Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone take a picture of their dashboard by the driver side tweeter and tell me if mine looks crooked?

Here's the back story: My battery died one evening and I called Progressive roadside assistance for a tow. I gave the tow guy my keys and told him to drop it off at the dealer. The next morning I called the dealer to explain what happened, and they said my car was never dropped off. I called Progressive again and they said my car was towed back to the tow operator's private lot because their tow truck was giving them problems. I thought this was strange so I called them directly and asked what's up and the guy pretended like he didn't know me and hung up on me. Anyway, my Pilot eventually got the dealer later that day and they fixed it. I've been driving it around for a few weeks now and just noticed this metal piece peeking out from under the corner of my dashboard. I never noticed it before, but it seems unrefined ... and out of place. Is it supposed to look like this? Is it possible my Pilot somehow slid off the back of the tow truck because they left it in neutral and jacked up the frame? Then they towed it back to their place to do some shady bodywork before towing it to the dealer? Please tell me I'm not losing my mind here.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I just pulled that from a quick Google Search... It definitely looks off....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Were OEM part(s) removed / old parts in the dash replaced? Airbags removed?

This sounds & looks very shady...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were OEM part(s) removed / old parts in the dash replaced? Airbags removed?

This sounds & looks very shady...
There's no reason any interior parts should have been removed, which is why I'm worried. Let's say the tow company runs a chop shop of some sort (it actually does look like they run one). What could they possibly want to install in my car?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sounds like they stole something. I'd take it to dealer and ask a tech what could have been removed. If they dropped it the body work would have taken longer so they went into your dash. Go after them

·
Banned
157 Posts
File a report with the police. It might not go anywhere, but if they’re already investigating if the tow company is running a chop shop, this may be the final piece of evidence needed for a conviction.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I’d go with the scenario that they door was wide open and someone couldn’t find the hood release and put their opposite hand in that corner spot to lean down and look for the hood release and the weight of their body pushed the panel out of position. Or someone did the same thing reaching for the inspection/registration in that corner.

EDIT
Upon re-inspection of the picture it looks like the dashboard is proper and the A pillar is moved? Could the side airbag have been removed?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’d go with the scenario that they door was wide open and someone couldn’t find the hood release and put their opposite hand in that corner spot to lean down and look for the hood release and the weight of their body pushed the panel out of position. Or someone did the same thing reaching for the inspection/registration in that corner.

EDIT
Upon re-inspection of the picture it looks like the dashboard is proper and the A pillar is moved? Could the side airbag have been removed?
Yup, You are right. It seems that piece of trim on the pillar is not installed correctly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

EDIT
Good eye, that's what it was. A trip to the dealer confirmed the same conclusion. It's now fixed, and they claim I took it off (which I did not), so they charged me $70 for the diagnostic. I just remembered I got the dreaded keyless start error, which they fixed last time I was at the dealer. They claimed they wouldn't have touched the A-Pillar to replace the push start button, so they will not refund me the $70. Any truth in what they are saying?

If not that, then it's more likely that some fat mechanic did exactly what you said and pushed the panel out of position. My 140lb ass wouldn't have budged it out of place even if I tried :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

EDIT
Wow, you just saved me $70. I explained this scenario to the service advisor when picking up the car and he said that he's never heard of any techs popping an A-pillar out of position. So I tried it myself and while I was too light to pop the panel out of place I did feel it move a little. I told the service advisor to try it since he was probably 250 lbs and sure enough, he popped it back into the same position as in the picture I posted. He apologized and waived the $70 diag fee :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts