Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
That is just it. I had no issues with the car. I had a message that popped up that there was a transmission problem noted. The thing is that it went off right away and never came on again until a few weeks later. I tried to get it checked out but the first dealer, not a Honda dealer, thought it was a sensor issue and reset it or something like that. Later it came on again so I took it to Honda and I am not sure what code came on but they gave me the news that it was a big issue. It was not over heating so the extended warranty that was put in place for that issue did not help my issue. My car had just 63,000 miles on it but past the warranty. So Honda basically said I was stuck. I still feel Honda knew there were transmission issues with the 2016 and instead of any recall, the consumer is getting stuck with a huge bill.
It would be helpful to know what codes were set when the transmission problem message appeared. I believe that you saw the "Transmission System Problem" indicator. When I had a similar issue, this flashing indicator took over the speedometer screen, and an alarm sounded. Definitely got my attention.

The service garage where you first brought the car should have read the trouble codes set in the computer, and there would certainly be a code set by this issue. Their service ticket should show odometer miles, and the trouble code. If not, try to contact them about this. They did you no favors by resetting the code and saying it was not important.

In my case, this trouble alert happened to me at 58,800 miles. Code P0741 was set which indicates a slipping torque converter lockup clutch. The Honda dealer changed out the fluid and said it was fixed. A few days later, the alert repeated, and the dealer then replaced the torque converter under warranty. Interestingly, at first the dealer was going to replace the transmission, but then the Honda Tech Line called them back and said only the torque converter was required.

I don't know if your issue is the same, but I suspect it is. Perhaps you can document your initial visit to the non-Honda service shop and prove the presence of a P0741 code prior to 60k miles. Perhaps an appeal to Honda for consideration, maybe with some legal help, could result in them sharing costs.

The whole extended warranty thing confuses me. Powertrain coverage is the whole point of an extended warranty. Why didn't this cover your transmission?

You may need a lawyer to help you with this.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It is interesting that you mention a TSB because I have been in touch, several times, with Honda service reps and no one has ever mentioned that to me.
It also doesn't come up on the car sites that I have been to.
Can you document this?
If the TSB was never performed when you had it in, I'd say you have a case.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
60 Posts
I have recently had to pay $6500 to get a replacement kit installed in the transmission, I only had 63,000 miles on it.
the reason given to me was that the transmission fluid was not flushed at 30,000 miles. I bought my car used and had no idea this was needed. I have never heard of such a thing. Furthermore, I have gone through the owners manual and it says nothing in there about doing that. I am currently and have been for a few months, trying to get Honda to take some responsibility for this. They are very un cooperative. This is my 3rd Honda and have always loved them because they never have problems and run forever.
Has anyone had this happen to them and any suggestions to go through to Honda they need to help me with this.
I had to fix it because it was no good if it had transmission problems but this is outrageous .
The owners manual does specify a 30,000 mile service interval for tranny fluid. You drain 3 qts. It is a $75 service.

You did not say what year your Pilot is, but there is an issue with some 3rd gen Pilots developing a coolant leak between their radiator and the tranny cooler. That will destroy a transmission in very short order. $6500 seems high for a tranny rebuild. Did you get a new radiator too?

There is no reason you should have needed a new tranny though at 60k. If you did not get a radiator installed, my guess is that the prior owner had towed heavy loads/boat etc and that is why he sold it.

I actually do the 3qt drain on my Honda's every 15k. It is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The extended warranty doesn't cover? Why? If Honda care doesn't cover this type of repair, what's the point of purchasing the warranty?
When "extended warranty" was mentioned in this reply, I believe it is referring to a Honda good will extended warranty for just one specific problem. In this case there was a known problem within the transmission so Honda provided extra coverage and repairs on that one problem. This is NOT coverage under the Honda Care Extended Warranty that is purchased. That may have actually covered the repair though if the owner had it.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
The owners manual does specify a 30,000 mile service interval for tranny fluid.
Where in the owner's manual for a 2016 Pilot does it specify a 30,000 mile service interval for the transmission fluid?

·
Registered
80 Posts
When "extended warranty" was mentioned in this reply, I believe it is referring to a Honda good will extended warranty for just one specific problem. In this case there was a known problem within the transmission so Honda provided extra coverage and repairs on that one problem. This is NOT coverage under the Honda Care Extended Warranty that is purchased. That may have actually covered the repair though if the owner had it.
This makes more sense. Otherwise, I really don't have faith in Honda if they are not honoring paid extended warranty.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
This makes more sense. Otherwise, I really don't have faith in Honda if they are not honoring paid extended warranty.
All I can say to anyone who has a 6-peed 3rd Gen Pilot..., Do Not Ignore The Erratic RPM Gauge Of Death!
If you have an active VCM, never stop looking for this symptom.

Reactions: masama

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The extended warranty doesn't cover? Why? If Honda care doesn't cover this type of repair, what's the point of purchasing the warranty?
I don't think the extended warranty was at any cost to the consumer. It was because Honda new there was the over heating issue and automatically increased it to 10 years. They said it didn't cover my issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't think the extended warranty was at any cost to the consumer. It was because Honda new there was the over heating issue and automatically increased it to 10 years. They said it didn't cover my issue.
I understand now... My misunderstanding. I thought you were talking about Honda Care.

·
Registered
773 Posts
All I can say to anyone who has a 6-peed 3rd Gen Pilot..., Do Not Ignore The Erratic RPM Gauge Of Death!
If you have an active VCM, never stop looking for this symptom.
These are the same symptoms shown by my 2018 tach before a new torque converter was installed under warranty. The clutch slipped about 200 rpm at 65mph cruise. This also triggered the Transmission System Problem warning alarm. With a new torque converter, no slipping is evident.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Me too!
Just be mindful to maintain the coolant and that both cooling fans are working, with and without the A/C on.
Thanks for the reminder, Grease. Do you just pop the hood open while the car is idling to make sure the efan will come on after a while?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, Grease. Do you just pop the hood open while the car is idling to make sure the efan will come on after a while?
The cooling fans can be turned on two ways. By the AC or by the temp sensor.
When the engine is cold, turn AC on. Check to see if both fans turn on.
When the engine is warmed up (after a drive), turn AC off. Let idle and see if both cooling fans turn on. If one or more fans do not, with the vehicle off, I would disconect my S-VCM at the sensor, conecting the OE harness directly to the sensor and trouble shoot my problem. It could be a bad fan, fuse or relay. After that is determined and fixed, clip my S-VCM back to the sensor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The cooling fans can be turned on two ways. By the AC or by the temp sensor.
When the engine is cold, turn AC on. Check to see if both fans turn on.
When the engine is warmed up (after a drive), turn AC off. Let idle and see if both cooling fans turn on. If one or more fans do not, with the vehicle off, I would disconect my S-VCM at the sensor, conecting the OE harness directly to the sensor and trouble shoot my problem. It could be a bad fan, fuse or relay. After that is determined and fixed, clip my S-VCM back to the sensor.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will perform a test this weekend to get familiar with the process even I only have 1000 miles on my car. Do you periodically test the efan just in case?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will perform a test this weekend to get familiar with the process even I only have 1000 miles on my car. Do you periodically test the efan just in case?
Yes, when changing oil, adding windshield washer fluid or blinker fluid. ;)

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
60 Posts
Where in the owner's manual for a 2016 Pilot does it specify a 30,000 mile service interval for the transmission fluid?
Page 144, maintenance minder code 3. Done at the same time the differential must be serviced.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
60 Posts
21 - 40 of 46 Posts