Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! I've been a bit busy with other things, so haven't been on board recently. I've searched the forum for a number of descriptions for my issue, and nothing came up, and would appreciate the expertise/knowledge of anyone that can help.

I needed to change the battery on my 2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD yesterday and ran into a problem. I removed the nuts from the T bolts and removed the terminals from the old OEM battery, and replaced the battery. In reconnecting the battery terminals to the new battery, one of the nuts cross-threaded on the 'T' bolt. I had to go out and buy a metric tap and die set and used the M6 X 1.0mm die to chase the threads on the bolt (it matched up with the threads below the cross-threaded area) just enough to get a compatible nut to go on and tighten.

Has anyone replaced the 'T' bolt with an aftermarket one, and if so, would someone have a part number of the item that they used, and share it with me please? Also, are there different sizes for the negative and positive terminals? Of course, Honda only sells the complete battery terminal assembly, and I don't want to spend the big $$ just to replace a bolt (if I had to do this, I would probably only use the 'T' bolt, and not change the whole assembly).

If anyone would kindly pass the aftermarket part numbers, or the website and part number on to me, I would greatly appreciate it. You can post here in a reply, or can PM/message me at my email address in my profile. I'm good to go for now, but since I buggered up the bolts, I want to get them ordered and replace them as soon as possible.

I also found several of the clips missing or broken when taking the Striker, Engine Cover - Honda (91547-TZ5-A02) 2016-2020 Honda cover off to access the battery (you have to take the Striker, Engine Cover off, then remove the air cleaner intake assembly to get to the battery). This must have happened when the Honda Dealer was installing the transmission cooler, since I've not taken that off myself. I was able to find replacement clips on Amazon for this, Amazon advertises them as Rexka 50pcs Striker Engine Cover Retainer Clip for Honda 91547-TZ5-A02 Honda Odyssey, Pilot & Ridgeline Acura MDX, RDX & TLX 91547TZ5A02; I figured for the price, and how brittle the get, 50 pieces for the price isn't too bad, just keep the rest for spares. Link to Amazon for the clips is Amazon.com: Rexka 50pcs Striker Engine Cover Retainer Clip for Honda 91547-TZ5-A02 Honda Odyssey, Pilot & Ridgeline Acura MDX, RDX & TLX 91547TZ5A02: Automotive I hope this helps someone as well!

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Sincerely,
Ted

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For everyone's info, I took a chance and ordered 2 of the Hardware, Ground Terminal, 32603-TK8-A01, and received them in the mail today. $42+ dollars for 2 'T' bolts, nuts, and washers. Whew!

But, they fit both sides. I took the measurements of the bolts after I removed them from the vehicle to allow others to compare aftermarket 'T' bolts through Amazon, autoZone, etc.:

Honda Pilot OEM replacement ‘T’ bolts

Width (‘T’)= 22.17 mm (7/8”)
Height= 26.80mm (1 1/16”)

Came off:
Width (‘T’)= 21.77 mm (55/64 - almost 7/8")
Height= 26.80 mm (1 1/16”)

I could not find a diagram for the positive terminal, so took a shot in the dark and ordered 2, since both bolts looked identical. I even asked the parts department guy where I ordered them through, and he couldn't bring up a part for the positive terminal, he checked with the mechanics in the service bays, and they told him it was just a standard bolt, but, and washer; NOT on mine!

Hopes this helps someone else save a few bucks if they need to replace theirs!

Ted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
The engine cover retainer clips you linked to look different than the ones on my 2019. I will have to take a look at mine tomorrow since I want to order a few extra. Two of mine had been broken by the dealer when they removed the cover to change the battery under warranty and they did replace them. For that reason I want a few extra.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Actually had time to go check and you have shown the correct replacement part for the retainer clips. I was thinking of the ones that hold the air intake duct in place which are different. I'd like to get a few extra of those also just to have on hand. There are four of them on the intake, don't know if they are used any where else. It also looks like there are 10 of the retainer clips on the bottom of the striker engine cover.

Push pin 2.jpg Push pin 1.jpg

·
Registered
220 Posts
Appreciate all this information!

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Followup info on my initial post and the followup questions:

I found that there is a terminal 'T' bolt listed on Amazon, which I ordered as a backup and to check the sizing on it.

Here is the part on Amazon: Amazon.com: URO Parts 61128373946T Battery Cable"T" Bolt, w/Nut and Washer: Automotive

I received the part and sized it against the original 'T' bolt that was good, and used my digital caliper to measure it, and found that it was exactly the same dimensions as the original. The only thing that I could not do was to compare the angled 'wedges' on the 'T' portion that squeeze the battery terminal clamp onto the post, however, eyeballing it, the two bolts were almost identical. In the event that someone needs an inexpensive solution to replacing the 'T' bolt, this should work. In searching the web, I couldn't find any company that advertises the 'T' bolt specifically for the Honda, but had to take a chance and ordered one from the company where the description matched the measurements. The only difference is the quality of the Stainless Steel, the original being 303 grade Stainless Steel, whereas this one is 304 grade Stainless Steel.

Regarding ls973800's question about the clips, I'd stopped by AutoZone just after I'd I'd had my Pilot for a year to check the battery. The associate had to take the clips off the air cleaner, and of course, set them down, and sure enough, a couple of them had to fall down under the engine. Being plastic, they are lightweight and I couldn't retrieve them. I looked on Amazon and found this part number for the clip:

This is part number for an Acura, which corresponds to the part number for a Honda Pilot (2016). The package contains 15 clips (and the other Striker, Engine Cover clip pieces had like 50 each in the package), so I took a couple of large prescription bottles and removed the labels, and placed a few of each of the clips in the bottles and keep in my tool bag as a backup.

Hope that helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts