Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2015 Touring 2WD pilot that recently started having a burning smell under the hood. I checked and the radiator was very low with oil in it and the color of the oil was murkey. It also was leaking a little of oil. Suspecting a blown head gasket but the dealership is not knowing yet until they tear it apart. We have an extended power train warranty but discovered the 30k and 60k services needed to be down at the original dealership where we bought the car! They are trying to fight us on covering what the damage is going to be. We don't remember anything about that in the contract but it is there. Obviously we would have taken it to that dealership even though it is farther away.

Anyone have anything similar happen to their Honda? I don't get it. This is a well maintained car with 80k miles on it! Its a Honda. My mom bought the same thing that month as well and no problems. We are trying to get the dealership to work with us. Any advice or experience with this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
We have a 2015 Touring 2WD pilot that recently started having a burning smell under the hood. I checked and the radiator was very low with oil in it and the color of the oil was murkey. It also was leaking a little of oil. Suspecting a blown head gasket but the dealership is not knowing yet until they tear it apart. We have an extended power train warranty but discovered the 30k and 60k services needed to be down at the original dealership where we bought the car! They are trying to fight us on covering what the damage is going to be. We don't remember anything about that in the contract but it is there. Obviously we would have taken it to that dealership even though it is farther away.

Anyone have anything similar happen to their Honda? I don't get it. This is a well maintained car with 80k miles on it! Its a Honda. My mom bought the same thing that month as well and no problems. We are trying to get the dealership to work with us. Any advice or experience with this would be appreciated.
I wouldn't get to upset yet. Honda corporate may help on such a big issue.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
We have an extended power train warranty but discovered the 30k and 60k services needed to be down at the original dealership where we bought the car! They are trying to fight us on covering what the damage is going to be. We don't remember anything about that in the contract but it is there
Hope things work out for your Pilot. Extended warranties was a hard sell by an agitated finance manager when I purchased a new vehicle. One big flag was the third party company that the dealer used that offered the wonderful cover-all catch-all warranty that smelled like sweet coolant. Honda corporate seems like the best pathway to resolve your problem. Keep us up to date.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Worst case is having the car flatbedded to the dealer you bought it from for the work. If it's a Honda Care warranty it will end up covered where it is, else your AAA card will get it moved. Inconvenient but not fatal.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
The best thing you can do is work calmly with the dealership. Show them records that the 30k and 60k services were performed at another Honda dealer. Slowly work your way up the management chain at the dealer you purchased the Pilot from. It will be emotional since this could potentially be a lot of money out of your pocket, but keep the conversations non-confrontational. Best case they honor the warranty; worst case they don’t. If they don’t honor the claim (per the contract they are not obligated to) strive for an acceptable middle ground. As others have mentioned you can try getting Honda corporate involved, but being that your power train warranty is likely expired (I think you get 5yr/60k standard; perhaps more if certified used but you’ll need to check that) I wouldn’t expect much help from that front. Be firm and persistent with them, and hopefully you’ll reach a fair compromise. Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: RAVL

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
There aren't a lot of areas where coolant and engine oil typically mix... head gasket is definitely top of the list.

Maybe I'm wrong (Ok, I'm not), but head gaskets aren't required at the 30k or 60k service intervals and whatever may not have been done at those intervals has no bearing on the head gaskets.

We have a local dealer that offers "LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" on every new car sold. But the fine print tells you that you have to do every recommended service through them or they void the warranty. When I declined to pay $350 for the Tacoma's 10,000 miles services, which consisted of rotating tires, checking fluid levels and maybe an air filter I got into a not so friendly debate with a service manager about how things that aren't part of the powertrain impact a powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
Continue to fight--respectfully and calmly with the dealer. Nobody seems to know what a 30k or 60k service is because dealers add so much crap that's not necessary. A family member had Mercedes deny a warranty claim to repair something on the interior because they purchased tires from Discount Tire rather than using the dealer. Don't buy into the idea that you have to go to the dealer to keep your warranty intact.

As long as your car received frequent oil changes during the time you owned it that is enough maintenance. Of course most everyone recommends transmission (60k), rear differential fluid (15k and 60k?) be changed but I fail to see how that would cause a head gasket failure. Even coolant isn't recommended to be changed until 100k or so.

I would reach out to Honda and present your case. Of course your factory warranty is expired but I would imagine even Honda would be pretty unhappy to learn of that sort of a failure on a 5 year old car with only 80,000 miles (That's practically brand new in my eyes).

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
I agree 30k and 60k services have nothing to do with likely head gasket failure. If OP had purchased a HondaCare warranty it would not matter which dealership (or independent mechanic for that matter unless Honda could prove the independent mechanic messed up) the Pilot was maintenance serviced at. Unfortunately it sounds like the OP purchased a third party warranty with a clause stating services need to be performed at the dealership where the vehicle was purchased. That’s the uphill battle the OP will hopefully have success dealing with.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Did it have a vcm muzzler? If so I’d make sure that’s yanked off ASAP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts