Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been reading about people’s Pilot stalling and taking several attempts to restart so I don’t have to tell how my story starts. I have news for you! Mine started that way and two weeks ago it completely died and wouldn’t start. In the freeway. I couldn’t even turn on my emergency lights to alert other motorists that I was basically a parked car in the middle of the freeway. In the rain. I couldn’t put it in park like the message says because there was no message. Everything was off. No lights anywhere. Did I say NO EMERGENCY LIGHTS??? By the grace of God, I escaped from that extremely scary situation and was finally towed. Brought the car to the dealer and they said that the transmission sensor malfunctioned and they repaired it. Two weeks later, it happened again. This time with my daughter in the car with me! Thankfully we were not in the middle of the freeway but we’re still in traffic on the freeway exit and we were able to exit the car and we’re safer (maybe) on the side of the road. I had remembered to turn the feature off so it was off when this happened this time. The dealer was closed by the time my Pilot was towed there. I have reported it to NHTSA. I will let you know how the story continues. I REFUSE TO DRIVE MY PILOT FOR FEAR IT WILL SERIOUSLY INJURE OR KILL THE PASSENGERS RIDING IT. Be safe in yours.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just push the Auto Idle Stop disable button on the console each time you start the engine!!! You don't need that worthless feature. 2016 original battery? Likely time for a new AGM battery.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Just push the Auto Start Stop disable button on the console!!! You didn't state what year it is, if a 2016-2017 then most likely time for a new AGM battery.
Since it was in the shop, I'd assume they'd checked the battery first thing.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Since it was in the shop, I'd assume they'd checked the battery first thing.
I don't trust their battery checks. Several people have had this problem and had batteries tested ok, but finally have the battery replaced and it corrects the problem.

Reactions: Aviator6

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,193 Posts
Sounds like the OP's car was electrically dead.
2016 should all have had their batteries replaced by now. 2017's should have already started replacing theirs.
Do it before it fails to avoid a preventable breakdown.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just push the Auto Idle Stop disable button on the console each time you start the engine!!! You don't need that worthless feature. 2016 original battery? Likely time for a new AGM battery.
I DID turn off the auto idle stop feature before I drove it. And it still died. Battery was changed 2/14/20. Very new battery!! Thread is titled 2016 Pilot ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sounds like the OP's car was electrically dead.
2016 should all have had their batteries replaced by now. 2017's should have already started replacing theirs.
Do it before it fails to avoid a preventable breakdown.
Battery replaced 2/14/20. Breakdown not prevented.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't trust their battery checks. Several people have had this problem and had batteries tested ok, but finally have the battery replaced and it corrects the problem.
Battery replaced 2/14/20. Problem not corrected.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Please follow up with the diagnostics and or repairs they come up with. I am having a hard time understanding how the Auto/Stop feature is shutting off your car and killing ALL power. Especially while driving on the freeway! Sounds more like a power distribution problem from the ECM, BCM, bad intermittent ground, other module, or the battery itself as someone else stated.

The Auto/Stop feature has a lot of haters and there are ways to work around it and disable it permanently. I am one of the few I think who actually likes it and use it all the time along with the ECON button on and no VCM disabler.

Best of luck and looking forward to see what the problem real is/was.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring in Steel Sapphire Metallic
6 Posts
I’ve been reading about people’s Pilot stalling and taking several attempts to restart so I don’t have to tell how my story starts. I have news for you! Mine started that way and two weeks ago it completely died and wouldn’t start. In the freeway. I couldn’t even turn on my emergency lights to alert other motorists that I was basically a parked car in the middle of the freeway. In the rain. I couldn’t put it in park like the message says because there was no message. Everything was off. No lights anywhere. Did I say NO EMERGENCY LIGHTS??? By the grace of God, I escaped from that extremely scary situation and was finally towed. Brought the car to the dealer and they said that the transmission sensor malfunctioned and they repaired it. Two weeks later, it happened again. This time with my daughter in the car with me! Thankfully we were not in the middle of the freeway but we’re still in traffic on the freeway exit and we were able to exit the car and we’re safer (maybe) on the side of the road. I had remembered to turn the feature off so it was off when this happened this time. The dealer was closed by the time my Pilot was towed there. I have reported it to NHTSA. I will let you know how the story continues. I REFUSE TO DRIVE MY PILOT FOR FEAR IT WILL SERIOUSLY INJURE OR KILL THE PASSENGERS RIDING IT. Be safe in yours.
What came of this problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts