Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '16 EX-L Pilot and about a month ago I had the 6 speed transmission slip/jerk/clunk when I first started up the car in the morning. It did a single weird slip/clunk thing about 7 or 8 different times as it was going from 0 to 10 miles an hour while I was driving around. Once it shifted to a higher gear it didn't do it anymore as it moved up through the gears. But once I stopped and then started to accelerate, it would do that one clunk/jerk thing as I accelerated up to 10 or so. Once I shut the car off and let it sit for a few hours, it was fine. No more single clunks as it accelerated.

Until yesterday. It did the same transmission single slip/clunk as we were driving to the store. It did it each time my wife accelerated from stopped. We got to the store, did our shopping and started it up again and all was well!?!?

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? So far the Honda dealer has found no codes, so they are helpless.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I have a '16 EX-L Pilot and about a month ago I had the 6 speed transmission slip/jerk/clunk when I first started up the car in the morning. It did a single weird slip/clunk thing about 7 or 8 different times as it was going from 0 to 10 miles an hour while I was driving around. Once it shifted to a higher gear it didn't do it anymore as it moved up through the gears. But once I stopped and then started to accelerate, it would do that one clunk/jerk thing as I accelerated up to 10 or so. Once I shut the car off and let it sit for a few hours, it was fine. No more single clunks as it accelerated.

Until yesterday. It did the same transmission single slip/clunk as we were driving to the store. It did it each time my wife accelerated from stopped. We got to the store, did our shopping and started it up again and all was well!?!?

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? So far the Honda dealer has found no codes, so they are helpless.
The 6-speed transmission is known to have issues like these. There is a TSB for this vehicle, dealing with the torque converter and clutch lock. The TSB work performed is a 3 time drain and fill of the ATF and a software update. But the damage may already be done and you need a new transmission. If you DIY and have no warranty, you could do the drain and fill of the ATF 3-4 times and disable the VCM and that may buy you more time.
Is your transmission fluid black? When's the last time it was changed? Milage?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 6-speed transmission is known to have issues like these. There is a TSB for this vehicle, dealing with the torque converter and clutch lock. The TSB work performed is a 3 time drain and fill of the ATF and a software update. But the damage may already be done and you need a new transmission. If you DIY and have no warranty, you could do the drain and fill of the ATF 3-4 times and disable the VCM and that may buy you more time.
Is your transmission fluid black? When's the last time it was changed? Milage?
Car is at the dealership now to see what they can find. I haven't looked at the transmission fluid for color. I have 38,750 miles on it. I'll have to check when the ATF was changed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car is at the dealership now to see what they can find. I haven't looked at the transmission fluid for color. I have 38,750 miles on it. I'll have to check when the ATF was changed.
Transmission was serviced on 12/12/2019 at 29000 miles. "Completed automatic transmission and transfer case service on vehicle, drain and filled. installed new crush washers on drain and filler plugs". $209.95 I don't see anything about a TSB and/or drain and fill 3 times.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
The transmission service was probably just a single drain and fill so there would probably still be dirty fluid in there. If the fluid was really bad, a 3x drain and fill is required. You should still be covered by the 5/60 powertrain warranty if there are more serious problems with the transmission or torque converter.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Transmission was serviced on 12/12/2019 at 29000 miles. "Completed automatic transmission and transfer case service on vehicle, drain and filled. installed new crush washers on drain and filler plugs". $209.95 I don't see anything about a TSB and/or drain and fill 3 times.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
What is a CEL ? This is also the first I've heard of pressure switches so that's encouraging.
Check Engine Light . Also the transmission shifting and torque converter lockup is controlled by pressure switches and solenoids which could trigger powertrain error codes and cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check Engine Light . Also the transmission shifting and torque converter lockup is controlled by pressure switches and solenoids which could trigger powertrain error codes and cause the symptoms you are experiencing.
Dealer did the transmission service and said the fluid in it was "dark". The pressure switches were monitored during a test drive using a HDS and no issues found. I'm hoping that changing the fluid will prevent future occurrences of the problem. No DTCs were found either. I don't know what HDS or DTCs are, but I don't think it matters.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
All I can say is, from one 6-speed Pilot owner to another, with an active VCM, always look for the "Erratic RPM Gauge Of Death." This is most noticeable when your cruise control is set.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I’m having this exact problem. The dealership changed the transmission fluid yesterday but no change. They said they can’t do anything else without them replicating the issue. Please let me know if you are able to get this solved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the problem also sporadic for you or is it happening all the time? How long has it been happening for you?

I’m having this exact problem. The dealership changed the transmission fluid yesterday but no change. They said they can’t do anything else without them replicating the issue. Please let me know if you are able to get this solved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you get this resolved? It took a few months, but it finally gave me a “transmission problem” light. Dealer said it was a pressure switch. Couple hundred dollar fix. Not as bad as I was expecting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you get this resolved? It took a few months, but it finally gave me a “transmission problem” light. Dealer said it was a pressure switch. Couple hundred dollar fix. Not as bad as I was expecting.
After another dealer tested the car and couldn't find the problem, I had the automatic transmission fluid drained and filled. Just one drain and fill because I didn't want to pay double or triple for 3 drain and fills. So far the problem has not returned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
TSB - 17-014 - READ IT and bring it with you to the dealer. Very clearly on page 2 indicates 8-Year, 80k Mile warranty for the premature transmission fluid breakdown. You should not have to pay to get this done - Software Update and 3 cycle flush. Attached below. Needs a sticky and prevent people from starting new threads about this same topic. My dealer in MO did it 100% free to me a couple of weeks ago (39k miles) and it does solve the problem at least until the fluid breaks down again.

https://www.piloteers.org/attachments/17-014-pdf.127713/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It happened again yesterday where the Pilot’s transmission would clunk and the car would lurch when shifting from 1st to second gear when it reached 10 or 11 miles an hour. This time we took it directly to the dealer, making sure not to shift it into park or even reverse on the way there. Once we got there, we got the shop foreman to ride with us while the car was doing the clunking. He got it in the shop (again with out putting it in park or reverse) and hooked up some monitoring equipment. the monitor found diagnostic code P0873 which means 4th clutch switch failure. Fortunately we had an extended warranty so they were able to fix it and it only cost us the $100 deductible that was part of the warranty. We will monitor the car for the next few weeks before feeling confident that it is fixed, but I wanted to share this in case anyone else is having the same problem.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
It happened again yesterday where the Pilot’s transmission would clunk and the car would lurch when shifting from 1st to second gear when it reached 10 or 11 miles an hour. This time we took it directly to the dealer, making sure not to shift it into park or even reverse on the way there. Once we got there, we got the shop foreman to ride with us while the car was doing the clunking. He got it in the shop (again with out putting it in park or reverse) and hooked up some monitoring equipment. the monitor found diagnostic code P0873 which means 4th clutch switch failure. Fortunately we had an extended warranty so they were able to fix it and it only cost us the $100 deductible that was part of the warranty. We will monitor the car for the next few weeks before feeling confident that it is fixed, but I wanted to share this in case anyone else is having the same problem. View attachment 141679
Did they perform the TSB? (Post #7)
Have you had any signs of the "Erratic rpm gauge of Death" with the cruise control on? (Post #11) The fine black particles of clutch material will continue to multiply, blacken fluid and play havoc on your transmission. They could be treating the symptoms and not taking care of what's instigating the trouble. The warranty expires and their off the hook. Not to mention the loss of longevity of the transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did they perform the TSB? (Post #7)
Have you had any signs of the "Erratic rpm gauge of Death" with the cruise control on? (Post #11) The fine black particles of clutch material will continue to multiply, blacken fluid and play havoc on your transmission. They could be treating the symptoms and not taking care of what's instigating the trouble. The warranty expires and their off the hook. Not to mention the loss of longevity of the transmission.
I haven’t seen the “erratic rpm gauge of death with the cruise control on”. We don’t use the cruise that often. But we will be monitoring the car closely and I’ll look for it the next time I drive the car (it’s my wife’s car so she does most of the driving of the car).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts