Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

Registered
If you get a TFT monitoring device, keep us posted. I saw a 35-40 degree drop after the cooler install.馃憣
What were your temps prior to install? I was just driving today monitoring temp and with 85F during the evening hours temp around the town (stop and go at 30mph), went as high as 203F. is that not too much? In my opinion it is

Registered
What were your temps prior to install? I was just driving today monitoring temp and with 85F during the evening hours temp around the town (stop and go at 30mph), went as high as 203F. is that not too much? In my opinion it is
No, 203F is not too much, but that's precisely why I installed an aftermarket tranny cooler on our '17 FWD Ridgeline (no factory cooler)......consistently saw 210F+ TFT, farting around town in 3 digit ambient temps, not towing. I'm old school, just not comfortable with 200F+ TFT. The cooler works great......highest TFT I've observed post cooler install is 176F (post #45) and that was sitting in a long, slow moving drive-thru line for about 20 minutes.:D TFT started dropping after a couple of miles driving, more airflow thru the cooler.

Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Discussion Starter #63
I don't have a base line for prior to install.. so yeah...

Also, Autozone by my house was running a special right now with a cheapy drain pan, orange hand cleaner, shop towels and a funnel for $6 (normally $13) called it oil change bundle

Registered
Discussion Starter #64
That's precisely why I installed an aftermarket tranny cooler on our '17 FWD Ridgeline (no factory cooler)......consistently saw 210F+ TFT, farting around town in 3 digit ambient temps, not towing. Works great......highest TFT I've observed post cooler install is 176F (post #45).:D
so.. what you are saying is.. maybe.. eventually, I'll want to get a bigger aftermarket cooler instead?

Registered
Not necessarily, just keep a close eye on TFT when you get your TFT monitor.:D Also, check both tranny fluid level/color frequently. When color changes from pinkish red to brownish, might want to do a fluid D&F.

If you decide to go bigger later, you've already done 3/4 of the job with fluid lines already installed and connected to the tranny.

Registered
Question folks, the ATF filter hose that is meant to be changed out as per the diagram ("do not reuse"), does it come with the kit or needs to be acquired separately?

Also, I would imagine it makes sense to have the ATF filter changed out during the install? Anything additional is required besides the filter itself?

Registered

Registered
Question folks, the ATF filter hose that is meant to be changed out as per the diagram ("do not reuse"), does it come with the kit or needs to be acquired separately?
This kit comes with everything you need. Part# 06255-RLX-306

There is a way to save quite a bit of money by buying just the cooler and hoses separately. Then using your own clamps and 10mm bolts.
Also, I would imagine it makes sense to have the ATF filter changed out during the install? Anything additional is required besides the filter itself?
This would be your call.
I was searching for better filtration. The factory filter was not catching the finest black particles floating in my ATF. I'm currently testing the Wix/ Filtran 58953. It has a larger filter media with a large magnet. So far I'm happy.

Registered
Question folks, the ATF filter hose that is meant to be changed out as per the diagram ("do not reuse"), does it come with the kit or needs to be acquired separately?...............
If you were to go with an aftermarket tranny cooler kit, the kit will most likely come with hoses, clamps, brackets, etc. You will have to be creative when mounting an aftermarket tranny cooler. The cooler itself will likely be somewhat larger than the Honda unit.

Registered
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)

having just done this with the OEM kit. the hose that is marked "do not reuse" is one that was attached to your transmission to the filter. you remove this hose and attach the ones from the kit. Make sure you have enough clearance or your will be doing this for a while. I had to cut the old hose after removing the clamps from it.

Not sure where you are going to get your OEM kit.. but I got mine here 2016-2020 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR ATF Cooler Kit 06255-RLX-306 | Honda Superstore Parts @ $140 plus shipping was $156.68

Registered
Discussion Starter #71
I didn't have any temp measurements before the cooler install and flush.. but I got the ODB II and got Torque pro and highest noticeable temp driving back from Spokane to Tacoma (after second flush in spokane) was about 175 during the entire 6 hour drive. The temp actually dropped as we were getting closer to home going through the mountain passes.

