Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Piloteers Community, new member here today.
My wife's 2016 Pilot has a failed AC compressor and repair cost is $2400 plus tax.
We traded her 2006 Pilot on this vehicle in Feb, 2016, which means we are now 8 months out of warranty with only 26,000 miles...ouch!
I have called Honda Customer Care and asked for a goodwill financial consideration due to being a long time Honda customer and the overall mileage.
My case number has been assigned to a case manager and they will call me back in couple days with an answer.
Does anyone have any experience similar to mine with Honda?
What are the odds they will cover this major component failure so soon in the vehicle's life?
If the case manager declines any coverage, what is my next move with Honda?
Thanks for your feedback!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
It is highly unusual to see a A/C compressor fail with such low miles.1st thing I would check is the A/C Relay fuse to see if it’s bad. This is a common issue with Honda’s. It will cause the compressor not to turn on or cycle. It’s a $6 part. A quick test is to swap the relay fuse with the heated seat relay fuse. Check your owners manual, this fuse is under the hood ( There the same fuse) If the the compressor turns on, that’s you issue.
As far as working with Honda, I would be very surprised if they don’t pay a large portion of the cost, you just need to be persistent and keep working your way up the Honda Food chain. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Piloteers!
Follow up on my AC Compressor failure. Problem confirmed by Dealer $2400 repair, out of warranty by 8 months. I Called Honda Customer service and ask for financial assistance as vehicle only has 26,000 miles. They agreed to pay for 60% of repair. Thanks Honda!

I'm now wondering if getting an extended warranty program with Fidelity, Route 66, Concorde, etc. is a worthwhile option. Anyone have positive experience with extended warranty program?

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine AC Compressor was also found bad (2016 Pilot EXL). Same situation, once the weather was >90 it would not blow cold. Furthermore, it blow 70 while driving, but when you stopped it quickly creeped back up to ambient (90). I stuck a thermometer down one of the air vents to measure. The service tech texted me "we will be replacing the AC System". Thank goodness for my extended warranty.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Glad they are helping you.
It would be nice to know the details of what failed in this compressor.
I'd go to www.car-part.com to pick me up a used one before paying $2400. That's an insane price.
60% of $2400 is still $960.
There is a used one off a 2017 with 29k miles on it in Missouri for $125. Have an independent shop install it or at least get a estimate, if you'd like to explore the chance to save more $.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't know how it is in the Pilot. I have a 2004 CRV which has documented issue with failed compressors and black death. The high price to replace was because they replace EVERYTHING so hopefully you won't need to come back. Once the small metal parts get into system you can't reliably flush them out from condenser and expansion valve. They then work their way out and eventually trash the new compressor again. For the CRV Rock Auto and ebay had "kits" that included everything except factory hard lines. When I did the CRV for 3rd time I did basically a boresnake with industrial paper towels and cleaner. The grey shiny metal bits that came off inside of pipes was scary considering they already got an A/C cleaner sprayed through it prior.

on the CRV I also added a deslugger from Four Seasons along with the kit. many posts regarding hydrolock as big reason for failure. It lets the oil that drained back to compressor get small shots to get out of pistons before running full. Necessary who knows but after replacing the whole system myself it was worth a bit of insurance from my understanding and problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts