Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 Pilot, Touring Trim, 9 speed auto trans - Yesterday my wife was pulling into a store's parking spot with her foot on the brake slowing down when all of a sudden the engine increased RPM's and shot forward. She had her foot firmly on the brake pedal applying as much pressure as she could, but she could not slow down the vehicle. The car raced over a parking barrier and dropped sideways over 4 feet to the parking area below. The driver's side front air curtain deployed which prevented her from striking the drivers window with her head. However when the air curtain deployed the engine did not turn itself off even though the Pilot was laying on its side. I searched the internet and there have been numerous instances of the Honda Pilot experiencing this problem with the common denominator being the car was moving slowly and the driver had applied light pressure to the brake pedal. The car is a total loss which is a shame because this was the best Honda we have ever owned. I guess its back to the CR-V now. Has anyone else experienced this problem and is Honda Motors aware of this as I think they are? luckily no one has been killed by this event but its just a matter of time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2016 Pilot, Touring Trim, 9 speed auto trans - Yesterday my wife was pulling into a store's parking spot with her foot on the brake slowing down when all of a sudden the engine increased RPM's and shot forward. She had her foot firmly on the brake pedal applying as much pressure as she could, but she could not slow down the vehicle. The car raced over a parking barrier and dropped sideways over 4 feet to the parking area below. The driver's side front air curtain deployed which prevented her from striking the drivers window with her head. However when the air curtain deployed the engine did not turn itself off even though the Pilot was laying on its side. I searched the internet and there have been numerous instances of the Honda Pilot experiencing this problem with the common denominator being the car was moving slowly and the driver had applied light pressure to the brake pedal. The car is a total loss which is a shame because this was the best Honda we have ever owned. I guess its back to the CR-V now. Has anyone else experienced this problem and is Honda Motors aware of this as I think they are? luckily no one has been killed by this event but its just a matter of time.
Very scary, hope your wife is ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Class action lawsuit against Honda, and let's make some cash! Or at least get them to buy back all Pilots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for thinking of my wife. She is fine, just some bruises that are fading. The Pilot can be replaced, she can't. Still waiting for the insurance adjuster to call but the auto body shop says its a total write off. The entire drivers side, front and rear sections need to be replaced, extensive damage to the under-carriage plus the whole interior roof, sun roof and everything attached to the drivers side of the car. Have contacted Honda American Motor Corp, but they haven't responded. Actually don't expect them to. Also contacted the NHSTA and they responded back today. They've asked more questions and seem interested. We'll see. They just need more complaints and maybe they can shine a spotlight on Honda to get some quality control back into their product line and maybe get some recalls going.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Does this Pilot have an event recorder and, if so, can the data be read out to confirm that the driver had "her foot firmly on the brake pedal" and that the "all of a sudden the engine increased RPM's".
The account of the accident would suggest that the brake override (of the throttle) was inoperative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts