Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2016 EX upgraded Audio unit to 2018 Elite/TRG + RES

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  DailyGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
We only wanted Android Auto, HondaHack solution was just not enough.First I swap out 2017 EX Audio Unit part #39540-TG7-A02 just to get Android Auto working. Then I came across a great deal on a 2018 Elite Audio Unit part #39540-TG7-A44.
After installing the unit, I found that there's no sound since EX trim doesn't come with an AMP.

I couldn't find any information on anyone else who added OEM Rear Entertainment System to Non-Elite/Trg trim. So I took the dive and did the whole audio system upgrade!
In between work, distant learning for the kids, a few hours a week, and plenty of frustrations, I was able to gather all the necessary parts, diagram, and pinouts for the project.

Necessary OEM parts can be had on ebay:
1. 2017-2018 Audio Unit w/ RES
2. AMP
3. BluRay Drive
4. Dash Harness from Elite/Touring
5. Rear Screen (dual HDMI for BD)
6. Rear AUX Jack

The rewards was Android Auto for the happy wife and rear Entertainment for the kids!

here's a few pictures of the process:

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 · (Edited)
I did not pull the dash. Instead I cut and splice Audio connectors from Elite trim harness and ran the wires behind glove box up to the front pillar.

Looking back now, it would've been easier to pull the dash and swap the entire harness.
I just wanted to keep everything intact for the original EX harness in case things didn't work out.

Fortunately, I didn't break anything major beside a blown fuse (backup fuse illumination for Rear screen).

Discussion starter · #6 · (Edited)
Impressive work!
I have a 2016 EX-L without RES, but I added a screen and hooked up my old Playstation 3 as Bluray drive under the front passenger seat. It's fed by a 12V DC to 220V AC inverter hooked up to the 12V outlet in the centre compartment. Works perfectly. The only downside is that I don't have Andriod auto or Apple Carplay. But the install took maybe 5 hours. 4 for the screen and 1 for the inverter/PS3.
My plan is to make a complete rebuild of the sound system in the car. Removing all speakers and replacing with good ones, adding a second head unit somewhere and adding DSP controllers and amplifiers, as well as noise damping the car. But I have no idea of when I'll have time for such a project anymore...
Aftermarket would've been a much easier and probably better solution, but i just love the look of OEM setup.
I rerouted the center HDMI jack to the overhead screen for safer connection such as Chromecast or Roku stick. Kids keeps kicking the bottom jacks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.