Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,109 Posts
I guess it's possible. My worry is if someone bought the cheap gap tool. If you pry on the inner thin wire electrode, you will destroy a $13 spark plug. It requires one of these...
Agreed, but I was only speaking of verifying the gap. A good precision set of feeler gauges is both inexpensive and easy to use to check the gap without changing it, if you don't go jamming the thing in the gap. Gentle and easy is the way to go.

Adjusting the gap is a whole different story, especially with NGK Laser Iridiums plugs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just wanted to add, since its been a while to this post.

Most Iridium Spark plugs and now the new Ruthenium ones dont require adjusting the gap as they are to come pre-gapped. If you dont have the tool Just convert it to mm as a next best bet. Especially if you are sticking with NGK, they dont even recommend you to adjust more than .008 in either direction.

Thanks OP for this write up it really helped especially with that stupid fan shield. I was able to get it all done with a 5in wobble extension.

Just for reference I did purchase the Ruthenium spark plugs. The difference is night and day with them. I do the remote start sometimes in the garage to get the car warmed up and with the Laser Iridiums I always (even when it was new) get that smell of unburnt fuel from the exhaust. Since I switched to the Rutheniums they really do have a more complete or stronger spark than the Laser IR. I never get that unburnt fuel smell in the exhaust, the car is definitely running smoother, it idles better and pick up has increased not significantly but you can tell the response is definitely quicker than ever. These spark plugs are going to be my choice moving forward.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,377 Posts
Just wanted to add, since its been a while to this post.

Most Iridium Spark plugs and now the new Ruthenium ones dont require adjusting the gap as they are to come pre-gapped. If you dont have the tool Just convert it to mm as a next best bet. Especially if you are sticking with NGK, they dont even recommend you to adjust more than .008 in either direction.

Thanks OP for this write up it really helped especially with that stupid fan shield. I was able to get it all done with a 5in wobble extension.

Just for reference I did purchase the Ruthenium spark plugs. The difference is night and day with them. I do the remote start sometimes in the garage to get the car warmed up and with the Laser Iridiums I always (even when it was new) get that smell of unburnt fuel from the exhaust. Since I switched to the Rutheniums they really do have a more complete or stronger spark than the Laser IR. I never get that unburnt fuel smell in the exhaust, the car is definitely running smoother, it idles better and pick up has increased not significantly but you can tell the response is definitely quicker than ever. These spark plugs are going to be my choice moving forward.
Now that NGK has both Iridium and Ruthenium available now for several of my vehicles (Honda, Hyundai, Nissan), I dunno which is best to buy. My 5.6 V8 Nissan has performed very well with Ruthenium HX.

Reactions: aaztc3

·
Registered
35 Posts
Now that NGK has both Iridium and Ruthenium available now for several of my vehicles (Honda, Hyundai, Nissan), I dunno which is best to buy. My 5.6 V8 Nissan has performed very well with Ruthenium HX.
You know I tried both and I really like the difference in Ruthenium. I really felt how quick my engine responds to throttle now mind you, Im at 107k mi. and the idle is much smoother too, seems better than it was when it was new. Plus no unburnt fuel smell then to add the whip cream on top, ITS CHEAPER than the lasers. paid $7+/SP for Ruthenium vs $12+/SP at Rock Auto. Its a win win. These are made to go 100k.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,377 Posts
I also went with Ruthenium and did these last night, besides the rears being a pain to access, was overall very easy to do. Definitely not worth paying a dealer/shop hundreds.
I agree, it's ridiculous what a dealership charges to replace spark plugs. I've seen the cost to be 5 to 7 times the price of buying spark plugs from RockAuto. Head over to Harbor Freight and buy a ratchet set, torque wrench, some extensions, a spark plug socket and still have lots of cash left over.

Reactions: Smarkle3
21 - 26 of 26 Posts