driving 8 passenger mom mobiles.

in the last two weeks it started surging, and just being annoying for a very attentive driver such as myself. I've driven a few on vacations with rental cars, they always feel like crap to me.
(I HATE DRIVING CVT TRANSMISSIONS FOR THE SLOPPY LOOSE FEELING/NON LINEAR ACCELERATION/ MATCHING ENGINE REVS DRIVING IN SNOW UPHILL WITH A BAD CLUTCH SENSATION)

the Pilot started lightly bucking and surging. the only way I can say for sure was seat of the pants and of course watching the tachometer needle float out of the "locked converter position" to slip mode and back again. at about a 3-500 rpm jump, and it felt for all the world like I was goosing the throttle to make the car float in and out of lock.

to stop it from happening with passengers onboard, I'd engage the ECO button and that helped, but below 45MPH I felt that tapping the side shifter button to engage D-4, locking out 5th and 6th gears was the only way to keep from grinding my teeth to powder.

I did some research and found that this was an issue with the ZF 6 speeds, and on this very website was more information. TSB 17-014 being the notable one.

now my car was there at the dealer just today and the service writer (ED) is the guy I deal with primarilly for two very good reasons.

one, he listens to me and knows (I KNOW) what I speak of, and he's actually not just a paper puncher, he facilitates good service in a dealership which can be a hot mess at times.

two, he actually tells me the whole story of, "okay I gotta charge for X, here's why."

not just the typical (yeah we got you) "okay mr blasnalitz..here's your insane priced bill, go to the cashier over there, have a nice day, all fives, all fives, all fives, on our survey, der der der." as you wonder why you suddenly feel like you got the shower prison cash removal methods, yer rear hurts afterwards, and you come back for more torture the next time something acts up on your ride knowing their the big dude, and yer the girl.

for me personally I've been on both sides of the counter, towed & serviced cars, did car and truck parts, body shops, and some service writing and running a garage when I wrenched for a living. so a service writer who LISTENS is a Godsend. so I told him the list of like 7 TSB's that this website referenced, the car went back. he called me out of the waiting area after about an hour or so (MONDAY MORNING they were stacked with work) he shows me the TSB 17-014, was valid until like FEB 2017. then.... HONDA USA cheaped out and CHANGED the TSB to reflect the fact that ((all of the affected vehicles should've been serviced by now)) and decided to no longer warrantee the fix.

waah waah waah gee guys thanks.. thanks a whole lot

DRAG OUT YOUR WALLET AND HERE'S THE REPAIR STEPS..
1.FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION WITH A FULL LOAD OF NEW HONDA CORRECT TRANSMISSION FLUID
2.APPLY THE REMEDY SOFTWARE UPDATE TO TELL THE TRANSMISSION TO STOP FLOATING CONVERTER LOCK UP AND STAY IN LOCK UP, UNTIL ACCELERATION OR NEED FOR ADDITIONAL TORQUE REQUIREMENTS DEEMS IT NECESSARY FOR ENGINE RPM'S TO INCREASE TO COVER THE VEHICLE LOAD/ACCELERATION/HILL CLIMBING/TRANSMISSION DOWNSHIFT MODE.

TRANSLATION.... STOP COOKING THE TRANSMISSION FLUID!!!!!!!!

on my invoice it reflects as such..
10 units (Quarts HONDA ATF) 08200-9008 $ 9.88 PER Total $98.80
Reflash ECM/Trans module
CPS PARTS & SERVICE DISCOUNT -$10.00
TOTAL LABOR $97.39
FULL TOTAL TAX AND BONE YOU ADD ON'S $209.06

FINAL words.. it is fixed, drives even better then when I first got it and I knew that the dealership had done a drain and fill on the transmission pre delivery.
it now has very tight shifts and like I told Ed reflecting on the fact they rescinded the previous "it's on us for engineering it like that....oops."...
I said, "you know, Soichiro Honda (founder of Honda Motors) would NEVER do this to his customers. he'd either make the trans less sensitive, do the software, or make good on the service inclusive as a campaign."
Ed agreed ," yes, that's Corporate America..."

anywah.. that's the fix.. new fluid and the TSB 17-014 reflash, they will know of which you speak.. good luck and enjoy yer hondas

eat good ...keep em in the ten ring

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,324 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Nothing like fresh fluid to improve a transmission's behavior. Good work getting software updates.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My dealer covered the TSB under warranty just last week - no cost to me whatsoever. Tried to initially deny it under an older 16- TSB. What makes you think the 17-014 TSB is obsolete? My dealer was clueless (or at least acted clueless) until I I pointed out the TSB and the 8-year warranty contained therein.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealer covered the TSB under warranty just last week - no cost to me whatsoever. Tried to initially deny it under an older 16- TSB. What makes you think the 17-014 TSB is obsolete? My dealer was clueless (or at least acted clueless) until I I pointed out the TSB and the 8-year warranty contained therein.
I am the second owner and warrantee expired for my personal sales stuff..unfortunately.
they will only get me this once, and I'll do flushes every 60K from here on in..if it glitches out fully....I serviced it, if it fails now, I got a reason to take them to court for a dead transmission

1 - 6 of 6 Posts