Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched all over and I could not find any spark plug replacement threads for my 2016 Honda Pilot. I found a few on the older generations but none for my generation.
The good news is that is almost identical to previous generations with a few differences.
1) I used same tools as every other video I have seen (3/8 spark plug socket, three 3 inch extension but, you can probably do it with less or any other combination that may work or have available to you.
2) The electrical connections to the coils are inside a rubber cover but, it works the same way as before. You pinch the top of the connector and then pull up to remove it. However, you just go by feel since you cannot see it.
3) To remove the middle coil/plug I had to remove a black metal cover protecting the fan. The good thing about it is...it is held with two screws, easy to remove, and then slides to the right side. After I removed this cover, I had enough room to remove the coil/plug.
4) The set up of three plugs in the back are identical to the front with the only difference is you will not be able to see them. You can use a mirror but, once you replaced the front plugs, you will know what need to do by feel.
5) I got my NGK plugs from RockAuto for a fraction of the cost from a stealership but you can get them from whatever your favorite suppliers is. I do have 99,351 miles on my 16 Touring Pilot.
The job is not that difficult to do so if you are on the fence...do it. I will try to post some pictures and hopefully it will make sense.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
While the plugs were out, did you check/adjust the valve clearance?
I don't think he pulled the valve covers off, did he?
I still haven't done my 08- 192K miles. Plan to = one day.

* Those 'old' plugs were fine. sure a little mark on the insulator. Still had 100K in them LOL

Good job on the write up OP

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
24 Posts
Planning to wait until you reach 105,000 miles?
You shouldn't really need to inspect them unless they're noisy. Wouldn't hurt I guess, but to me it doesn't make a ton of sense to pull the valve covers and risk making a nice new leak just to check them. If you're going through that trouble might as well have them adjusted at the same time.

I have a 2012 Accord and had the valves done last month. At 163k miles, all intake valves were very lose and the exhaust on both heads were on the tight side. I had it done because they were extremely loud.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
You shouldn't really need to inspect them unless they're noisy. Wouldn't hurt I guess, but to me it doesn't make a ton of sense to pull the valve covers and risk making a nice new leak just to check them.
How will a "nice new leak" be created if you replace the valve cover gaskets before reinstalling the valve covers?

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
24 Posts
How will a "nice new leak" be created if you replace the valve cover gaskets before reinstalling the valve covers?
It's just one of those things where you're creating an opportunity for a problem. Didn't necessarily mean you're guaranteed to end up with a leak, it's just a possibility if you don't get the gasket set perfectly or don't get a bolt torqued back correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts