Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody! I'm somewhat new to towing. To my chagrin, I bought a 2016 FWD EX-L with a towing capacity of 3500 LBS. I am looking to tow a small trailer behind it and have a few questions:

1. Does the 3500 towing capacity mean that's all of the weight that can be towed including anything we put in the trailer?
  2. What is my gvwr of my Pilot? How does that factor into the trailer weight?
  3. Can I still get the transmission cooler or is that only for AWD pilots? The dealer seemed confused about this. Does adding the transmission cooler give me more towing capacity or am I still stuck at 3500 since I have FWD?
  4. Would I be safe towing something like this with a UVW of 2935 or should I look for something smaller?
Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
103 Posts
1. Yes
2. 3500 (350lbs tongue weight) is the weight you can tow with 2 adults and 15lbs of luggage each in the Pilot. More passengers, less weight you can tow. See your owners manual page 450 for more details. http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATG71616OM/enu/ATG71616OM.PDF
3. Yes you can get the tranny cooler, NO it doesn't increase your towing capacity.
4. Safe, yes, although certainly not optimal. Trying to pull 3500lbs up a dirt road up a hill might prove challenging because all the weight is on the rear due to the trailer, yet, all the traction is on the front.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the responses. I'm a little confused about the towing capacity and internal weight. If I put a lot of baggage and weight in the trailer instead of in the car, but still kept it under 3500, would it have the same impact as putting the baggage in the car?

Also, how does the hitch weight work? Am I stuck at 350 lbs or less or can I go higher? Should I look at getting a weight distribution hitch?

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
I haven't looked at the current generation Pilots owners manual enough to know if it has the same detailed data on vehicle and trailer weights as the prior generations. I'm hoping it does.
If so, Honda shows the max weight inside the car varies as trailer weight changes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've read the towing section in the owners manual multiple times. Still a little confused about how the different capacities and weight ratios work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for the responses. I'm a little confused about the towing capacity and internal weight. If I put a lot of baggage and weight in the trailer instead of in the car, but still kept it under 3500, would it have the same impact as putting the baggage in the car?

Also, how does the hitch weight work? Am I stuck at 350 lbs or less or can I go higher? Should I look at getting a weight distribution hitch?

All the info above is great, I say yes on WDH. But it will NOT increase your max hitch weight. 350lbs is 350lbs, whether it's distributed or not. But WDH does improve towing stability and safety. I personally would not tow our travel trailer without one. (and it's integrated sway control).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
  1. I am trying to understand the table. It says it is calculated based on each occupant weighing 165 lbs, but it reduces your towing capacity by 250 lbs per occupant. How does that work? Where did the missing 85 lbs go? Does adding weight to the car disproportionately reduce my towing capacity?
  2. Example 1: If I get a trailer that weighs 2700 lbs, I have 800 lbs I can add to the trailer. With 2 occupants, does that mean I can add 800 lbs total to the trailer and car combined? For example: 400 to trailer and 400 to car, or 500 to trailer and 300 to car. This is not including 330 lbs of 2 passengers right?
  3. Example 2: With 3 occupants, Does that mean I can add 550 lbs total to the trailer and car combined? What if the third occupant only weighs 50 lbs and we put their luggage in the trailer? Does that mean we can now add 750 lbs, or is it still 550 lbs?
On page 453, it says I can have a gross combined weight of 8025 lbs.

So with my car weighing 4200 lbs, the trailer weighing 2700 lbs, do I still have 1125 total weight I can put between the car and trailer?

Images uploaded here:

https://imgur.com/a/liJkGlo?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts