Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to get new keys programmed/lock cylinder because my car got stolen and the theif still has the key. There is absolutely NO damage to the vehicle to the average eye except looks like they clipped a curb there is a scratch on rim and chunk out of the tire. Inside is CLEAN as a whistle. While i was there the service guy pointed out my car was rocking slightly back and forth when i switch to drive or park or reverse. It rocks front to back a couple times then stops. He says it could just need a transmission service... i bought extended warranty... what do you guys think? It’s honestly SO SUBTLE i wouldn’t have noticed it if he didn’t point it out

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Honestly, no, not for that reason. But I am a bit confused since our foot is on the brake when we shift gears.
What is your milage and has your transmission fluid and filter ever been replaced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, no, not for that reason. But I am a bit confused since our foot is on the brake when we shift gears.
What is your milage and has your transmission fluid and filter ever been replaced?
yes you’re right the foot is supposed to be on the break... he was the one in the drivers seat when he was showing me so idk what kind of funny business he could be pulling. It was before they even took it back in the shop or anything tho... it has 26k miles and i don’t think it’s ever been serviced or replaced.He told me usually at 30k it needs service. He told me to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then come back. But my thing is it’s already there and it’s a good time to get my car looked at because I’m working from home due to virus and don’t go anywhere anyways. I have the extended warranty. Idk i guess i will have to look at it myself as well. It’s honestly SO subtle i would have thought it was just the car doing what it’s supposed to do...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to mention i bought this car Saturday, it got stolen Tuesday. And I got it back Thursday. Anyway im still gonna be pissed even if it does need tranny service i mean for Christ sake y’all sold me a car that immediately needed transmission service?!?! Come on....

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Not to mention i bought this car Saturday, it got stolen Tuesday. And I got it back Thursday. Anyway im still gonna be pissed even if it does need tranny service i mean for Christ sake y’all sold me a car that immediately needed transmission service?!?! Come on....
I will say that his reason for your Pilot needing a transmission service is hog wash and I would call him out on it. But I would definitely want to know the maintanance history of the vehicle. The 6-speed transmissions in these 3rd Gens are not exactly trouble free. There was a service buletin for your transmission and I would simply ask if it was performed. They were to drain and fill it 3 times to remove all the old fluid. This may have been done already when the previous owner had it.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Mine is the 9 speed... does that make a difference?
Yes, except for his diagnosis being Hog Wash.
The transmission service for your vehicle will be between $350-$500. If it needs it, you might ask them to pay for it since you just drove off their lot. Was it certified pre-owned?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately it was not. But i mean really i just drove it off the lot a week ago... shouldn’t need a transmission service that’s BS. Well im not sure what to do. They want to charge me for a diagnostic fee.... i also want my 15 month old to be safe in the vehicle. I feel like if i tell them to look at it they will tell me i need transmission service and it won’t fix it then im back to square one. Ughh i realy wish i went to trade school to be a mechanic sometimes!

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Unfortunately it was not. But i mean really i just drove it off the lot a week ago... shouldn’t need a transmission service that’s BS. Well im not sure what to do. They want to charge me for a diagnostic fee.... i also want my 15 month old to be safe in the vehicle. I feel like if i tell them to look at it they will tell me i need transmission service and it won’t fix it then im back to square one. Ughh i realy wish i went to trade school to be a mechanic sometimes!
I believe you have so many days to return it, if you don't want the vehicle. Have your insurance pay for the damages. This could be an option. Especially if they are already going to hit you with a big bill.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My 2020 Touring rocks too when I put it in park. I think it’s just how the transmission works. It’s really weird going from another car which doesn’t rock as much, to a Pilot which rocks a lot. I guess if you press the brake a little harder when you put it in park, it might help but I’m not entirely soo sure. Also, damn I didn’t know even thieves like Pilots too lol.

·
Registered
846 Posts
VERY SELDOM are there laws allowing you to return a vehicle if you don't want the vehicle. Some dealers may offer their own 3 day 1000 mile return policy or something similar, but not usually a state law or regulation.

The 9 speed transmission doesn't call for a transmission service per the Maintenance Minder until about 60000 miles unlike the 6 speed transmission which is around 30000 miles. I would find a different Honda dealer to do any warranty work on this car!

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
VERY SELDOM are there laws allowing you to return a vehicle if you don't want the vehicle. Some dealers may offer their own 3 day 1000 mile return policy or something similar, but not usually a state law or regulation.

The 9 speed transmission doesn't call for a transmission service per the Maintenance Minder until about 60000 miles unlike the 6 speed transmission which is around 30000 miles. I would find a different Honda dealer to do any warranty work on this car!
The vehicle is 4 years old, is there a recommendation on doing the transmission service due to age/time.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Not that I ever recall seeing in the owner's manual. Just the maintenance minder miles that have been reported on here by owner's. I think brake fluid is one of the few fluids which calls for a time limit, 3 years?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Not that I ever recall seeing in the owner's manual. Just the maintenance minder miles that have been reported on here by owner's. I think brake fluid is one of the few fluids which calls for a time limit, 3 years?
We know motor oil is once per year. It can break down. IMO, I would think you would want to keep a non synthetic fluid like DW-1 refreshed once per year or no more than 2 years. There are some manufacturers claiming to have a lifetime ATF Fluid. These are full syn, but even these must eventually be replaced. The 9 speed I assume uses full syn.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I recommend seeing if you can test drive a used Pilot with the same transmission. See if it does the same thing. I know some cars change gears a little more..."dramatically" than others. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Both the 9-speed and 6-speed transmission call for ~60,000 mile fluid changes. Since it is not really DIY-able to change the 9-speed transmission fluid (I know you CAN...but it's complicated) either pay to have it done for your own reassurance or just continue driving it the way it is. Ask friends or family to sit in the car and try changing the gears and see what they say.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts