Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery just died. And so I'm looking for a new battery. Any recommendations? Do I need an AGM battery? Should I just go to Costco and buy whatever they recommend?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My battery just died. And so I'm looking for a new battery. Any recommendations? Do I need an AGM battery? Should I just go to Costco and buy whatever they recommend?
The EX-L came with an Acid Filled battery (AF). So no, a AGM battery is not necessary. When I buy battery, I look for one with the highest cranking amps. But I'm sure a Costco battery would be just fine.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
An AGM battery is not required.

Some have reported that Costco doesn't stock the H6 size battery to fit the Pilot.
See if they have, or can order, an Interstate MTX-48 H6.
Costco may not install the battery for you.

Home Depot has an Exide Sprinter Max battery - again, no installation.
Walmart has an EverStart Maxx battery - installation should be free if the store has an auto center.
Advance Auto has a Die Hard Gold battery, with free installation.
AutoZone has a Duralast Gold battery, with free installation.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Where ever you decide to buy, just be aware that our battery sits inside a battery box with a lid. Sometimes the post does not come up through the lid as far as it should. I experienced this with the AutoZone battery. In any case, it's important that the terminals are secured tight to the battery post. It may be neccessary to purchase some battery post extensions.

Reactions: Mcmanut02 and whoa

·
Registered
125 Posts
Where ever you decide to buy, just be aware that our battery sits inside a battery box with a lid. Sometimes the post does not come up through the lid as far as it should. I experienced this with the AutoZone battery. In any case, it's important that the terminals are secured tight to the battery post. It may be neccessary to purchase some battery post extensions.
View attachment 146976
Funny, I've had to use these shims on 3 of my last Honda vehicles. Don't know what it is about Honda terminal clamps that make these shims a necessary requirement.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Funny, I've had to use these shims on 3 of my last Honda vehicles. Don't know what it is about Honda terminal clamps that make these shims a necessary requirement.
Yes, and thanks for the word "shims." The correct word.
I haven't had issues on the Crosstour, but with these new vehicles with all this tech, and push button start, it is imperative that the terminals are tight or risk a computer glitch.

Reactions: whoa

·
Registered
125 Posts
I suggest installing these in your Pilot. Who knows, it may fix some of the electrical gremlins that's plagued the vehicle. Cheap fix and it won't hurt.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
You don't need the shims.
Simply use a pair of pliers to reshape the terminal clamps so that they fit snugly onto the battery terminals.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Simply use a pair of pliers to reshape the terminal clamps so that they fit snugly onto the battery terminals.
Been there, done that. They still eventually work themselves loose. Shims were the only solution.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Been there, done that. They still eventually work themselves loose. Shims were the only solution.
If the clamps "eventually work themselves loose" from the battery terminals without the shims, why don't they also eventually work themselves loose when the shims are added?

·
Registered
125 Posts
If the clamps "eventually work themselves loose" from the battery terminals without the shims, why don't they also eventually work themselves loose when the shims are added?
Clamps are too big, even when tightened to the max, for the battery posts.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Clamps are too big, even when tightened to the max, for the battery posts.
Then you're not reforming the clamps so that they fit snugly onto the battery posts before you tighten the screws.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Then you're not reforming the clamps so that they fit snugly onto the battery posts before you tighten the screws.
We can go round and round on this with no agreement from either. Like you, I'm also mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My battery died a few months ago. Went over to Sam's Club and picked up a DieHard.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You need the shim if your battery box lid prevents the terminal from being pressed down on the post all the way. Otherwise you might need to cut the lid to fit.

Reactions: whoa

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
You need the shim if your battery box lid prevents the terminal from being pressed down on the post all the way. Otherwise you might need to cut the lid to fit.
Do replacement batteries have shorter posts than the OEM battery?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts