Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
New owner here, just picked up my used 2016 2 days ago. Previous owner backed into the garage and hit the backup camera (kinda ironic, I realize this lol) which cracked the lens and put it out of operation. Took it to the dealer for an estimate and they came back at $500 for the camera and 1.5 hours shop rate ($175/hr)... Found it on Honda Parts Network for $250. Has anyone replaced one of these? Any tips or tricks? It looks pretty straightforward, but I am asking in case I'm about to jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

Thanks!

(Part Number: 74810-TG7-A00)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same year, looks simple enough. Save that money and do it yourself.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I even called the dealer this AM to ask them to double check their quote as I'm seeing it at other authorized dealers for $345.... They said take it or leave it. Some of these dealers just have too much business I think.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do a search on the forum for the 2016 Honda repair manual. A member posted a link to it a few years ago. I am on the road right now viewing this with my Kindle. I don't have the link right now, sorry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do a search on the forum for the 2016 Honda repair manual. A member posted a link to it a few years ago. I am on the road right now viewing this with my Kindle. I don't have the link right now, sorry.
THANK YOU! I found the manual and have started to download it - awesome find!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone purchased from Honda Parts Network and had problems getting their order? I ordered the new backup camera like 4 days ago and the order still hasn't shipped. Just says "in process". My CC got billed though.... I'm starting to worry it's a scam site so thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick follow up. I did receive the new replacement camera today. The order status updated to "shipping" too lol...

Anyhoo.... It took me literally less than 30 mins to remove the broken camera, install the new one, and button it back up. Looks like it's working great and was very easy to do. If you need to replace your camera or your hatchback switch, you can look up the video for removing the plastic trim from an Odyssey - it's basically the same and helped me.

I'm very disappointed in my dealer for trying to overcharge me so drastically on this. They've lost my business going forward for all services and repairs besides an emergency / breakdown. Some of these dealers just have too much business and have stopped valuing their customers.

Thanks all for your help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome, I bet you feel a feeling of accomplishment too by doing it yourself

Sent from my P30 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, I bet you feel a feeling of accomplishment too by doing it yourself

Yeah feels good and all these little repairs are helping me to get to know the car better too. For instance I put a hitch on it this weekend, I had to lower the spare tire - gave me a chance to see how to do it so if I need to do it on the side of the road in the dark sometime, I'm covered - I also verified all the tools I need are in their proper places. I also noticed the spare is the OEM and had never been lowered - I bet it had 10lbs of pebbles and leaves up under there - plus the tire was at 10psi. I am going to add a thin layer of silicone to the back up camera edges to seal it better - the old one has dust and dirt inside the hatchback - probably from getting hit and moved out of position. So in a way - I like doing my own work.. but.. I really wish I could just win Powerball and stop dealing with stuff like that lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah feels good and all these little repairs are helping me to get to know the car better too. For instance I put a hitch on it this weekend, I had to lower the spare tire - gave me a chance to see how to do it so if I need to do it on the side of the road in the dark sometime, I'm covered - I also verified all the tools I need are in their proper places. I also noticed the spare is the OEM and had never been lowered - I bet it had 10lbs of pebbles and leaves up under there - plus the tire was at 10psi. I am going to add a thin layer of silicone to the back up camera edges to seal it better - the old one has dust and dirt inside the hatchback - probably from getting hit and moved out of position. So in a way - I like doing my own work.. but.. I really wish I could just win Powerball and stop dealing with stuff like that lol
Lol I would like to win the lottery too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts