Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have 2015 EXL, around 90K miles, looking to get timing belt changed. I contacted several service dealerships in NJ. Here's cost I got for replacement of Timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, coolant flush, $900.00. What has everyone paid, any other cost that I should prepare for or any local mechanic can you recommend?

Thanks, have a great day!

Pjvspilot13

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would check your Honda dealership as well if you haven't already. Also I would recommend not doing the coolant flush. I have a 2015 Pilot Touring I just had mine done and the dealership said they don't recommend flushing the coolant in these engines.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was told the opposite from my dealer when I had mine done at 107,000 miles. I was told that they do not put old coolant back in so mine was flushed and replaced. Also, where is your spark plug replacement and valve adjustment? That is part of it too. Mine cost $1,700.00 before tax.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
I would check your Honda dealership as well if you haven't already. Also I would recommend not doing the coolant flush. I have a 2015 Pilot Touring I just had mine done and the dealership said they don't recommend flushing the coolant in these engines.
The dealership may not, but Honda does. It is a code 5 on the MM.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Is it really a flush?
The block is drained when the pump is removed. I'd have them drain the radiator too. At that point it takes about 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant to fill the system. Good enough, unless your cooling system has issues, such as rust, corrosion or a clogged heater core. Then a thorough flush with a cleaning solution may be needed.

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
Probably just a refill unless you have rust, corrosion issues. The manual just tells you to replace engine coolant with a 5 code. I know in the old days I would do a reverse flush back in the days of the heater core line adapters.

That way I would flush the heater core in the reverse direction of the normal coolant flow to push any gunk out. Never had a heater core plug up. Now they are totally different beast from the old days. Plus coolant don't break down under normal conditions as often.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a Honda dealership that told me they would do coolant flush, I guess it depends on each dealership. I don't have any issue's with my cooling system.

Also, another Honda dealership told me they recommend to change the timing belt at 80,000 miles when I told them mine has 90K miles.

MZX, which dealership worked on your pilot?

Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Also, another Honda dealership told me they recommend to change the timing belt at 80,000 miles when I told them mine has 90K miles.
It just really depends on how heavy your foot is and how fast you bust a move off the line. 😁 I do 90k mile belt changes. $900 is a good price. You might ask if they will include the idler pulley and timing belt tensioner pulley in that quote.
Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback.
Glad we could be of assistance. Let us know how things go please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It just really depends on how heavy your foot is and how fast you bust a move off the line. 😁 I do 90k mile belt changes. $900 is a good price. You might ask if they will include the idler pulley and timing belt tensioner pulley in that quote.
$900 includes the timing belt tensioner, not the pulley. If I do it without the pulley and timing belt tensioner, will this be something that will give an issue later on? Thanks again.

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
You are best replacing all the components at one time. It's cheep protection. 5K miles on the new timing belt and the tensioner starts to leak or idler freezes up and you will end up paying the same labor to fix it that you did 5K earlier to do the belt.

When the time comes I will do the timing belt, drive belt, water pump with gasket, timing belt tensioner, idler, hydraulic adjuster, camshaft seals, and crankshaft seal all at the same time. Also a valve adjustment if needed as well as plugs.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Is it really a flush?
The block is drained when the pump is removed. I'd have them drain the radiator too. At that point it takes about 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant to fill the system.
Have the radiator hoses replaced and the radiator will get drained.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
Hey All,

I have 2015 EXL, around 90K miles, looking to get timing belt changed. I contacted several service dealerships in NJ. Here's cost I got for replacement of Timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, coolant flush, $900.00. What has everyone paid, any other cost that I should prepare for or any local mechanic can you recommend?

Thanks, have a great day!

Pjvspilot13
Hey I’m in NJ also, could I ask which dealer this was at? Seems like a solid price and I wanna keep it in mine, when it’s my turn…down the road.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
That's a better price than I have been seeing in northern MD... google searching online there is some mysterious Anderson Honda (Cockeysville, MD) coupon for $599 but I confirmed with them they will not honor that.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
That's a better price than I have been seeing in northern MD... google searching online there is some mysterious Anderson Honda (Cockeysville, MD) coupon for $599 but I confirmed with them they will not honor that.
That must be an old, now click bait coupon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did my timing belt replacement at Freehold Honda.
Total cost was 698.25
Timing belt replaced,
Water pump
Collant

This was on 2/16/2019 @ 92,370miles.
I was experiencing that tensioner noise issue so had them do the entire job.

2010 ex-l

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I can remember members here posting some pretty low sale and coupon prices for the work from dealers. Of course, the local store here in the middle of Oregon has nothing like that when I might consider letting them do the work. There's no other dealer competition this side of the mountains. So a captive fan base I guess.

And thanks for the heads-up on the counterfeit stuff from bezos. I was getting ready to click the box.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I did my timing belt replacement at Freehold Honda.
Total cost was 698.25
Timing belt replaced,
Water pump
Collant

This was on 2/16/2019 @ 92,370miles.
I was experiencing that tensioner noise issue so had them do the entire job.

2010 ex-l
Freehold has a coupon for $750 V6 timing belt... now is it worth a 3 hour drive for me...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts