Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2016 pilot ex-l. I bought a radio unit out of an ‘18, installed it and it starts up with the Honda logo then goes black screen, I can’t get anything out of it. So then I bought a radio out of a ‘17 but the USBs would not connect. Did I get 2 lemons or am I missing something here. It seems everyone is having good luck with this and I’m falling short somewhere..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in the same boat, in that I just got a 2017 radio unit that I hope to install as soon as it gets warm enough in the northeast.
Regarding your issue, you did not specify if the replacement units are also from EXL or some another model. My understanding is that EX also works with EXL and vice versa.
No one appears to have tried using different model units on another model, hence the reason for the question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 Touring Edition so I purchased a unit from a 2017 Touring Edition via Ebay. After removing the dash and old unit, the wiring is totally different. I have two extra "plugs" in our 2016 unit that are not in the back of the 2017 unit. Everything shows that this unit should be plug and play but I don't know what to do now. Anyone seen this issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2016 Touring Edition so I purchased a unit from a 2017 Touring Edition via Ebay. After removing the dash and old unit, the wiring is totally different. I have two extra "plugs" in our 2016 unit that are not in the back of the 2017 unit. Everything shows that this unit should be plug and play but I don't know what to do now. Anyone seen this issue?
I’m guessing your original radio has navigation?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2 extra plugs are for Navi, you can actually take the unit apart and swap out just the bottom circuit board out and keep your old radio

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in the same boat, in that I just got a 2017 radio unit that I hope to install as soon as it gets warm enough in the northeast.
Regarding your issue, you did not specify if the replacement units are also from EXL or some another model. My understanding is that EX also works with EXL and vice versa.
No one appears to have tried using different model units on another model, hence the reason for the question.
My ‘16 is an EX-L. The ‘17 is an EX, I’m unsure about the ‘18

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m guessing your original radio has navigation?
You are correct. I did not think the Touring model could not have navigation. We also have rear entertainment and the 2017 car had this option as well. I assumed it had navigation as well but I could be totally wrong I guess

1 - 7 of 7 Posts