Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you DIY a little. To do an inspection of the cam on your own, there are five 10mm bolts holding on the front timing belt cover, it would give you an opportunity to see if the pulley and sprocket are twisting out of place. The cam thrust cover is on the opposite side of the head held on by two 12mm bolts. The EGR valve would need to be removed. Most auto parts carry the EGR gasket for a couple of dollars and some change.
I will give it a try. Thank you again

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 Honda Pilot with 67k miles on it. I’ve had no issues, and up until now, I loved it.

A couple weeks ago, I went to the store and when I came back to the car and started it, I got several alerts on my dash. I turned the car on and off a couple times, and nothing. I attempted to drive and at about 25 or 30mph, I would get a rough jerk and lose power. I pulled over and parked, and called a tow truck as I didn’t think it was safe to drive. I recently moved and was t familiar with the area, but I found out I wasn’t too far from the dealer so I decided to try to drive there.

When I started the car, all alerts had gone away and it was driving normal. I have an old civic as well so I drove that the rest of the week. I started and drove the Pilot a couple times with no issues, but I still took it to the dealer to find out what the issue was. The dealer told me that it was getting code DTC P0369. He stated that they needed to replace the camshaft and the camshaft thrust cover ($2200).

Initially I told them to just go ahead and do it as the car will be paid off in 2 months and I’m not looking to buy another. But, I was mad that they they wouldn’t waive/pay a $60 overnight fee instead of making me wait the 4-5 days to ship. (Maybe I’m crazy but if I’m giving you 2200, I feel like you can handle the 60).

So, I decided to go to my mechanic and give them the money instead. When my mechanic got it, his advice was that most cars do not have this issue so early (closer to double the miles that I have). He drove it with no issues or alerts, so he thought I could make it maybe another year before replacing it if I continued with recommended maintenance. He also provided me with a bulletin from Honda explaining that they’re having this issue with 2016-2017 Pilots and Ridgelines.

I drove it home, and of course the next time I start the car, all alerts are back on. Of course, by now the warranty has expired but Honda is clearly aware of the issue. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and how you handled it. I’ve already accepted I most likely will be paying $2200 with hopes that this isn’t a reoccurring issue as my 2005 civic has 193k miles and the only issue has been replacing the alternator once.
Hi. I'm having the same issue right now and faced with the decision as to whether or not to repair it or buy a new car since we don't know what else might come up in the near future. What did you decide to do?

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Hi. I'm having the same issue right now and faced with the decision as to whether or not to repair it or buy a new car since we don't know what else might come up in the near future. What did you decide to do?
Do you have the engine trouble codes? We might can help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are a bunch of them. Driver Assist, Hill Stablilizing (?) and many others. We did have a recent issue with mice building a nest in our engine.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
There are a bunch of them. Driver Assist, Hill Stablilizing (?) and many others. We did have a recent issue with mice building a nest in our engine.
I assume your referring to what the lights say on the instrument panel. Often one problem can lead to another. If you can scan for the codes and post them here, we may be able to help. Just be mindful that a weak battery or a loose battery terminal connection can cause multiple trouble codes. I would check this first, especially if the battery is 4+ years old. Some aftermarket batteries are slightly shorter causing the battery terminals not to fit tightly (AutoZone).
Be mindful of the push button start glitch. A tap of the start button instead of a press, can cause the electrical system to glitch. This will usually go away after the vehicle is turned off for a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
My 2016 Honda Pilot is at the dealership with the same issue. I have 96,000 miles on mine and it has had issues since I bought it. They had to do a major transmission job 2 years after I bought it. I love driving it and I hate shopping for a new car but this issue is going to cost me over 2500 dollars. Camshaft and thruster and sensor all have to be replaced. My brother told me the same thing; that this should not be happening so soon. I have had all my maintenance kept up to date and was always done on time with this dealer. It just burns me up on how much this is costing me. I googled this issue and there are many Honda Pilot owners facing many issues that I have had with my car. I had my xterra for over 14 years to save up and buy the car of my dreams which has become my worst nightmare!!

I have a 2016 Honda Pilot with 67k miles on it. I’ve had no issues, and up until now, I loved it.

A couple weeks ago, I went to the store and when I came back to the car and started it, I got several alerts on my dash. I turned the car on and off a couple times, and nothing. I attempted to drive and at about 25 or 30mph, I would get a rough jerk and lose power. I pulled over and parked, and called a tow truck as I didn’t think it was safe to drive. I recently moved and was t familiar with the area, but I found out I wasn’t too far from the dealer so I decided to try to drive there.

When I started the car, all alerts had gone away and it was driving normal. I have an old civic as well so I drove that the rest of the week. I started and drove the Pilot a couple times with no issues, but I still took it to the dealer to find out what the issue was. The dealer told me that it was getting code DTC P0369. He stated that they needed to replace the camshaft and the camshaft thrust cover ($2200).

Initially I told them to just go ahead and do it as the car will be paid off in 2 months and I’m not looking to buy another. But, I was mad that they they wouldn’t waive/pay a $60 overnight fee instead of making me wait the 4-5 days to ship. (Maybe I’m crazy but if I’m giving you 2200, I feel like you can handle the 60).

So, I decided to go to my mechanic and give them the money instead. When my mechanic got it, his advice was that most cars do not have this issue so early (closer to double the miles that I have). He drove it with no issues or alerts, so he thought I could make it maybe another year before replacing it if I continued with recommended maintenance. He also provided me with a bulletin from Honda explaining that they’re having this issue with 2016-2017 Pilots and Ridgelines.

I drove it home, and of course the next time I start the car, all alerts are back on. Of course, by now the warranty has expired but Honda is clearly aware of the issue. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and how you handled it. I’ve already accepted I most likely will be paying $2200 with hopes that this isn’t a reoccurring issue as my 2005 civic has 193k miles and the only issue has been replacing the alternator once.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
i actually just picked my car back up from my mechanic after having the work completed. Ultimately, I decided to have the work done. I was frustrated by my dealership and decided not to have them do it. Although, I did not want to spend the money on this, I was fortunate to have it, and my car will be paid off best month. In my opinion, it made more sense to pay the $2200 than to commit to another car note. Fingers crossed that this is the end of these types of repairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter just had the exact same thing. She has a 2016 pilot with 72000 miles she purchased used 3 months ago. Fortunately she purchased extended warranty. She had it towed to dealer and they are telling her 1 to 6 months to get parts. Has all the warnings lights and has code for bad camshaft sensor. Dealer says it needs camshaft and sensor. The 1 to 6 months is not very reasonable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My daughter just had the exact same thing. She has a 2016 pilot with 72000 miles she purchased used 3 months ago. Fortunately she purchased extended warranty. She had it towed to dealer and they are telling her 1 to 6 months to get parts. Has all the warnings lights and has code for bad camshaft sensor. Dealer says it needs camshaft and sensor. The 1 to 6 months is not very reasonable.
No. That doesn’t sound reasonable at all. I dropped my car off the day before I went on vacation. A week later, they had sent the wrong part and it only took a couple extra days to get the same part. I don’t understand how it was take 6 months for parts all of a sudden.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No. That doesn’t sound reasonable at all. I dropped my car off the day before I went on vacation. A week later, they had sent the wrong part and it only took a couple extra days to get the same part. I don’t understand how it was take 6 months for parts all of a sudden.
They are telling her everything is on back order. They have to use a Honda part for warranty.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts