Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Honda Pilot with 67k miles on it. I’ve had no issues, and up until now, I loved it.

A couple weeks ago, I went to the store and when I came back to the car and started it, I got several alerts on my dash. I turned the car on and off a couple times, and nothing. I attempted to drive and at about 25 or 30mph, I would get a rough jerk and lose power. I pulled over and parked, and called a tow truck as I didn’t think it was safe to drive. I recently moved and was t familiar with the area, but I found out I wasn’t too far from the dealer so I decided to try to drive there.

When I started the car, all alerts had gone away and it was driving normal. I have an old civic as well so I drove that the rest of the week. I started and drove the Pilot a couple times with no issues, but I still took it to the dealer to find out what the issue was. The dealer told me that it was getting code DTC P0369. He stated that they needed to replace the camshaft and the camshaft thrust cover ($2200).

Initially I told them to just go ahead and do it as the car will be paid off in 2 months and I’m not looking to buy another. But, I was mad that they they wouldn’t waive/pay a $60 overnight fee instead of making me wait the 4-5 days to ship. (Maybe I’m crazy but if I’m giving you 2200, I feel like you can handle the 60).

So, I decided to go to my mechanic and give them the money instead. When my mechanic got it, his advice was that most cars do not have this issue so early (closer to double the miles that I have). He drove it with no issues or alerts, so he thought I could make it maybe another year before replacing it if I continued with recommended maintenance. He also provided me with a bulletin from Honda explaining that they’re having this issue with 2016-2017 Pilots and Ridgelines.

I drove it home, and of course the next time I start the car, all alerts are back on. Of course, by now the warranty has expired but Honda is clearly aware of the issue. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and how you handled it. I’ve already accepted I most likely will be paying $2200 with hopes that this isn’t a reoccurring issue as my 2005 civic has 193k miles and the only issue has been replacing the alternator once.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Found the code P0369
  • Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
  • Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty starter motor
  • Starting system circuit
  • Dead (Weak) battery

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
#1 check your battery.
Has it been replaced?
Make sure terminals are tight.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,053 Posts
#1 check your battery.
Has it been replaced?
Make sure terminals are tight.
exactly. Start with cheap stuff first.
Camshaft position sensor if it needs replacement, would cost you under $500 parts and labor. Your dealer disappoints me.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,325 Posts
I find the bad camshaft diagnosis a little hard to swallow from the information given.

A camshaft going bad will usually exhibit things like backfiring and popping from the engine, cylinder misfire at low and very high RPMs and/or a loud tapping noise coming from the valves. It sounds like neither the dealer nor the independent mechanic did a visual inspection of the camshaft, bearings and thrust plate.

Unless there are other unreported factors, I would have to agree with the above advise and start from the cheapest possible problem to fix and work my way up.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
This doesn't run, then runs, then doesn't again, really sounds like a bad battery.
Have you ever had issues with mice? The cam sensor harness could be shorting out if its been compromised by a rodent. The cam sensor is tucked away behind the front cam pulley.

Reactions: Steffo and The Todd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the replies.

I’ve never had a problem with mice or anything. It actually starts every time. Just seems like randomly I get these lights on the dashboard now. Sorry I meant to attach these pictures in my Initial Post. The second is the letter my mechanic gave me from Honda.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
I appreciate all the replies.

I’ve never had a problem with mice or anything. It actually starts every time. Just seems like randomly I get these lights on the dashboard now. Sorry I meant to attach these pictures in my Initial Post. The second is the letter my mechanic gave me from Honda.
A weak battery will make the dashboard light up with all kinds of warnings. It's happened to me and several on the forum. If your battery is the original from the factory, there is a very good chance your problem will be solved with a new battery. Is this something you can do on your own?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A weak battery will make the dashboard light up with all kinds of warnings. It's happened to me and several on the forum. If your battery is the original from the factory, there is a very good chance your problem will be solved with a new battery. Is this something you can do on your own?
Yup. I will check the voltage tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Bad battery won't cause a p0369. The camshaft end play is out of spec causing the issue. Measuring the end play doesn't take that long and will confirm the issue. I do caution the op not to let it go to long, to much thrust will take out the cylinder head. I have also seen the the front sprocket break off the cmp, sending it through the belt, and bend valves.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,053 Posts
Ok… because there seems to be so little here about that code, I went to the Ridgeline version of this site. BOOM!
Plenty over there.
Go plug the code in over there and lots of talk.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Ok… because there seems to be so little here about that code, I went to the Ridgeline version of this site. BOOM!
Plenty over there.
Go plug the code in over there and lots of talk.

Intresting read. I didn't see any mention of the code P0369? It certainly describes what @Slvr7 said. I guess what I dont understand is check-engine.com says code P0369 can be caused by a weak battery. Let's hope that's what the OPs problem is, but the original diagnosis is very disturbing.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Checked the battery voltage this morning. Dashboard is still lit up and the battery is at 12.8 volts so I don’t think that’s going to be the issue. I’ll checkout the Ridgeline Forum since you said there’s more information on there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Checked the battery voltage this morning. Dashboard is still lit up and the battery is at 12.8 volts so I don’t think that’s going to be the issue. I’ll checkout the Ridgeline Forum since you said there’s more information on there. Thanks again.
If you DIY a little. To do an inspection of the cam on your own, there are five 10mm bolts holding on the front timing belt cover, it would give you an opportunity to see if the pulley and sprocket are twisting out of place. The cam thrust cover is on the opposite side of the head held on by two 12mm bolts. The EGR valve would need to be removed. Most auto parts carry the EGR gasket for a couple of dollars and some change.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
259 Posts
I’m pretty shocked to read this. At on 67k and you need a new camshaft. If that’s truly the case I would contact Honda and ask them to help pay for the replacement. It’s crazy that something like that would fail so early. With today’s technology it’s unacceptable for this component to fail so soon.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
I’m pretty shocked to read this. At on 67k and you need a new camshaft. If that’s truly the case I would contact Honda and ask them to help pay for the replacement. It’s crazy that something like that would fail so early. With today’s technology it’s unacceptable for this component to fail so soon.
When I started reading up on the thrust covers based on what @Jrgomez15 said about replacing the whole thrust cover instead of just the gaskets to stop an oil leak. I was concerned about the wear these supposedly can have by the cam rubbing against them. Neither of my thrust covers showed any signs that the cams had ever touched them.
I agree, this situation is shocking.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts