Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all 3rd Gen’ers,
My mom previously had a 05 pilot but it was totaled when someone hit her last week. We went to look at the new 2021 and she loved them but it’s out of my price range. I found a similar one about 3.5 hours away. I’m looking to get my Mom into a 3rd gen 2016 Pilot EX with about 49000 miles on it. Dealer is asking $24500. Is this a fair price? Carfax seems clean, one owner and serviced at Honda it’s whole life it seems.
I personally own a 2011 pilot touring and love it but I don’t know anything about these newer models. Would anyone who has one be willing to share their experiences? any info on things I should look for that are common issues, anything to be on the lookout for while test driving/looking at it? is this a good price...etc. what is your experience overall, good or bad.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi all 3rd Gen’ers,
My mom previously had a 05 pilot but it was totaled when someone hit her last week. We went to look at the new 2021 and she loved them but it’s out of my price range. I found a similar one about 3.5 hours away. I’m looking to get my Mom into a 3rd gen 2016 Pilot EX with about 49000 miles on it. Dealer is asking $24500. Is this a fair price? Carfax seems clean, one owner and serviced at Honda it’s whole life it seems.
I personally own a 2011 pilot touring and love it but I don’t know anything about these newer models. Would anyone who has one be willing to share their experiences? any info on things I should look for that are common issues, anything to be on the lookout for while test driving/looking at it? is this a good price...etc. what is your experience overall, good or bad.

Thanks!!
Check if the injectors have been replaced. It's a common issue on the 2016 Pilots. If they haven't, it's a good point for price negotiations.
2016 is the only model without Apple Car play, so if you mom is a fan of that, buy a 2017 or newer instead. Otherwise the EX or EX-L are very much the same car from 2016 until 2020.

The price is a bit high in my opinion. You could probably get a brand new EX in 2016 or 2017 for about 30k USD or slightly above. But I paid almost 40k USD (in Swedish Kroner) for mine two years ago, and was very happy, but it's not comparable. I'm sure someone from the US will give you better ballpark figures on what price range would be acceptable.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
Used prices are very high imho currently, due to reduced production of new cars. Discounts on new are limited.
it’s got me considering leasing if I need a replacement vehicle in the next six to 12 months.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wow. Used prices are truly through the roof. For reference, I paid about 25k for my 2016 two years ago, and it was certified used with an extended warranty (similar miles).

In general, the 2nd gen is more reliable....i think that is a pretty general consensus here. Only thing I can think of is to make sure motor mounts aren't broken (test by giving some gas while holding the brake). Most other common issues have been covered by warranty extensions for that year including fuel injectors, and start stop button.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
As everyone said, that's a high price.
My greater concern is the 6-speed transmission. These were known to have the torque converter clutch lock issue aggravated by the VCM. Hopefully the first owner took care of this problem early before the transmission was damaged.

Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there an easy way to verify during inspection of the vehicle to see if the injectors been replaced? What are symptoms of the transmission issue I should look for while driving it if any...This vehicle is at a GMC dealership so I doubt they would have access to the Honda service record correct?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a 2016 EX-L with 40k miles on it. Overall, I am very happy with it and have had few if any issues worth mentioning.

1. I have not had a problem with the fuel injectors, but I also use an injector cleaner fuel additive every 5k or so. Even if this becomes a problem, I believe there is a TSB on it, and the dealer would cover the cost?

2. My trans has been perfect - no issues at all. There is a 5 yr/60k powertrain warranty which may still be running on this vehicle. Even if it is expired, it is so close you might get some goodwill from a Honda dealer to help with any potential repair cost.

3. My biggest issue is the brakes. Every 10k miles or so, the rotors warp and a bad vibration develops, requiring pad replacement and either cutting or replacing the rotors. I have a few friends with Pilots (2017 and 2020) that have the same issue.

4. Is there a Honda dealer near this GM dealer? Maybe you could get it checked out there before buying, and ask them to run the VIN to see if the TSB's and recalls have been done?

My wife loves this Pilot more than I do, and I suspect your mother would be very satisfied with it if it checks out.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Is there an easy way to verify during inspection of the vehicle to see if the injectors been replaced? What are symptoms of the transmission issue I should look for while driving it if any...This vehicle is at a GMC dealership so I doubt they would have access to the Honda service record correct?
This is the symptom of the torque converter clutch lock problem. An erratic rpm gauge.

The transmission fluid should be red, not black.
You could access the service records by setting up an account on the Honda Owners website. Then enter the VIN.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is the symptom of the torque converter clutch lock problem. An erratic rpm gauge.

The transmission fluid should be red, not black.
You could access the service records by setting up an account on the Honda Owners website. Then enter the VIN.
My Transmission did that on my 16. Its fixed now with a 3 part fluid flush and fill and software update.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The only thing I can tell you about my 2016 is that it has been trouble free. Got it new in December 2015.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
My 2017 had the torque converter clutch lock issue. I did multiple drain and fills of the ATF that improved the condition. It wasn't until I disabled the VCM that I solved the issue. I'd prefer my V6 to run on all cylinders 100% of the time anyway. I use S-VCM.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. The car checked out. Took the leap and surprised her with the Pilot. I will look into the VCM Disabler. I’m running a VCM muzzler on my 2011 also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts