Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 164,000 miles on my 2016 Pilot which I purchased new. For the past few months the transmission has been bucking and jerking.
I took it to my local repair shop and they were stymied and recommended I take to dealer.
Dealer recommended ATF replacement using the described complicated tech process
Since the service ($390) the transmission runs smooth as can be.
I will continue to do the transmission service every 30-40 thousand miles

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks for posting. I have 67500 miles on my 2017 EX 6 speed tranny. So far no issues. Did you install a VCM disabler on yours? I have not. But I have done 3 drain and refills of tranny fluid over the last 3 years.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
An ATF drain and refill is my standard recommendation if anyone experiencing strange behavior.
did they flush it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting. I have 67500 miles on my 2017 EX 6 speed tranny. So far no issues. Did you install a VCM disabler on yours? I have not. But I have done 3 drain and refills of tranny fluid over the last 3 years.
I do not have VCM installed you’re smart to do the tran service that’s where I screwed up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An ATF drain and refill is my standard recommendation if anyone experiencing strange behavior.
did they flush it?
The lead service tech at my Honda dealership explained that they complete a complicated transmission service that requires them to drain and fill then test and drain and fill again if trans doesn’t respond to first dose.
Never asked if they flushed

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
The lead service tech at my Honda dealership explained that they complete a complicated transmission service that requires them to drain and fill then test and drain and fill again if trans doesn’t respond to first dose.
Never asked if they flushed
Honda doesn't do an actual flush, just repeated drain and fills. This remove old fluid by dilution. Since there is approximately 9 quarts of ATF in the system and you drain and fill around 3.5 quarts. After 3 drain and fills your transmission is about 80% fresh fluid. If you did a 4th, it be about 90%.
Did they say anything about changing the ATF filter? I'm using this aftermarket 25 micron Wix/Filtran filter (58953). It has an additional magnet. Keeps my ATF super clean.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I also recommend you buy a device to disable the VCM. The cylinder deactivation system puts extra strain on the torque convertor and transmission fluid, which will cause it to deteriorate faster.

Changing the external transmission filter isn't a bad idea either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts