Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Pilot SE has 29,000 miles now, in 6 months it will be 7 years old with probably 33,000 miles on it. The dealership told me on my last visit (oil, transmission, brakes, differential) about a month ago, that at 7 years I have to do the Timing belt, water pump, etc., with an estimated cost of $1,600. (Sarasota).

Is it really that important the time (7 years) vs the miles, I think I should be able to drive the car at least until 50,000 miles before doing that job, what are your thoughts?

The car runs like new, I've been the only owner, I've never had a single problem with it, I am afraid that with big jobs within the car, collateral damage will happen. I am trying to keep it running as is for as long as possible, especially with the very low miles.

Thank you

·
Registered
585 Posts
You can stretch it a bit given the low mileage but don’t put it off forever. It is rubber and won’t last forever. I’m not sure on your math though - it seems like you would need a 2014 to be coming up on the 7 year mark. I’m preparing to do mine at 7.5 years and 63k miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right, I have until the end of 2021 to do it.

Are you doing it yourself or dealer? if dealer how much?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I’m doing it myself with the Aisin kit. Dealer quoted about $1200. I’ve done 10+ tbelts on various cars so Im pretty comfortable tackling it. Now I just got to quit procrastinating and get it done.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
We are in a similar boat, not as low of mileage (65k on our '15). I will look to replace in 2022, that's 8 years from the year of manufacture for the vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
The price given by the dealer should include the following: timing belt, tensioner, serpentine belt, water pump, coolant and possibly spark plugs. (Please let me know if I left anything out).

If these things aren't included in that price, then you are getting ripped off. Otherwise, its not outrageous for a dealer price. Of course you could get it done for less either by doing it yourself or finding a Honda/Acura independent mechanic in your area. Hopefully you know someone who can give you a recommendation. A mechanic who doesn't do this job properly can destroy your engine.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I never want to discourage maintenance of brakes because if your shoes were actually worn down metal to metal it would be a safety concern. I doubt seriously that you need brakes at 29k. Look at the thickness of your pads. The dif fluid is old, I may change that because of age.
As far as the timing belt goes, you know Honda's 7 year rule. "Since I do my own work," I'd Replace the belt and tensioner. Leave the water pump and pulleys alone (incoming tomatoes!).

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I never want to discourage maintenance of brakes because if your shoes were actually worn down metal to metal it would be a safety concern. I doubt seriously that you need brakes at 29k. Look at the thickness of your pads. The dif fluid is old, I may change that because of age.
As far as the timing belt goes, you know Honda's 7 year rule. "Since I do my own work," I'd Replace the belt and tensioner. Leave the water pump and pulleys alone (incoming tomatoes!).
Since you asked for it...

I am more conservative and would likely replace it all... I don't have the time for doing things again and have been burned a couple times when I tried to replace minimal parts.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I am more conservative and would likely replace it all... I don't have the time for doing things again and have been burned a couple times when I tried to replace minimal parts.
It's only got 29k miles. My suggestion is not rolling the dice. Especially if the OPs driving habits remain the same. 30k miles in 7 years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I thought it was to follow maintenance minder unless driving extreme conditions. Didn’t they take out the time interval in these newer Pilots?

Maintenance Minder 4

Replace timing belt and inspect water pump

If the vehicle is regularly driven in very high temperatures over 110 °F (43 °C), or in very low temperatures under -20 °F(-29 °C), or towing a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles (USA models)/100,000 km (Canada models) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Keep in mind that the awesome Honda V6 engine is an interference motor design. Time becomes the dominant factor when the vehicle is driven less. Belts age over time becoming dry/ brittle and miscellaneous fluids like engine oil, steering, brake etc can begin to break down before the mileage interval. IMO the TB should be replaced in another year or two but it could be good peace of mind to just get it done.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Keep in mind that the awesome Honda V6 engine is an interference motor design. Time becomes the dominant factor when the vehicle is driven less. Belts age over time becoming dry/ brittle and miscellaneous fluids like engine oil, steering, brake etc can begin to break down before the mileage interval. IMO the TB should be replaced in another year or two but it could be good peace of mind to just get it done.
I smell sarcasm... are any modern vehicles not interference engines? Higher lift equals more flow equals more power... with the downsizing trends I can't imagine any engines are not interference.

Reactions: aggrex
1 - 12 of 12 Posts