Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Honda Pilot LX that is having a no crank no start issue. Here’s the backstory, on labor day weekend the car was running perfectly fine. I told my uncle to bring something to me and we were out of town. Once he is about to turn onto the road he almost missed the turn but as that happened, he turned the car going 35 like he was a professional driver. Next thing you know the car shuts off and that was it. I told them that the alternator went bad because the car wouldn’t start and it basically killed the battery. We changed out the alternator and we tried to start the car again and it wouldn’t start. We thought it might be the starter that went bad as well and nope it wasnt that at all. We got a new battery as well. Car still didn’t want to start and it doesn’t crank at all either, we tested the starter and it works. So what I did with a buddy of mine, we jumpstarted the starter and tried to start the car that way and still nothing. What can be the issue? My buddy is thinking that the engine most likely seized up whenever my uncle turned the car all of a sudden going approx 35 mph. Also the car has 118k miles. We also checked the fuzes and every one looks okay

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,193 Posts
Does the instrument panel light up? Is there any warning messages?
I’d OBD II scan for codes. Including scanning the SRS system.

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,193 Posts
I scanned it and it was in regards to the fans and radiator
Great!
May I ask what the code was?
It’d be good to know for the record, possibly to help others someday.

Reactions: 2017EX-L

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Not even sure it it is still a thing, but cars used to have an inertia switch. If the car was in an accident or hit a certain way, the switch would kill gasoline to the engine to prevent a fire. You could manually reset the switch if you knew where it was. Certain Fords were know to have this happen I just don't recall the exact models.

Could the Honda have a similar switch or safety device which was tripped from the rapid and excessive force caused by the turn?????

Some cars also have a large fuse under the hood which will blow to prevent damage to the electrical system if jumper cables are reversed polarity when trying to jump a battery. I think it is called the fusible link?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not even sure it it is still a thing, but cars used to have an inertia switch. If the car was in an accident or hit a certain way, the switch would kill gasoline to the engine to prevent a fire. You could manually reset the switch if you knew where it was. Certain Fords were know to have this happen I just don't recall the exact models.

Could the Honda have a similar switch or safety device which was tripped from the rapid and excessive force caused by the turn?????

Some cars also have a large fuse under the hood which will blow to prevent damage to the electrical system if jumper cables are reversed polarity when trying to jump a battery. I think it is called the fusible link?
Okay I will check that out in the afternoon today!! I got Code U0100 where it mentions that it lost connection with the ECM/PCM and it also stated that the car will not start

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Total guessing here, but the hard turn would shift the engine and wiring harnesses, where an already poor buss, power or ground connection was finally compromised. I'd do some careful visual inspection of wiring harnesses around and leading to the PCM for visible rodent or abrasion damage, green crusties, etc. And of course verify the heavy cables coming off the battery are in good condition and those grounds points to the body and engine are clean and tight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Total guessing here, but the hard turn would shift the engine and wiring harnesses, where an already poor buss, power or ground connection was finally compromised. I'd do some careful visual inspection of wiring harnesses around and leading to the PCM for visible rodent or abrasion damage, green crusties, etc. And of course verify the heavy cables coming off the battery are in good condition and those grounds points to the body and engine are clean and tight.
Okay thank you I will check that out!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts