Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ongoing problem that is beyond annoying. There is a high-pitched chirping (sounds like a bearing going out on a motor) when all conditions are right with the climate control. It typically is loudest when climate is set to Auto around 70-72 with the rear air on. I can sometimes make the chirping stop when turning off the rear air. From what I have researched, there is not a separate rear blower fan for the 2016+ Pilots. We have replaced the main air blower and it did nothing. It also sounds like it is coming from the driver's console area by the knees, not the blower area in the passenger seat. It has gotten to the point I want to get rid of it because even the dealer can't find what it is (not that I'm actually surprised).

I found some forums on here that reference a rear blower in the older style Pilots and it almost sounds exactly the same as what I'm dealing with. I do know that they updated the air blower on the 2016 Pilots as there are 2 different styles (one being a newer model number) on online Pilot part stores.

I'm about to start driving Ace Ventura style with the climate control off.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am having the same problem with chirping/rattle occurring in the front cabin area while the heat is own (no matter the temperature or air volume). The dealer said there might be some debris in the ducts (they claim to have removed) and then I replaced the cabin filter, but neither fixed the problem.

Did you end up getting this resolved?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same issue. Let us know what the fix is when you get it resolved. I might try tearing into the dash to see if I can somehow lubricate that darn thing...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the same issue. Let us know what the fix is when you get it resolved. I might try tearing into the dash to see if I can somehow lubricate that darn thing...
I know on Honda sedans it’s pain in the ass to get to the blower. I m assuming it’s the same for Honda suvs. Gotta rip out everything.

I would just replace if you are going to rip the dashboard out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blowers typically last 30-40k miles before starting to be noisy. I have replaced both of them on my '16 Elite. They are easy to reach from passenger side. Front blower is under the glove box, and rear blower is under the center console.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We did replace the front blower already but I couldn’t locate where to purchase or replace a rear blower unit. Where did you buy yours? I’m assuming this one will be a pain in the arse to replace since it’s obvious that is probably the culprit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2016 Touring started doing the same thing somewhere after 30k miles. Dealership also blamed it on debris in the vents and would not address any further. It became so maddening that I sold it!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was having the same issue with loud chirping from the heat in colder weather (anything under 50 F). The dealer initially said it was debris and cleaned it all out, but it didnt fix it. Next visit the dealer heard the noise and ordered/replaced the air blower motor and assembly and the sound has gone away completely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am on this site because I googled the exact same problem! We purchased a 2016 Pilot Touring model used about a year and a half ago, and I love the car, except for that annoying noise and the fact that nobody seems to be able to figure out what it is! Our mechanic can't even seem to hear it which makes me insane! It is exactly how and where you describe the noise. Have you had any luck since your post?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Nichole120,

I just realized the issue you described is exact the same as mine on my 2017 Pilot EX-L. How did you fix the issue?

·
Registered
113 Posts

Merging a separate discussion with this one. My 2016 Pilot had both blower motor bearings go bad within three years of purchase. I replaced both on my dime. I did not want to waste back-and-forth time with the dealer for them to say "can't repeat; no issue found".

I bought both blower motors from hondapartsnetwork.com. It is the web store of Honda of Lisle. The store is local, so I drive there to save on shipping. Each motor was less than $80 each. Each motor take less than 15 minutes to install.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm actually bringing my pilot in tomorrow for the technician to diagnose and send to Honda Canada for warranty claim. They suspect it's a worn fan bearing and said they shouldn't have an issue replacing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm actually bringing my pilot in tomorrow for the technician to diagnose and send to Honda Canada for warranty claim. They suspect it's a worn fan bearing and said they shouldn't have an issue replacing it.
my 18 pilot is currently in the shop right now for the same issue.They said there was a honda recall related to an engine part that didn’t affect the functionality of the engine. More cosmetic they said. Any updates on your end?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had same problem when I bought my 17 elite two months ago, noticed it when I test drove it. Replaced blower motor myself (there is a thread on it) with the newest honda p/n (there have been three different blower p/ns) and all is fine now. I'm guessing honda had to try a few different suppliers for this motor. Replacing the blower is not a huge deal but isn't a 15 minute job either (probably 1 hour start to finish.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts