Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
having just done this with the OEM kit. the hose that is marked "do not reuse" is one that was attached to your transmission to the filter. you remove this hose and attach the ones from the kit. Make sure you have enough clearance or your will be doing this for a while. I had to cut the old hose after removing the clamps from it.

Not sure where you are going to get your OEM kit.. but I got mine here 2016-2020 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR ATF Cooler Kit 06255-RLX-306 | Honda Superstore Parts @ $140 plus shipping was $156.68
This is the FIRST time I have seen the Honda transmission cooler being listed for BOTH the 6 speed and the 9 speed transmission. Last time I had looked during thespring there were two separate part numbers, one for the 6 speed and one for the 9 speed. The 9 speed one was about $300.00 or so and the 6 speed one about half that price.

There was some discussion also by others looking for the 9 speed one at the time saying some of the dealers were showing it was discontinued. I had decided to wait and looks like I may have made the correct decision if this new part number can in fact be used on the 9 speed for half the price of the old part numbered one.

Anyone install it on the 9 speed yet?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Checking around, some dealer part departments on line are showing this for only the 6 speed. Others are saying 6 and 9 speed. Definitely worth looking into for the price advantage.

I will have to send a few emails to different web sites to find out for sure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is the FIRST time I have seen the Honda transmission cooler being listed for BOTH the 6 speed and the 9 speed transmission. Last time I had looked during thespring there were two separate part numbers, one for the 6 speed and one for the 9 speed. The 9 speed one was about $300.00 or so and the 6 speed one about half that price.

There was some discussion also by others looking for the 9 speed one at the time saying some of the dealers were showing it was discontinued. I had decided to wait and looks like I may have made the correct decision if this new part number can in fact be used on the 9 speed for half the price of the old part numbered one.

I'd say it's an error and lazy work on the websites. Different transmissions and different coolers. Same as they list the cooler is both for FWD and AWD. According to honda it is not

·
Registered
312 Posts
It appears the actual tranny cooler unit is shared by both 6sp & 9sp trannies. However, the tubing between the cooler and tranny is substantially different.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

This is the picture for the 9 speed install.. looks like the cooler is the same, but the hose/tubes are different

I

·
Registered
312 Posts
With regard to the 9AT, there is a thread in this forum in which the member installed the Honda cooler on his FWD 9AT. The FWD 9AT appears to not have a threaded hole on the bottom the tranny for bolt #15 shown in 9AT diagram. I believe the member successfully epoxied a nut to the tranny for bolt #15 to hold bracket #4.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have an email in to a Honda dealership I have purchased from before. Once I hear back from them I will post what they say it will fit or not.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There are posts in this forum showing both Honda coolers installed....one part number for the 6AT and a different part number for the 9AT.

·
Registered
732 Posts
There are posts in this forum showing both Honda coolers installed....one part number for the 6AT and a different part number for the 9AT.
I understand that as stated in my post #81. I posted this was the FIRST time I had seen the same part being shown as good for both transmissions. I also stated that for a while in the spring, some were saying the 9 speed cooler was being shown as discontinued. Thought perhaps they modified this cooler for use with either transmission.

Got a reply from the Honda store I have purchased from, it's a no go with this part for the 9 speed. Oh well, back to paying around $300.00+ for the part only if I want to add the correct cooler.

New message from: galpinhonda (44,302TurquoiseShooting Star)
It looks like this item will not fit the Touring edition.
It is possible this will not be a straight bolt on item as the catalog states it will not fit this VIN.

Also got this reply a few hours after the first one

New message from: galpinhonda (44,306TurquoiseShooting Star)
Thank you so much for the information, we will fix the listing ASAP.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It’s going to say “will not fit” if the VIN indicates FWD. Step #10 in the instructions (AWD) shows the bracket being bolted to the case of the tranny. Apparently the hole for the bracket is not cast/drilled/tapped into the case of the FWD tranny. One bolt and Honda/dealership says it won’t fit FWD........go figure.

Looks like the 6AT cooler can almost be installed blindfolded compared to the 9AT cooler.😱

·
Registered
131 Posts
I understand that as stated in my post #81. I posted this was the FIRST time I had seen the same part being shown as good for both transmissions. I also stated that for a while in the spring, some were saying the 9 speed cooler was being shown as discontinued. Thought perhaps they modified this cooler for use with either transmission.

Got a reply from the Honda store I have purchased from, it's a no go with this part for the 9 speed. Oh well, back to paying around $300.00+ for the part only if I want to add the correct cooler.

New message from: galpinhonda (44,302TurquoiseShooting Star)
It looks like this item will not fit the Touring edition.
It is possible this will not be a straight bolt on item as the catalog states it will not fit this VIN.

Also got this reply a few hours after the first one

New message from: galpinhonda (44,306TurquoiseShooting Star)
Thank you so much for the information, we will fix the listing ASAP.
the vast majority of the websites selling honda parts have 6AT cooler listed not only for both FWD and AWD, but also for 6AT and 9AT. I think the only one that has it correct is Honda of College Hills

·
Registered
312 Posts
The other 11 bolts should hold the cooler components on FWD Pilots just fine, I would think. We have a member here that has mounted the 9AT cooler to his FWD Pilot. We have members that offered suggestions on how to mount the 12th bolt......successfully I presume.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
209 Posts
that was another 45 minutes of figuring out. ended up having the rear tires on ramps and then jacking up the front then have jack stands on the front jack spots.

Here are some pictures of my pathetic attempt at this.. I'll get better.
View attachment 140548

View attachment 140549 View attachment 140550 View attachment 140551

Forgot to mention, got the DW-1 @ $8 per qt and washers @ $3 each from the stealership.
I use a 12 quart drain pan, has a funnelled drain area, with a screw in plug, it also has a screw cap on the pour spout, and a vent cap- to help it drain easier. It's low profile.
I fill it with all kinds of 'fluids/oils' and empty it at my cities dump site- free.

** Edit- I guess it's a 15qt pan.- Walmart

AND, I hope you are aware that the Valvoline Maxlife ATF is under $18/gallon at Walmart?
I use it in my Gen 1 and 2; 08 and 15. It mixes so you don't flush anything, just D&F away!
My Pilots are both 5 spds though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
OEM cooler and ATF filter have arrived. Cooler seems like a really solid part, all the hardware and everything is in the kit. Should be cooling off here Houston towards the end of the week so that's when I'm planning on installing it. Plus oil change. Plus I still have read discs/pads sitting waiting to be put on (changed out the fronts but it's too damn hot in garage to do both at once). If anyone have tips or notes on cooler/filter install - share away, my appreciation goes to y'all!

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Post #9 and #13 is my only help. Be very observant of the direction the filter is installed. Wrong flow direction is bad.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts