Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! First time poster here. My white EX-L arrives this week to replace my 2005 EX-L – can’t wait! I’m having the dealer install some accessories (roof rails, lower front and rear bumper trim, chrome door trim) but am looking to install a couple things on my own as well. I tried to get the dealer to install the chrome bumper trim but they won’t do it because it’s specific for the Touring and Elite. Based on what I read, it’s installable but there would just be a circular hole where the sensor would have been.

Has anyone installed the chrome bumper trim as a DIY? The instructions seems pretty straight forward but curious to know whether anyone had any issue finding the “slot” to pop out the original trim and whether you encountered any issues. I looked around the cars on the lot and it was not clear where I should be using the plastic trim tool to pop it out.

Thanks for the help!

Instructions: LinkDeny

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Slider. I found the instructions but was curious if anyone here has ever done it. Not a big DIY person when it comes to cars so just worried about applying too much pressure and forcing it out, sticking the tool in the wrong area, or scratching the bumper! Would have probably just paid the extra $$ to have the dealership do it so I wouldn't have to worry about it but they refused.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I thought only the Elite/Touring bumpers had this. The black plastic trim doesn't appear to have any holes/spaces to pop out in the EXL and lower.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I installed mine and there's clear circles and marks to where you should poke the pilot holes. If you are unsure you can always look in the back of the new chrome piece and verify, since attachment locations are built in. Even if you are off by a millimeter or so the attachments gives you enough play. The chrome piece will hide any mistakes you make because it is a big cover. Just be sure to start with a small hole and move up. It will keep the drill from traveling out of the target hole location.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I cannot find this bumper chrome y'all are talking about. I see the tailgate chrome trim, but not the rear bumper chrome trim.

Is there a link?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Midwestgent - I just ordered it online, too. Perhaps it's worth a shot to bring it in and see if they can do it as a last minute favor when I pick up the car.

What trim level is your Pilot?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Install it yourself. It took me 5 minutes each. Had a flathead screwdriver wrapped in painters tape to do it. The hardest part was popping the parking sensor out of the notched groove. Really simple and easy. Just go for it and take your time. I could do it blindfolded if I had to. Dealer will just take your money 😂

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Install it yourself. It took me 5 minutes each. Had a flathead screwdriver wrapped in painters tape to do it. The hardest part was popping the parking sensor out of the notched groove. Really simple and easy. Just go for it and take your time. I could do it blindfolded if I had to. Dealer will just take your money 😂

ObsidianX, was there an actual slot where you used the flathead screwdriver? Or just somewhere around those two areas?

Bought a plastic trim tool and tape so I'm good to go once I feel confident I won't break/scratch anything! No worries on the parking sensor since my car doesn't have one :laugh:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
ObsidianX, was there an actual slot where you used the flathead screwdriver? Or just somewhere around those two areas?

Bought a plastic trim tool and tape so I'm good to go once I feel confident I won't break/scratch anything! No worries on the parking sensor since my car doesn't have one
No slot, just carefully work the screwdriver in there. Between the bumper body and black bumper trim piece.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

No slot, just carefully work the screwdriver in there. Between the bumper body and black bumper trim piece.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Thanks - appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just installed the tailgate garnish (as Honda calls it)yesterday on my 2017 Touring and it looks pretty good on the Dark Cherry paint. It was very easy to install, just make sure to follow the directions (always a good idea). Think it took all of 15-20 minutes which included cleaning the tailgate area with an alcohol wipe.

Found mine on www.oempartsource.com for $119.70 plus shipping, half the price of my Honda dealers parts department.:smile:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts