Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Our “no start” issue has progressively gotten worse over the last two months. We initially started receiving a “keyless start system problem” warning every couple weeks. The forum recommendation was to replace the “start” button, which I did. That warning hasn’t appeared since. Now we’re having an issue where the vehicle will occasionally fail to start. It’ll eventually start, but it’s random. I’d like to understand if it’s a starter or alternator problem. Any help would be appreciated

Part 1

Part 2

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I'm sure by now you have replaced the battery. If you went with an aftermarket battery, the box lid can sometimes prevent the terminals to fit down tight over the post. Especially the positive post. I'd check to make sure that their tight.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I would start by testing the alternator to see if it's charging.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Those voltages look ok so your alternator is fine. What is happening when it fails to start? Are you hearing a clicking sound or is it just popping warning lights? Does it start ok with the push button or is it only failing to start when the auto stop shuts the car off.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is an audible clicking sound when trying to start, but fails to turnover.

We now disable the auto-off function after it failed to turn the car back for my wife a couple of times. Once in a McDonalds drive-thru. Very embarrassing and upset customers behind her.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
You said that you replaced the start button. Did you replace it with a genuine Honda part or did you get a cheap one on Amazon? It could be an issue with the button or possibly the connection on the back of the switch didn't get fully clicked in place. I would check that first, then check the starter motor and solenoid. If it is random, it could be a dead spot on the starter motor or a bad solenoid but that is much more expensive to replace.
Starters do seem to fail in very hot weather too and the Touring models do cause more wear and tear on the starting system due to that auto start feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Genuine OEM part for the start/stop button. I’m suspecting a starter problem. I have the same sentiments that the auto-off function would kill the starter over time

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

Our “no start” issue has progressively gotten worse over the last two months. We initially started receiving a “keyless start system problem” warning every couple weeks. The forum recommendation was to replace the “start” button, which I did. That warning hasn’t appeared since. Now we’re having an issue where the vehicle will occasionally fail to start. It’ll eventually start, but it’s random. I’d like to understand if it’s a starter or alternator problem. Any help would be appreciated

Part 1

Part 2
I am having this same problem. Dealer says they want to replace the starter and the battery at a cost of $1800+. All of the same symptoms. Auto shut off at red lights, drive thrus, etc. and then refuses to start, leaving me with angry drivers behind me. Sometimes takes 10 minutes of pushing the start button before it starts. Start button has been replaced twice already.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Does the battery test bad? Sounds like they are guessing. That is an expensive guess.
Do they guarantee that will fix the problem?
I could see changing the starter on a guess but not the battery and starter.

Do you have two key fobs and does if so, does it act up with both?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the battery test bad? Sounds like they are guessing. That is an expensive guess.
Do they guarantee that will fix the problem?
I could see changing the starter on a guess but not the battery and starter.

Do you have two key fobs and does if so, does it act up with both?
Good questions. I do have 2 key fobs. Ima tell the dealership to hold off. When this thing first started, and thought “check the battery,” and it checked out fine. They did refund me the latest starter button work since that hasn’t fixed the problem. When this thing first started, I got “keyless entry” error. I replaced the battery in the Fob with a brand new one, but that didn’t fix anything either. I bought this car brand new and paid a lot. $1800 is not cheap. I’ve had 2 other Hondas for 10 years each and never went to a repair shop except for the scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I could
I am having this same problem. Dealer says they want to replace the starter and the battery at a cost of $1800+. All of the same symptoms. Auto shut off at red lights, drive thrus, etc. and then refuses to start, leaving me with angry drivers behind me. Sometimes takes 10 minutes of pushing the start button before it starts. Start button has been replaced twice already.
Just trying to rule out possible things causing this. Could it be a faulty brake light switch?
From what I've read, this also tells the computer the brake pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I hate problems like these. It could be the high current part of the system (starter, battery) or the low current part (security, safety, brake switch, button).

Are you still getting the “keyless entry” error?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts