Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2015 Pilot with '22 Passport Elite Wheels - Optimum No Rinse

501 13
I took the dive and bought the ONR two bucket kit off of Autogeek a couple months ago and finally took the dive to learn the method this morning. Got the new wheels put on last weekend and wanted to take pictures with the car cleaned up. Of note - it was around 30 degrees when I started and 38 or so by the time I finished. I did the Pilot and the Traverse.

For those looking for info on the wheels - they are 20x8.5 with a +55mm offset. The tires are 255/50R20. We have experienced absolutely no rubbing in the week we've had the new wheels and tires on. Power feels about the same and my wife's lead foot means mileage is poor regardless.

Process used:
  1. 1 oz or Optimum No Rinse per gallon since both cars were pretty heavily soiled. I did 3 gallons of water in each bucket, warm from the kitchen sink which made a big difference in my comfort because of how cold it is out. 1 of the buckets was straight water for rinsing the sponge.
  2. Big Red sponge from Optimum per detailing forum recommendations.
  3. It is weird how ONR doesn't foam up but it does feel slippery on the panel.
  4. Sponge in the ONR bucket, get some excess out and start on the panel. You shouldn't be using a lot of pressure. Finish the panel, sponge in the water bucket squeeze out a couple times then back to the ONR bucket.
  5. Now hit the panel with 2-3 sprays of your drying aid. I used Optimum Opti-Seal but there are a TON of products out there that do a good job and are reasonably priced.
  6. Dry the panel with a quality microfiber.
  7. Move to the next panel until you are done the car.
  8. I would wring out the microfiber every other panel and kept turning and folding to expose a new side.
  9. Took about 30 minutes to get around the car and this includes figuring out the process over the first couple panels. I take my time on the wheels and spent at least that much on them alone.
  10. I did not do the roof, but it can be done the same way. Laziness I guess.
  11. Wheels were done last after both cars, I did end up using a wheel and tire spray then dipped my tools in the ONR bucket. I wipe the tires dry with a dirty microfiber and did the normal Opti-Seal w/ microfiber on the wheels.
  12. Note I found this to not be very "aggressive", so leftover bug splatters or other more difficult debris on the paint remained after being cleaned.
  13. I did not focus much on the running boards or bare plastic parts on the Pilot. The lower part of the doors on the Traverse has more plastic so I did use it there and was satisfied.
What I will do differently:
  1. The Pilot is black. Black cars show EVERYTHING. I probably should have used multiple microfibers on the car to keep it cleaner, it is just a little streaky.
  2. Wait for warmer weather.
  3. I want to get one of the 1/2 gallon hand sprayers. I tend to wait a little too long between washes (because kids and life) so I would like to do a round of ONR through that to get the panels wet and help with extra lubricity when I put the sponge on it. Putting a sponge on a dry panel, especially one that is pretty soiled just feels wrong. I also think this may help with some of the more soiled areas.
  4. I want to use said hand sprayer on the wheels with clean water to rinse them before drying them. As it was I agitated the wheel and tire cleaner, then sort of threw a wet microfiber from the ONR bucket on it to sort of rinse it but I want to make sure that cleaner is rinsed off before moving to the drying aid stage.
Pics:

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive side marker light Car

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Automotive tire Drinkware Wood Automotive wheel system Auto part

Sky Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Sky Car
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Looks good. I'm also trying to take my personal detailing skills up a notch by paying closer attention to what and how I'm using what I have. Now you just have to find what will bring that trim back to life and you've got a really nice ride there.

· Registered
124 Posts
I do a power steering turkey baster suck and fill every oil change with the Honda fluid, that helps me keep tabs on the level pretty regularly. I'm not real interested in replacing steering components on most modern cars, they seem to be some of the most buried items in already cramped engine compartments.
That's actually a very good idea. I did the "Turkey Baster" method on a 2011 Cadillac but I did it over a 1 month period. I'd suck up all I could and then refill, drive around for for 2 or 3 days and do it again. It took me about 2 quarts of fluid to get it looking good again but it sure beats removing brake lines and bleeding them that way. And like you said, it gets you under the hood and looking at things i.e. checking connections, fluid, filters etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts