Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 81,000 miles on our 2016 Elite. We started noticing a squeak/chirp and a bit of a shudder when stepping on the gas around 25 mph. Dropped off at the dealer and they said they found metal shavings in the oil pan. We have the extended warranty so thankful we purchased it. Honda rep is supposed to come out in 24-48hrs to inspect. Anyone else have this issue? I did a search and didn’t find anything.

·
Registered
240 Posts
We have 81,000 miles on our 2016 Elite. We started noticing a squeak/chirp and a bit of a shudder when stepping on the gas around 25 mph. Dropped off at the dealer and they said they found metal shavings in the oil pan. We have the extended warranty so thankful we purchased it. Honda rep is supposed to come out in 24-48hrs to inspect. Anyone else have this issue? I did a search and didn’t find anything.
Metal shavings in the oil pan is impossible unless the engine was run without oil and still had no oil when the dealer supposedly found them. There is absolutely zero correlation between a “squeak/chirp and a bit of a shudder” and the engine. I’d be looking at the torque converter if I had to identify the cause of those symptoms.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you mean the oil pan than metal "shavings" can result from a "spun" rod or main bearing. The engine doesn't have to have been run without oil.

Spun Bearing

If you mean the transmission oil pan, than yes, something from the transmission such as the torque converter or internals.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer didn’t specify which oil pan. I’m assuming the transmission oil pan. They sent a text saying they spoke with Honda Care who were sending an inspector out to look at it. I’m always skeptical of dealerships whether it’s under warranty or not. I used to detail cars at a dealership for one of my first jobs and I learned a lot from talking with the mechanics and sales guys about the profit margins on these types of things. Just glad we have the warranty at this point. I’ve been religious about oil changes and always run 0W-20 Mobile 1 in the vehicle. I’ll keep the forum updated on what we hear back.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Dealer didn’t specify which oil pan. I’m assuming the transmission oil pan. They sent a text saying they spoke with Honda Care who were sending an inspector out to look at it. I’m always skeptical of dealerships whether it’s under warranty or not. I used to detail cars at a dealership for one of my first jobs and I learned a lot from talking with the mechanics and sales guys about the profit margins on these types of things. Just glad we have the warranty at this point. I’ve been religious about oil changes and always run 0W-20 Mobile 1 in the vehicle. I’ll keep the forum updated on what we hear back.
I’m always nervous about my Hondacare when I do my own oil changes / fluids and not use the dealership. I do buy OEM oil filters / fluids and keep the receipts though to show them I’m performing “maintenance”.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke to the dealer this morning. It is the engine oil pan and he said it looks like it needs a new short block so basically a new engine. All covered under the Honda Care warranty. Waiting on the inspector to confirm. After the engine replacement they will then try to diagnose the transmission to see if that has something wrong with it as well. Thankful for the warranty as we debated if it was worth it.

·
Administrator
15,514 Posts
So what about the Chirp? If you look back at the history of the 2016 nine speed cars, chirping was never a good thing.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Spoke to the dealer this morning. It is the engine oil pan and he said it looks like it needs a new short block so basically a new engine. All covered under the Honda Care warranty. Waiting on the inspector to confirm. After the engine replacement they will then try to diagnose the transmission to see if that has something wrong with it as well. Thankful for the warranty as we debated if it was worth it.
Glad the short block will be covered by Honda Care. You may also have a loaner included if you need one since Honda Care now covers one for any warranty repairs. Must not have been low or out of oil as that would have been a pretty sure denial of any engine damage claim.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what about the Chirp? If you look back at the history of the 2016 nine speed cars, chirping was never a good thing.
Dealer said they will have to wait until the new engine is installed to see if the chirp is gone. They did provide a loaner vehicle which they will bill to Honda Care I'm sure. Preparing to be without the vehicle for a bit as they troubleshoot this. Oil was not low. I check it regularly and have cases of 0W-20 Mobile 1 from Costco in the garage I use for oil changes. There was a recall on the last generation engines for an issue with the pistons not being properly heat treated and wearing prematurely I believe. Curious to see the reputation of these down the road if this starts happening to others.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Since I haven't heard anything about the "Chirp" in the 9 speed transmission for quite a while now, I forgot all about that. It was a pretty big discussion for a while when that generation of 9 speed was put into the 2016 and 2017 Pilots. There were several owner's who had transmissions replaced because that "chirp" represented damage of some sort in the transmission. I don't recall if reprogramming was also done on some to correct the situation or not.

Would be pretty unheard of if an engine and a transmission both would have to be replaced at the same time for two different reasons. As KSU stated, so thankful they purchased the extended warranty! ?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Glad to hear things are getting worked out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, not so fast on the thankfulness for the extended warranty. Dealer says Honda is denying it saying the engine shows signs of neglected maintenance. This engine has been babied with 0W-20 Mobile 1 engine oil and Napa Gold filters for every oil change routinely before the maintenance minder was due. For Honda to pull something like this and try to blame us for lack of maintenance is ridiculous. I have records of the oil purchases and oil change schedule which I now have to provide. If we paid for the extended warranty and they deny a claim on an engine failing prematurely I will be livid. I’ll keep you posted...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well, not so fast on the thankfulness for the extended warranty. Dealer says Honda is denying it saying the engine shows signs of neglected maintenance. This engine has been babied with 0W-20 Mobile 1 engine oil and Napa Gold filters for every oil change routinely before the maintenance minder was due. For Honda to pull something like this and try to blame us for lack of maintenance is ridiculous. I have records of the oil purchases and oil change schedule which I now have to provide. If we paid for the extended warranty and they deny a claim on an engine failing prematurely I will be livid. I’ll keep you posted...
Sounds a little fishy. For what it’s worth, I’m sticking to Honda oil filters as always on all my Honda vehicles. Less finger-pointing the way I see it. Besides, I got the dealer to throw in a case of Honda oil filters and crush washers on my recent new Pilot purchase.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Sounds like the crap Hyundai/Kia tried to a few years back when they had all those bad engines. People who did their own oil changes and whatnot were denied under the same type of claim (improper maintenance). You might need an attorney if they decide your records aren't good enough. I hope it works out.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear that. When I purchased my 2019 they told me if service is not done by Honda certified shop and Honda parts Honda will not cover any damage. So we bought extended warranty and have the car serviced at dealership every 4 months or 4000 miles. I know it sucks but they are all doing that. It is additional income for dealership. I always have changed my own oil for last 50 years but no more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't give up. Keep on them. When I bought my 2019 Pilot I asked the person selling the warranty if I would have coverage if my husband did the oil changes. She said just save the receipts in case there were ever any questions. I hope they play fair with you. I'd be very upset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There was another post for a 2016 Honda Pilot that had a failed engine at 116,000 miles. He had flashing check engine light. Dealer found metal int he oil pan is quoting $16,000 for a new engine! I hope this isn't a trend. Honda's have been rock solid as far as the short blocks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts