Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took to dealer with 75k for the torque converter judder with tsb 17-014. They fixed it under warranty. Now pilot has 87k miles and it’s throwing a transmission code in pic. Can’t find any info if this is covered under another extended warranty from the tsb or not. 13k miles and problems again is crazy to me. Thanks! Text Font Technology Document

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Took to dealer with 75k for the torque converter judder with tsb 17-014. They fixed it under warranty. Now pilot has 87k miles and it’s throwing a transmission code in pic. Can’t find any info if this is covered under another extended warranty from the tsb or not. 13k miles and problems again is crazy to me. Thanks! View attachment 136922
Ok, so they did the drain and fill 3 times on the DW-1 fluid. Since you drove 13k, I'd get a clear glass sample of that fluid. If it's black, you got more problems than the code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they did. it’s starting to slip a bit so it mostly likely needs a transmission. It’s over the 8 year 80k warranty they put on these. I have no problem throwing in a new trans, just can’t find anything if they extend the warranty since the fluid flush and update. I’m just impatient and don’t want to wait till Monday to call lol didn’t know if this has happened to anyone after they already had the warranty work done. I don’t want to touch it if there’s still some kind of extra warranty.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Yes they did. it’s starting to slip a bit so it mostly likely needs a transmission. It’s over the 8 year 80k warranty they put on these. I have no problem throwing in a new trans, just can’t find anything if they extend the warranty since the fluid flush and update. I’m just impatient and don’t want to wait till Monday to call lol didn’t know if this has happened to anyone after they already had the warranty work done. I don’t want to touch it if there’s still some kind of extra warranty.
If your out of warranty, what do you have to loose then? Dump that DW-1 and do a 3 time drain and fill with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife or Amalie Universal Synthetic and see if you can save it. And if you haven't yet, use a VCM disabler. It just might work.
Shift Solenoids can be replaced.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If your out of warranty, what do you have to loose then? Dump that DW-1 and do a 3 time drain and fill with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife or Amalie Universal Synthetic and see if you can save it. And if you haven't yet, use a VCM disabler. It just might work.
Shift Solenoids can be replaced.
I've just had the fluid changed in my 2016EXL and it was that dark. Prior to that I had 3 D&F done at 20K, then 2 more at 30K. And now, only after 10K it is dark. Fluid at 30K has been analyzed and nothing abnormal found, besides it was quite sheared. And it was all DW1 of course. Soooo, south texas driving (houston and suburbs) takes the toll. Valvoline would be the cure???

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I've just had the fluid changed in my 2016EXL and it was that dark. Prior to that I had 3 D&F done at 20K, then 2 more at 30K. And now, only after 10K it is dark. Fluid at 30K has been analyzed and nothing abnormal found, besides it was quite sheared. And it was all DW1 of course. Soooo, south texas driving (houston and suburbs) takes the toll. Valvoline would be the cure???
I have Valvoline MaxLife ATF in mine right now out of desperation. I have no waranty on a 20k mile transmission because I bought my Pilot at auction and rebuilt it. The black fluid meant something was wrong. I've driven it about 4,500 miles and did the VCM deactivation and my troubles ended. No more slipping gears or eratic acting rpm gauge. The only side effect I see using MaxLife ATF is with this thinner fluid, the shifts are not as smooth. The viscosity of MaxLife is around 150. DW-1 is over 200. I'm seriously considering Amalie Universal Synthetic at around 180. Theoretically it should make for a smoother shift.
Where are you at in your warranty?
That amount of metallic silt on your magnet looks excessive.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have Valvoline MaxLife ATF in mine right now out of desperation. I have no waranty on a 20k mile transmission because I bought my Pilot at auction and rebuilt it. The black fluid meant something was wrong. I've driven it about 4,500 miles and did the VCM deactivation and my troubles ended. No more slipping gears or eratic acting rpm gauge. The only side effect I see using MaxLife ATF is with this thinner fluid, the shifts are not as smooth. The viscosity of MaxLife is around 150. DW-1 is over 200. I'm seriously considering Amalie Universal Synthetic at around 180. Theoretically it should make for a smoother shift.
another year or 20K on the warranty. we drive 10k/yr on average.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Also, why would you say amount of slime is excessive?

·
Registered
910 Posts
MaxLife viscocity is probably not causing firmer shifts. Rather the friction modifer properties seem to be a compromis in order to make the fluid more "universal". Adequate but not exactly factory matched for DW-1 shift performance. Adding Lubeguard HFM, at about half the recommended amount, appears to bring the friction modifer close to DW-1, and smoother shifts.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
MaxLife viscocity is probably not causing firmer shifts. Rather the friction modifer properties seem to be a compromis in order to make the fluid more "universal". Adequate but not exactly factory matched for DW-1 shift performance. Adding Lubeguard HFM, at about half the recommended amount, appears to bring the friction modifer close to DW-1, and smoother shifts.
Your tempting me with an additive. I'm not easily persuaded. But in this case, I may give in.
Anything to fear?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I dont see this being recomended for my vehicle.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Thought I had to pay for a subscription for that. All this time. ¯\(ツ)
Did you enter the vehicle info into the signature section so that it will appear under your posts?
Click on your avatar on the upper right corner of the page; then select 'Account Settings'; then on the left side of the page under 'Settings' select 'Signature' and finally fill in the details of your fleet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts