Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, I got the dreaded "Emissions System Problem" light, among a host other lights. I took the car into a Honda dealership the next day and both employees I initially spoke with said "unfortunately, it's probably the fuel injectors and it's going to cost about $1800 to repair". After running the diagnostic testing, sure enough, the report came back with misfires in three cylinders and the conclusion was that I needed all six fuel injectors replaced, for $1900! I have approximately 70K miles on my car, so it seemed a bit odd to me that I should need all new fuel injectors. I immediately called American Honda and requested "Goodwill Assistance". I have owned six Honda vehicles, including my 2016 Pilot and I have never had issues like this at 70K miles. (A few months back, I also had the transmission problem with the "judder", and I learned that my transmission fluid was degrading prematurely and I needed new fluid and the computer software updated. Needless to say, I was not surprised at yet another problem with this car.)

Last weekend I had time to do a lot of research on the fuel injector issue, and I cannot believe how many complaints I am finding online. Most frustrating, was when I found various forum posts online that tie this issue to Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 18-025. This TSB, which was released in March 2018, states that the "probable cause" for this issue is due to an issue at the factory during the manufacturing process. My first question is how on earth could Honda not notify customers of this potential problem while so many customers were still under the 3 year/36,000 warranty? Well, when I asked the "Case Manager" that I dealt with at American Honda this exact question, her (very un-empathetic) response was "we are not going to notify the entire country" ... "your fuel injectors would not have been replaced two years ago if there was nothing wrong with them". Really? Maybe there was something wrong with them when I could have easily had it covered under warranty or maybe Honda could have notified customers, if nothing else, for their own safety! I find this issue unbelievable. However, I am not surprised especially after learning that American Honda was fined 70 million dollars in 2015, by the government, for under reporting safety information. Unfortunately, Honda has a ton of negative publicity and seems to have really lost their competitive advantage recently due to their lack of quality and transparency.

After waiting one week for the outcome of my goodwill assistance request, Honda did come through and cover all but $200 of my new fuel injector repair cost. Now, in actuality, its also important to note that the cost of this repair, without extreme markup, is about $1200. So, Honda "paid" for approximately $1000 of my repair. Considering Honda knew about this problem years ago and failed to notify their customers in a timely fashion, I still think Honda should have paid 100% of the repair cost. I strongly urge anyone else this happens to, to demand that American Honda pay a significant portion of the repair bill. Had American Honda not paid for the bulk of my repair, I would have paid for it myself and then sued them in Small Claims Court. I checked court records and in my state, there are a lot of pending and settled cases against American Honda. I may very well go that route next if I have to sink any more money into the transmission system issue. Of course, when I got home and I reviewed the results of my multi point inspection, I am being told that my transmission fluid needs attention again; I just had it changed 10K miles ago?! How can this car possibly need new transmission fluid again after driving only 10K miles. Something is not right.

Needless to say, the 2016 Honda Pilot is a complete disappointment. I am ready to seek the help of a class action lawsuit attorney if these problems persist. I bought a $40K car so that I wouldn't have to buy another car for a good 10 years. Unfortunately, I am going to probably have to dump this car and trade it in before the problems persist. Who knows what will happen as the mileage increases on the car?! I don't even want to think about it. Good luck to everyone else in the same boat. I guess Toyota just gained a new customer as a result of all of this nonsense.

I have also reported problems with this car to:
  • National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
  • Hondaproblems.com
  • Better Business Bureau
I think the only way American Honda may ever be held accountable for such quality issues and a complete lack of transparency is if everyone with issues speaks up!

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't think Honda notifies customers about TSBs because not every customer is affected. If it was a recall that would be different. I think you are probably overreacting. Not saying your feelings aren't valid but Honda did take care of the problem (minus $200). Doubt there will be any problems in the future but of course if you're willing to take that loss then there's no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a condescending response. You "doubt there will be any problems in the future...". All I can do is laugh. Have you done a good amount of research on the 2016 Honda Pilot? Try backing your comments with facts and you may have some credibility.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’m going to venture a guess that most 2016s will wind up having this issue. It should be a recall.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Well I think the question is whether once the 305’s have been replaced with 315’s will they need to be replaced again in the future? Only time will tell. But we all understand your frustration. Good luck to us all.

·
Registered
602 Posts
What a condescending response. You "doubt there will be any problems in the future...". All I can do is laugh. Have you done a good amount of research on the 2016 Honda Pilot? Try backing your comments with facts and you may have some credibility.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
138 Posts
As a potential customer of a 2020, am I reading this correctly that they have a new part number that is supposedly better?

I gotta say I have my heart set on a new Pilot vs the other options but reading these forums really has me scared. I have always been a Honda guy except for one departure to BMW.

What are the best and most reliable 3 row SUVs now?

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Everyone likes to start their own thread about this issue. I understand people get emotional about it.... However, attaching out of date TSB's isnt going to help.

The current TSB (version 4) http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A18-025.PDF
There are rumors this TSB was updated in December by a poster here, but no proof has been found yet.

The MAIN thread for discussion on this topic is here: 2016 Pilot fuel injector issue

·
Registered
602 Posts
So does that mean that 2018 to 2020 is less likely to have a problem?
I'd say "unknown". Because if you look at TSB 19-073 (http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A19-073.PDF) you will see that this covers Pilots up to 2019 (so far) and is a similar TSB, replace fuel injectors to solve CEL codes. That TSB says ALL 2018 Pilots, and on some in 2019 year model are affected.

Note - the 2019 Pilot touring and elite trims use a different part number for the fuel injector: 16010-RLV-306

·
Registered
205 Posts
All, lets not forget about federal emissions warranty! Although it doesn't help solve problematic fuel injectors or fuel rails, it should minimize or prevent any out of pocket expense if/when you need to replace them.

The catch is, most states only have a 3 yr / 39k mile warranty. Some states, like PA where I live, the fuel injectors and rails are covered for 7 yr / 70k miles. To view more specific info...

1. Go to this URL - Owner's Manual & Warranty | 2016 Honda Pilot | Honda Owners Site
2. Select your model and year from the drop down menus
3. Click on the link titled "emissions regulations" about half way down the page

·
Registered
602 Posts
All, lets not forget about federal emissions warranty! Although it doesn't help solve problematic fuel injectors or fuel rails, it should minimize or prevent any out of pocket expense if/when you need to replace them.

The catch is, most states only have a 3 yr / 39k mile warranty. Some states, like PA where I live, the fuel injectors and rails are covered for 7 yr / 70k miles. To view more specific info...

1. Go to this URL - Owner's Manual & Warranty | 2016 Honda Pilot | Honda Owners Site
2. Select your model and year from the drop down menus
3. Click on the link titled "emissions regulations" about half way down the page
Interesting, based on that URL you posted, Pennsylvania appears to only have 3/50 coverage on injectors. Where do you get 7/70?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
As a potential customer of a 2020, am I reading this correctly that they have a new part number that is supposedly better?

I gotta say I have my heart set on a new Pilot vs the other options but reading these forums really has me scared. I have always been a Honda guy except for one departure to BMW.

What are the best and most reliable 3 row SUVs now?
I suppose I'd be weighing the warranty pretty heavily... the Koreans have the best warranty.

IDK at this point after being on various 3 row crossover forums to just get what you like and try to set aside some extra money when the B2B warranty is up to cover repairs. Cars are such complex vehicles now that I honestly don't trust any of them to be all that reliable.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So from my memory the rails and injectors are one Honda part number. So if one is 3 years and the other is 7 years how does that work when it calls for replacement at let’s say the 4 year mark?
I'm willing to bet that they are different. Below is a list of parts, part numbers and quantities of each that are replaced when the TSB is performed correctly.

Part Name Part Number Quantity
Fuel Injector Set (all except 2019 Pilot Touring and Elite) 16010-RLV-315 1
Fuel Injector Set (2019 Pilot Touring and Elite only) 16010-RLV-306 1
Fuel Joint Pipe Set 16012-R9P-315 1
Front Gasket 17055-R9P-A01 1
Rear Gasket 17065-R9P-A01 1
Intake Manifold Gasket 17101-RLV-A01 6
Throttle Body Gasket 17102-RLV-A01 1
EGR Seal 17103-RLV-A01 2
EGR Pipe Gasket A 18716-RB0-G01 1

1 - 20 of 75 Posts