Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have this sound, I don’t know how to describe, but it noticeable when I use the gas lightly. Mostly when I’m cruising even at interstate speeds, I’ll let go of the gas and it stops. When I let go of the gas and reapply the gas gently, I get this noise- even the eco halo goes away. I’m new to these threads, so any help is great. I took it to the dealer and they have no idea what I’m talking about I even showed them the video.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ok, so I have this sound, I don’t know how to describe, but it noticeable when I use the gas lightly. Mostly when I’m cruising even at interstate speeds, I’ll let go of the gas and it stops. When I let go of the gas and reapply the gas gently, I get this noise- even the eco halo goes away. I’m new to these threads, so any help is great. I took it to the dealer and they have no idea what I’m talking about I even showed them the video.
Sounds like it's in the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, even with the windows down it’s more loud. It comes from the front of the car. The green eco light turns grey and when the sound goes away it turns green again.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Nope, even with the windows down it’s more loud. It comes from the front of the car. The green eco light turns grey and when the sound goes away it turns green again.
Sounds like it's VCM related. Do you have a VCM disabler installed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t have any vcm disabler installed, I have 16 days of my warranty left, I swear it’s like they are killing time. Every time I go, they make an excuse- “Roads are too wet for a tech to ride along”, “videos aren’t good enough”, after they requested a video, “Our department is on lunch break”, I went in at 1130 and again at 130. Frustrating.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What state are you in ?
Send a certified letter of complaint to the Attorney General Consumer Affairs department immediately.
Document everything to prove you contacted dealer before warranty expiration date.... etc.

Open a complaint on the BBB site if their company is listed on there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can you recreate this sound at will or is it intermittent? Did this start after a repair or service was performed? Can you post another video showing the ECO halo when this occurs? As other have said, it does sound like an engine mount/VCM symptom. However, your description sounds like the noise is associated with VCM disabling which is not typical for VCM noise complaints. Also hard to tell from the video but almost sounds like it could be a loose heat shield or something else rattling. Open the hood and make sure the plastic cover over the radiator is secure.
Don’t be too concerned about 16 day deadline. If you had the dealer document the problem then you should be good for warranty coverage (I’m assuming they gave you paperwork saying they could not duplicate your complaint). The dealer has no incentive to kill time to make sure your warranty expires. They do have incentives to please their customers.
Don’t escalate the issue yet. It’s best to work it out with your local dealer if possible. Call the dealership and ask to speak to the service manager. Be polite and courteous but assertive and explain your situation. Ask for an appointment for him or his best tech to do a ride along with you so you can demonstrate the problem. If they don’t cooperate, go to another dealer or call Honda customer service and file a complaint.
Honda, like other manufacturers, is very survey driven to receive customer feedback. At least I know every time I have a vehicle serviced at my dealer I get an email survey within a week. Dealers want good ratings from their customers as Honda encourages good ratings. With the current covid situation, you may have hit the service department on a bad day/week.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The dealer has no incentive to kill time to make sure your warranty expires. They do have incentives to please their customers.
:ROFLMAO::LOL:

If that was true, "the warranty" would be "LIFETIME", and "FREE" of charges.

Read a few more posts/topic on these forums, and you will see how many people take their vehicle in for issues, and the first thing the dealer commented on is, "the warranty has expired, so this will cost $$$$****"

I work in a courthouse, with real world cases.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The dealer has no incentive to kill time to make sure your warranty expires. They do have incentives to please their customers.
Dealerships have one thing in mind, to give you as little as they can so they can make as much money as they can. If you got a waranty-less vehicle, the numbers are in their favor that you will trade so your problems go away. The more that's wrong with your trade, the more leverage they have. They would rather have you trade than repair.
It's not surprising they they stonewalled the OP on the first go around. They are banking on that busy people will let it go so long as the vehicle is running.

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
78 Posts
:ROFLMAO::LOL:

If that was true, "the warranty" would be "LIFETIME", and "FREE" of charges.

Read a few more posts/topic on these forums, and you will see how many people take their vehicle in for issues, and the first thing the dealer commented on is, "the warranty has expired, so this will cost $$$$****"

I work in a courthouse, with real world cases.
Dealerships have one thing in mind, to give you as little as they can so they can make as much money as they can. If you got a waranty-less vehicle, the numbers are in their favor that you will trade so your problems go away. The more that's wrong with your trade, the more leverage they have. They would rather have you trade than repair.
It's not surprising they they stonewalled the OP on the first go around. They are banking on that busy people will let it go so long as the vehicle is running.
Of course the dealer’s service department would tell a customer when a vehicle‘s repair is not covered by warranty. That’s the very first thing the service writer should tell the customer. But that’s not OP‘s situation anyway.
The OP has a potential defect presented to the dealer before the warranty expired. You really believe a dealer would stonewall a customer for the purpose of delayIng a defect diagnosis until the warranty expires? That really isn’t logical. If the warranty expires there is no guarantee the dealer would get the repair job. The customer could go to an independent shop. In fact, if the customer wasn’t pleased it’s most likely they would not have the dealer repair the vehicle. They surely would not trade and purchase another vehicle from that dealer or most likely from Honda after getting hosed on a warranty repair.
OP - Make sure you have documented the problem with the dealer, be nice, talk to the service manager and if that doesn’t work try another dealer or call Honda customer service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everybody for your input, the tech said that changing the trans fluid 3 times and updating the system would make the vibration go away. They charged me $200, they paid the difference ($300) since that wasn’t covered under warranty..shocker. Well as soon as I drove off the lot, guess what? vibration. I’m about to take it to an independent mechanic.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Thank you everybody for your input, the tech said that changing the trans fluid 3 times and updating the system would make the vibration go away. They charged me $200, they paid the difference ($300) since that wasn’t covered under warranty..shocker. Well as soon as I drove off the lot, guess what? vibration. I’m about to take it to an independent mechanic.
After I re-read the thread.., I think you may have an engine mount issue.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think there is a service bulletin for this service to be performed free of charge. If you are still under warranty and they thought the vibration was from this, you should not have been charged at all.

Check into this, there may even be a recent update to it?

TSB 17-014. (Transmission oil flushed / changed 3x and software updated). Covered by American Honda at No Charge.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think there is a service bulletin for this service to be performed free of charge. If you are still under warranty and they thought the vibration was from this, you should not have been charged at all.

Check into this, there may even be a recent update to it?

TSB 17-014. (Transmission oil flushed / changed 3x and software updated). Covered by American Honda at No Charge.
I agree, OP should not have been charged.
I think it's a engine mount issue. It's often mis-diagnosed as a transmission problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess what, well we decided to go down to Charlotte and it’s about an hour and a half. We was going about 74 MPH and all the sudden I heard a thud like I hit something and the “Emissions System Problem” message came on. The car won’t shift into a higher gear and it sounds horrible. I’m still under warranty but nobody is open. Here’s a video. Have a good Sunday hopefully our luck will turn.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The thud was likely the engine being disengaged from the transmission. It likely went into limp mode. This usually occurs when a transmission overheats.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Since you are so close to the warranty expiring. I'm concerned that Honda will just try to get you past their finish line. Fight for a new transmission or make them guarantee this one for as long as you own it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Have them check your engine mounts for the vibration. These were needing replacing on many 2016s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put in a fuel injector cleaner and it’s literally “day and night”, it’s fine now still a little hesitant, but almost normal. The code at auto zone is P2652
P0138

1 - 20 of 29 Posts