Registered
Here鈥檚 a thread from a fellow Piloteer, Daytripper64. He recommended removing the battery and the box it sits in. I did exactly that doing the cooler install on our FWD Ridgeline.....with the battery out of the way, connecting the rubber hoses to the tranny is easy.

Registered
Here鈥檚 a thread from a fellow Piloteer, Daytripper64. He recommended removing the battery and the box it sits in. I did exactly that doing the cooler install on our FWD Ridgeline.....with the battery out of the way, connecting the rubber hoses to the tranny is easy.

Yes, instructions PDF, post #13
馃憤

Reactions: PLT383

Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
If you were to go with an aftermarket tranny cooler kit, the kit will most likely come with hoses, clamps, brackets, etc. You will have to be creative when mounting an aftermarket tranny cooler. The cooler itself will likely be somewhat larger than the Honda unit.
I went with a Derale cooler kit that is about twice the size of the OEM and the only thing I needed was an extra 4' length of 11/32" hose. Cost was around $100 including the extra hose. I did need to fabricate some mounts out of some aluminum flatbar and used the existing mounting holes so no drilling was required on the car.

Registered
having just done this with the OEM kit. the hose that is marked "do not reuse" is one that was attached to your transmission to the filter. you remove this hose and attach the ones from the kit. Make sure you have enough clearance or your will be doing this for a while. I had to cut the old hose after removing the clamps from it.

Not sure where you are going to get your OEM kit.. but I got mine here 2016-2020 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR ATF Cooler Kit 06255-RLX-306 | Honda Superstore Parts @ $140 plus shipping was $156.68
That's the one I've ordered from Majestic Honda for 134$ plus shipping, also added a filter to have it replaced since I was planning to be there anyways. Did you have a filter replaced and if so any issues getting it off?

Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
That's the one I've ordered from Majestic Honda for 134$ plus shipping, also added a filter to have it replaced since I was planning to be there anyways. Did you have a filter replaced and if so any issues getting it off?
I also changed out the filter when I installed the trans cooler. Easy to get at when you remove the battery and battery box and no issues changing it. Just make sure that you install the new one in the same direction as there is an internal bypass valve in those filters.

Registered
I also changed out the filter when I installed the trans cooler. Easy to get at when you remove the battery and battery box and no issues changing it. Just make sure that you install the new one in the same direction as there is an internal bypass valve in those filters.
thanks for the note good Sir

Registered
Discussion Starter #78
yeah.. I didn't realize to change out the filter while I had it apart.. otherwise I probably would have done it too. and yes.. I would HIGHLY recommend removing the battery and tray for easier access to the filter/hose section(that part alone took me 45min without removing)

I also didn't remove the front grill as I didn't have it up high enough for clearance.. still was able to get the OEM cooler installed.. just took more time.. it's up to you which battle you want to fight.. I did my installed after work at 5:30pm.. it got cold fast so I thought I could somewhat rush through it.. live and learn.

Registered
yeah.. I didn't realize to change out the filter while I had it apart.. otherwise I probably would have done it too. and yes.. I would HIGHLY recommend removing the battery and tray for easier access to the filter/hose section(that part alone took me 45min without removing)

I also didn't remove the front grill as I didn't have it up high enough for clearance.. still was able to get the OEM cooler installed.. just took more time.. it's up to you which battle you want to fight.. I did my installed after work at 5:30pm.. it got cold fast so I thought I could somewhat rush through it.. live and learn.
have you had to add any ATF after the install?

On a side note, did you have the transmission software updated (TSB) on your pilot prior to install or after? if so, did you notice any changes in tranny behavior?

Registered
Discussion Starter #80
have you had to add any ATF after the install?

On a side note, did you have the transmission software updated (TSB) on your pilot prior to install or after? if so, did you notice any changes in tranny behavior?
I did not have the transmission software update prior to the install and after. I don't know if I can perform that myself.

I did a drain on this prior to the install. After install, I added back 4 qts of ATF which is about the volume needed after adding the cooler.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts