Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the cold oil, hot engine story is nuts I'm a registered PE Mech Engr with 45 years experience in the field

Your most probable issues are:
1. Broken Timing Belt

2. Quick change screw up. Started the engine without oil, realized it, shut it off, filled it and sent you on your way

3. Quick Change screw up. Leaked oil from the filter or drain plug. Oil got looow, you wrecked the cams.

I think a reputable non dealer shop could put a new Honda engine in for a lot less than $16K. Have you owned this since new? Honda may give you relief if you go to the Zone Rep.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this but DAYUM, $16k for a new engine? Is that including install? I spend a lot of time working on classics, $16k can get you a 500-600hp motor for that price with much more exotic parts (albeit not as many sensors and variable this and that most likely). INSANE.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We are in the process of going through something similar but brought the vehicle in before it reached the failure point as yours. Ours shows that it has a spun bearing with metal shavings in the oil pan. We have the extended warranty but at the moment Honda is refusing to honor the warranty saying it shows signs of neglected maintenance. We have all of our maintenance records including proof of all the cases of 0W-20 Mobile 1 synthetic purchased from Costco. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a known issue by Honda and they are trying to cover it up by blaming it on the owners. Looking back, from early on in our ownership, I can remember occasionally when accelerating up on ramps or periodically when passing someone on the highway which required higher RPM’s we would occasionally get a high pitched squealing/vibration coming from the engine but the vehicle ran fine all other times until it recently began to make some noises and slight hesitation under acceleration which prompted us to take it in for inspection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update

Thanks for all the replies.

Going to find an independent shop that works on Honda’s to give a second opinion on cause and whether it can be rebuilt rather than replaced, and at what cost. More to come on that. I’d prefer to get it fixed and sell it.

Thanks for the advice to talk to Honda to see if they’ll help even though it’s out of warranty.

I’ve always changed my own oil on cars I’ve owned but this is a business-owned vehicle. Sure, the quick change place may have made a mistake, but it wasn’t chronic. I had nearly all the oil changes on a Ford Expedition done there too and sold it with 212,000 still going strong with no leaks before I got the Pilot.

In the meantime I picked up a 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD and it blows the Pilot Elite away in many areas.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
We are in the process of going through something similar but brought the vehicle in before it reached the failure point as yours. Ours shows that it has a spun bearing with metal shavings in the oil pan. We have the extended warranty but at the moment Honda is refusing to honor the warranty saying it shows signs of neglected maintenance. We have all of our maintenance records including proof of all the cases of 0W-20 Mobile 1 synthetic purchased from Costco.
If Honda refuses the claim, you might try contacting Mobil and inquire if they would cover the cost of repairs under their warranty.
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-oil-warranty

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yep, this is 100% on Honda. Unfortunately all brands can have issues like this. Going to a quick oil change place doesn't void your warranty or waive your right to claim anything from Honda. Engines should not fail at 118,000 miles. Sorry this event has turned you off of Hondas. Congrats on the new car and hope you can get the Pilot fixed and sold quickly and cheaply.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If Honda refuses the claim, you might try contacting Mobil and inquire if they would cover the cost of repairs under their warranty.
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-oil-warranty
Interesting. Thanks! We also pulled out all of our paperwork from the initial purchase and found a lifetime warranty included in the purchase that covers all drive train components including the engine. The service rep said they are easier to work with than Honda so it looks like we have 3 warranties to claim against. You would think one of them will pay out. Regardless, it's disheartening to see Honda react this way not wanting to honor their extended warranty. We've submitted service records for the oil changes and we will now see how Honda responds. I will continue to keep the board updated as I feel this is important for anyone who currently owns a Pilot or anyone considering purchasing one as well as the Honda Care warranty to know how they respond to a claim like this.

·
Registered
247 Posts
We also pulled out all of our paperwork from the initial purchase and found a lifetime warranty included in the purchase that covers all drive train components including the engine.
You might want to take a close look at that paperwork; I've never heard of a new (or used) car sold with a "lifetime" warranty for the entire drivetrain. So you can drive the car for 500K miles and then make a warranty claim for a new engine?

- Mark

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
You might want to take a close look at that paperwork; I've never heard of a new (or used) car sold with a "lifetime" warranty for the entire drivetrain. So you can drive the car for 500K miles and then make a warranty claim for a new engine?
The free "lifetime" powertrain warranties included by some dealers are not that rare.
As you say, you need to check the fine print.
Dealer - as opposed to DIY - maintenance is often required and you have to adhere to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule without exception.
Some warranties will only pay out up to the book value of the vehicle, so if the cost of a replacement engine for your Pilot with 500K miles on it is perhaps $5K, but the book value is only $3K, then only $3K of the repair will be covered.
Likewise, the replacement parts used may be rebuilt or remanufactured rather than new.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update

Second opinion from a good shop in Minneapolis area is saying $5,400 for a low mileage Pilot engine installed with a one year warranty. FYI rebuild would be about $2,000 more.

If I fix it and sell it do you disclose the engine upfront? I think you have to, right? Has anyone been pricing used 2016 Elite’s? I need to research.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Update

Second opinion from a good shop in Minneapolis area is saying $5,400 for a low mileage Pilot engine installed with a one year warranty. FYI rebuild would be about $2,000 more.

If I fix it and sell it do you disclose the engine upfront? I think you have to, right? Has anyone been pricing used 2016 Elite’s? I need to research.
If you're going to sell it, just rebuild to minimize your loss. With the number of miles you have on it, it appears you already used your money's worth even though it could still ride for much longer if you install a new engine. You won't have to disclose upfront but your buyer will eventually get to know the details. My advice if you go down that route will be to first secure interest based on the barest minimum you need to divulge and then share caveats before a financial commitment.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts