Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time post.

i have a 2015 Honda Pilot with 59k miles. The power steering pump has started making noises after driving around for an hour or so. At first it sounded like a transmission noise because you could hear the sound while shifting gears, but after looking under the hood it seems to be the power steering pump is making the noise. I can cut car off for a few minutes and start it up and noise goes away. I have read of the older models having o-ring problems but that doesn't seem to affect this year model. Any input would be helpful, thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have you tried a fluid change? Usually when the o rings go back you will see air in the fluid and it will form up a bit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried a fluid change? Usually when the o rings go back you will see air in the fluid and it will form up a bit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
No I haven't tried changing the fluid yet. The fluid did have bubbles in it while making the noise

·
Registered
332 Posts
This is a common problem on first gen Pilots. I don't know if this suggestion will entirely apply to yours.

Check both ends of the power steering rack for leaks. If you're losing fluid there, a new rack is probably in your future. If that's OK, check the rest of the hose connections, too.

If your bubbles are like a foam "head" in the reservoir, you have a leak on the intake side of the pump. As BYUfan noted, its probably a bad o-ring, possibly the intake hose. Changing both is easy and cheap. If you make that change, you'll introduce air into the system that will take several days to be purged in normal driving.

If your fluid level is below "full", it can cause noise. You'll have to check multiple times after you remove and refill the old fluid, as level in the reservoir will change as air gets purged.

It took me two weeks and 1000 miles of driving to get rid of all the noise caused by a leaking o-ring. If you don't find fluid leaking out, your problem is sucking air in somewhere between the reservoir and the pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts