Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently had to pay $6500 to get a replacement kit installed in the transmission, I only had 63,000 miles on it.
the reason given to me was that the transmission fluid was not flushed at 30,000 miles. I bought my car used and had no idea this was needed. I have never heard of such a thing. Furthermore, I have gone through the owners manual and it says nothing in there about doing that. I am currently and have been for a few months, trying to get Honda to take some responsibility for this. They are very un cooperative. This is my 3rd Honda and have always loved them because they never have problems and run forever.
Has anyone had this happen to them and any suggestions to go through to Honda they need to help me with this.
I had to fix it because it was no good if it had transmission problems but this is outrageous .

·
Registered
445 Posts
Honda replaced the faulty transmission in my '16 Touring model with around 35,000 miles on it. Warranty paid for it, but I did ask the service manager later what it would have cost if I had paid for it out of pocket. It's been long enough ago, that I can't be certain, but if I remember correctly he said it would have been around $3,100. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is right, $6,500 for some kind of replacement "kit" seems a bit out of line. What kind of problems were you having with the tranny to warrant this kit & what did the kit consist of?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,350 Posts
There was a TSB issued for this fluid service. Honda can't make owners bring it in.
I just had a similar situation with an elderly family member who failed to get a TSB done on a GMC power steering system. I can't blame GM.
I'm not trying to shift the blame to you, but for everyone reading this, when buying a used vehicle, run the VIN to see if there are any recalls or TSBs that need to be performed.
$6,500 does seem excessive.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,101 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

I'm sorry that you have had this issue. If you have not done so already, check out the link below for the Honda Owners site. There you can enter the VIN# of the vehicle and see any and all service records Honda has for the vehicle as well as any outstanding TSBs the vehicle may have.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honda replaced the faulty transmission in my '16 Touring model with around 35,000 miles on it. Warranty paid for it, but I did ask the service manager later what it would have cost if I had paid for it out of pocket. It's been long enough ago, that I can't be certain, but if I remember correctly he said it would have been around $3,100. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is right, $6,500 for some kind of replacement "kit" seems a bit out of line. What kind of problems were you having with the tranny to warrant this kit & what did the kit consist of?
I will check my paperwork and get back to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was a TSB issued for this fluid service. Honda can't make owners bring it in.
I just had a similar situation with an elderly family member who failed to get a TSB done on a GMC power steering system. I can't blame GM.
I'm not trying to shift the blame to you, but for everyone reading this, when buying a used vehicle, run the VIN to see if there are any recalls or TSBs that need to be performed.
$6,500 does seem excessive.
It is interesting that you mention a TSB because I have been in touch, several times, with Honda service reps and no one has ever mentioned that to me.
It also doesn't come up on the car sites that I have been to.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,692 Posts
This is the 9 speed ZF transmission?
If anyone was given a price for a warranty replacement I wouldn't pay much attention to that number. It doesn't mean anything. For a dealer to do a major overhaul on a complex transmission, $6,500 sounds about right. Especially if they had to ship it to Honda to have them work on it.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
If anyone was given a price for a warranty replacement I wouldn't pay much attention to that number. It doesn't mean anything. For a dealer to do a major overhaul on a complex transmission, $6,500 sounds about right. Especially if they had to ship it to Honda to have them work on it.
Maybe this is the (my) confusion. If the OP has a 9-speed.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
It's a 2016 Touring so they had the 9 speed right?
When I hear transmission problems and the dealer recommending 3 x drain and fill to the OP, that's a 6-speed problem. I am assuming early model 3rd Gen Elites came with 9-speeds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It came from Honda as a kit that was sealed as 1 piece. the way I understood it.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,692 Posts
It came from Honda as a kit that was sealed as 1 piece. the way I understood it.
Oh ok. That price seems about right for a brand new sealed transmission. Rebuilt would cost about $4,000.

Sorry you had to deal with that. Hopefully you can get even partially reimbursed. Be sure to keep up with drain and fills every 30k miles going forward. No transmission should fail after only 60k miles.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,443 Posts
Only Touring and Elite models of the 2016 third generation have had the ZF nine speed boxes whose early days in the Pilot did not make any friends. LX and EX inc EXL had the well known and trusted six speed.

There seems to be some confusion, about what specification Pilot the OP has.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Some confusion with the post information? The Touring and Elite do have the 9 speed as pointed out in another post. All other trims have the 6 speed.

Was it purchased from a Honda dealer?

The 6 speed transmission does in fact call for a fluid exchange (drain and fill) around 30000 miles.

The 9 speed transmission doesn't call for the fluid exchange until around 60000 miles.

Not sure how long ago the poster purchased this used, but perhaps the previous owner just reset the MM when the transmission service due came up?

If in fact it does have the 9 speed transmission, it is perhaps 3000 miles past when the fluid should have been exchanged but I don't see why Honda wouldn't help. Heck, it's only 3000 miles outside of the factory powertrain warranty of 5 years/60000 miles.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Some confusion with the post information? The Touring and Elite do have the 9 speed as pointed out in another post. All other trims have the 6 speed.

Was it purchased from a Honda dealer?

The 6 speed transmission does in fact call for a fluid exchange (drain and fill) around 30000 miles.

The 9 speed transmission doesn't call for the fluid exchange until around 60000 miles.

Not sure how long ago the poster purchased this used, but perhaps the previous owner just reset the MM when the transmission service due came up?

If in fact it does have the 9 speed transmission, it is perhaps 3000 miles past when the fluid should have been exchanged but I don't see why Honda wouldn't help. Heck, it's only 3000 miles outside of the factory powertrain warranty of 5 years/60000 miles.
OP says 6-speed in post #12, it must not be a touring.

Reactions: ls973800

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have recently had to pay $6500 to get a replacement kit installed in the transmission, I only had 63,000 miles on it.
the reason given to me was that the transmission fluid was not flushed at 30,000 miles. I bought my car used and had no idea this was needed. I have never heard of such a thing. Furthermore, I have gone through the owners manual and it says nothing in there about doing that. I am currently and have been for a few months, trying to get Honda to take some responsibility for this. They are very un cooperative. This is my 3rd Honda and have always loved them because they never have problems and run forever.
Has anyone had this happen to them and any suggestions to go through to Honda they need to help me with this.
I had to fix it because it was no good if it had transmission problems but this is outrageous .
What were the symptoms that first indicated transmission problems?
When you had the dealer check out any problems, what transmission diagnostic codes did they read?
Did you purchase with less than 60k miles, and did you have the car checked out for any problems before you hit 60k miles? (possible warranty issue?)

Nail Grease, you know where I'm going with this line of questions! (VCM and torque converter?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What were the symptoms that first indicated transmission problems?
When you had the dealer check out any problems, what transmission diagnostic codes did they read?
Did you purchase with less than 60k miles, and did you have the car checked out for any problems before you hit 60k miles? (possible warranty issue?)

Nail Grease, you know where I'm going with this line of questions! (VCM and torque converter?)
That is just it. I had no issues with the car. I had a message that popped up that there was a transmission problem noted. The thing is that it went off right away and never came on again until a few weeks later. I tried to get it checked out but the first dealer, not a Honda dealer, thought it was a sensor issue and reset it or something like that. Later it came on again so I took it to Honda and I am not sure what code came on but they gave me the news that it was a big issue. It was not over heating so the extended warranty that was put in place for that issue did not help my issue. My car had just 63,000 miles on it but past the warranty. So Honda basically said I was stuck. I still feel Honda knew there were transmission issues with the 2016 and instead of any recall, the consumer is getting stuck with a huge bill.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is just it. I had no issues with the car. I had a message that popped up that there was a transmission problem noted. The thing is that it went off right away and never came on again until a few weeks later. I tried to get it checked out but the first dealer, not a Honda dealer, thought it was a sensor issue and reset it or something like that. Later it came on again so I took it to Honda and I am not sure what code came on but they gave me the news that it was a big issue. It was not over heating so the extended warranty that was put in place for that issue did not help my issue. My car had just 63,000 miles on it but past the warranty. So Honda basically said I was stuck. I still feel Honda knew there were transmission issues with the 2016 and instead of any recall, the consumer is getting stuck with a huge bill.
The extended warranty doesn't cover? Why? If Honda care doesn't cover this type of repair, what's the point of purchasing the warranty?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts